MINI E Talk (2010) Discussion of the electric, zero-emissions field trial MINI. Only 500 to be leased by MINIUSA!

Where do we stand?

Old 03-27-2009, 10:17 AM
ElectroBoy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Mini mail for me! I guess I'm not in the "inner circle" yet. I submitted my financials Monday, but Bmw has yet to buzz my file according to my credit monitoring service. Patience, patience.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:48 AM
Jethro
1st Gear
Just had site inspection this morning! :)

I too received the e-mail yesterday and got them out today for the inspection. In my case we have a 100amp panel. Our house was built in 1992 and I was told most newer homes have a 200amp panel which makes things a lot easier. Steve from Clean Fuel was really nice and explained all sorts of electrical stuff to me about our panel. He's going to do a load calculation and see if our current panel can handle the additional charge. If not, they'll need to upgrade my panel and that sounds expensive. He said Clean Fuel should be getting back to me pretty quick with more info.

We also discussed the placement of the charging unit. I asked if it could go on a stand but was told no. It must be wall mounted. We found a couple of good places it can go. No problem there.

He was here for maybe a 1/2 hour but probably would have been gone in about 10 minutes if I hadn't kept asking him questions.

Jethro
Long Beach, CA
http://electricminicooper.blogspot.com/

Old 03-27-2009, 12:38 PM
ElectroBoy
2nd Gear
I'm in the Inner Circle!

Just got my email from Clean Fuel to do the inspection.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:18 PM
soareyes
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ElectroBoy
Just got my email from Clean Fuel to do the inspection.
I pm'd you a copy of the "Plugged-In" newsletter too in case they haven't sent that yet.

Stan

Old 03-27-2009, 01:25 PM
soareyes
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Jethro
I too received the e-mail yesterday and got them out today for the inspection. In my case we have a 100amp panel. Our house was built in 1992 and I was told most newer homes have a 200amp panel which makes things a lot easier.
Jethro
Long Beach, CA
Mines only 100 amp too, and it doesn't look to me like there is room to add any more breakers. I suppose upgrading won't be cheap, but I would probably have to upgrade anyway if I planned to get any electric car in the future.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:55 PM
ElectroBoy
2nd Gear
Just Had My Inspection

Just got off the phone with the electrical subcontractor. Unfortunately I wasn't able to meet him - he was supposed to meet me at 2:30 but my wife called me saying he was there at 1:30. But we did get a chance to speak - here are a few tidbits for those of you waiting on inspections:

- he is a subcontractor to CFCI, in his case covering Southern OC - so I'm guessing they have similar arrangements throughout the basin, so this should go quickly (ie. earlier posts thought it might be 2-3 guys trying to get to 250 houses)

- in my case I've got a good 200A panel with plenty of room - the only issue is that my panel is as far as it can be from my garage. I have an "L" shaped house - the garage is the bottom stubby part of the L, and the panel is at the top left side of the L.

- so we are looking at a long conduit run, up through the attic. He's not sure whether Mini will cover that - sounds like their task right now is to estimate each job, submit to Mini, and Mini will decide from there what they will and will not pay for.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:11 PM
ChasSidwa
1st Gear
I just got contacted today by CFC to set up an appointment. It is starting here in NJ!

Old 04-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Waterway4
2nd Gear
I like NO C8H18. My wife is a chemistry teacher and will often be driving the MINI-E to work. Could be interesting. Can I wrassle up the chutzpah to actually order it?

Old 04-01-2009, 07:20 PM
GoDucks
2nd Gear
My inspection is scheduled for Monday. I'm going to have the contractor for my home renovation (plans were just approved by the city btw) attend to make sure both contractors stay coordinated. My house was built in the 50s and has 100 amp service. I'm hoping since my other plans were approved and they include electrical, there might be a shortcut way to get the city to issue a permit for the electrical work, but that might be kind of optimistic.

Waterway, I'm also in OC so I'll be looking out for that license plate

- Scott

Old 04-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Waterway4
2nd Gear
I did it. NO C8H18 is mine. Our neighbors think we're nerds. This will erase any doubts they may have had.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:09 PM
ElectroBoy
2nd Gear
If you can figure out a way to attach a pocket-protector to the Mini E, then you'll be really all set!

On the other hand, maybe your neighbors are IM'ers who will think you are spelling "No Cate-Hatin' ". You can make up a story that "Cate" is the gang-name of a West Coast rapper you hang out with. Instant street-cred!

Old 04-02-2009, 06:55 PM
rphooper
1st Gear
I got an email asking when would be a good time for a home inspection within the next two weeks. It looks like they will be starting this process on the East Coast before they are finished with everything on the West Coast.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:59 PM
Waterway4
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ElectroBoy
On the other hand, maybe your neighbors are IM'ers who will think you are spelling "No Cate-Hatin' ". You can make up a story that "Cate" is the gang-name of a West Coast rapper you hang out with. Instant street-cred!
I just won't wear my "I make stuff up" t-shirt when I tell 'em

Old 04-03-2009, 06:48 PM
ChasSidwa
1st Gear
Electrical inspection scheduled 9:00AM 04/06. Progress here in NJ.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:15 PM
soareyes
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ChasSidwa
Electrical inspection scheduled 9:00AM 04/06. Progress here in NJ.
Great news!

