Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Stock '09 Where to start Modding?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 02:34 PM
Dv8
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock '09 Where to start Modding?

I got my dads '03 to just under 200 whp on a mustang dyno conservatively. He just bought a stock '09 and wants to start modding it up. Manual S, of course. Where do I start?

Intake? which one? The AEM looks complete with a scoop and box. A Gimmick?
Intercooler/brand?
Downpipe/brand?
Diverter Valve
RMV Tune/Any other worthy tuners?
Inexpensive Coilovers?

We are running 17 psi in the '03 blower. That was considered above average for boost to redline. Whats equivalent for this turbo motor?

Thanks guys!

~Dv8

Old 09-09-2016, 03:41 PM
NeonLed
3rd Gear
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Intake is more for sound than anything, could go with the JCW intake or a simple pod filter (DDM Works, NM, AEM...)

Intercooler: Forge, Helix and Alta is what most people run from what I'v seen, some cheap out and go with the ebay special.

Downpipe: Catless will give the most power, WMW, Milltek and MarioKart also sells them (member on here). There are forum posts on catless vs catted for more info. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...s-options.html

Dv: I just went with the Alta spring to hold boost and closes faster in between shifts. There's plenty of posts on upgrading the Dv.

Tune: Manic seems to be the more popular one right now, you can msg MarioKart for more info or go and read his thread. JB Plus and AccessPort are plugin play and pop up now and then on the gen2 market.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ew-thread.html

Im running 18-19 on my S, but I saw someone say they can hit 21psi.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:06 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Dv8
I got my dads '03 to just under 200 whp on a mustang dyno conservatively. He just bought a stock '09 and wants to start modding it up. Manual S, of course. Where do I start?

~Dv8
Where you start depends on your ultimate target and timeline. I wanted big power so I started with big turbo, 3" catless, and ported head. Lotsa "little stuff" too. After hitting 360+ on a mustang dyno, it blew up --- my error --- made some bad choices / decisions. Only a few 2nd gen mini's out there with 300+ --- not an easy target. I suggest you go for under 300, and even then, re-build the engine bottom end --- they aren't mfg'd as strong as 1st gen's.

2nd gen MCS ECU limits