I'm still waiting for my appointment to be scheduled here on the west coast Hopefully soon!

Stan

Old 04-03-2009, 10:51 PM
Waterway4
2nd Gear
I had the inspection earlier today and I'm ready to go. The install of a 220V 50A line did the trick. I imagine there will be more paperwork before the charging station is hooked in.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:30 PM
ElectroBoy
2nd Gear
Good stuff, Waterway!

Looks like they're moving pretty quickly on both coasts now.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:43 AM
lunchbox
1st Gear
I got an email and a call here in NY to schedule and appointment ASAP. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to pull the plug myself and take myself out of contention for the Mini-E. I can't convince myself to sell one of my other cars to make room for it. Sucks, because it would have been a cool experience.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:10 AM
edgein
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Waterway4
I did it. NO C8H18 is mine. Our neighbors think we're nerds. This will erase any doubts they may have had.
So you took it, huh? Even though it was my favorite, I decided against it for the exact reason you mentioned. My co-workers said "Why don't you just get KICK ME"? I told them it was already taken...

Old 04-06-2009, 11:05 AM
rphooper
1st Gear
I had the initial inspection today and passed even with only having a 100A fuss box, I have a small house and they are only installing a 40A charger. Next step signing a contract with CFCI and getting the charger installed.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:11 AM
ElectroBoy
2nd Gear
Congratulations, Robert. And nice job on the blog, too. I find myself going to it quite a bit, for your own story but also for the useful Mini E links you've assembled.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:07 PM
wg2345
1st Gear
Glad to have found these threads -- thanks to all who have contributed info - it's helped a lot.

Had my electrical inspection done last week (LA area) and it's a go. Bought our house (1923) last Fall and have been in the process of rewiring and getting solar. Some of the info on the blogs and here was helpful in getting a suitable enough rewire done to my garage so the inspection was a breeze.

Look forward to getting that Mini-E soon -- and I'm glad to hear there's the option to get the white carpool lane stickers. Have been real used to having those over the last few years.

I say it's about time a new highway speed all-electric vehicle became available (and for less than $100K!).

Here's to improved battery technology in the future which will get the prices down and the range up!

2005 Toyota Prius (Hymotion Plug-in)
... soon Mini-E!

Last edited by wg2345; 04-06-2009 at 01:11 PM. Reason: update info about locale
Old 04-06-2009, 05:05 PM
ChasSidwa
1st Gear
I had my electrical inspection here in NJ this morning, it's a go. Waiting for the install!

Old 04-07-2009, 09:13 AM
ChasSidwa
1st Gear
Here is my lattest update.

Mr. Sidwa-

Now we get the inspection information to MINI and once they approve your installation then I will contact you with another request for availability and appointment dates. Once the installation appointment is set through the contractor, and all appropriate permits pulled, then they will come out and install your wall box. After that there is one more appointment to install the charging cable, as we have experienced delays with its production. When the cable is installed, and the charger up and running, our part in this process will be complete and we will coordinate that information to MINI and your dealer so that you may take delivery of your vehicle.

Any other questions let me know.

Thank You-

Christopher Reich

Old 04-07-2009, 05:12 PM
Jethro
1st Gear
Had second site visit - Good News to Report!

Earlier today I had a second visit to check out the electrical panel. Today, Rue Phillips came by. Rue's company was involved in the EV1 roll out and he is VERY familiar with electrical vehicles, chargers, etc. The difference between this visit with Rue and the first visit was like night and day. Rue lives and breaths electric vehicles and knows his stuff. I was happy to find out that my 100amp panel is fine. Even though it's full and appears to be maxed out, no problem. Reason being is that Edison is moving full speed ahead with the assumption that more and more folks will be using electric vehicles and planning accordingly. They have a special piggy back Electric Meter that will replace my meter. My current meter will be pulled out. The new meter will go into the same hole. The second meter is attached to the first meter, sticks off to one side. There will also be a small box that will attach with four screws that will contain a shut off. This will mount next to the meter. Lastly there will be a small wire running from this box to a ground. This is all on the outside of the house. On the inside of the garage will be the charger. I also found out there will be a timer that I can have set to the time I'd like the vehicle to charge. In my area there are special EV rates if you charge from 9pm - 12 noon. This will allow me to plug the vehicle in when I get home and not worry about forgetting to plug in the car at 9pm. Rue said my install is very straight forward and that the next step will be pulling permits. I was very happy with Rue and this news!

Jethro
Long Beach, CA

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where do we stand?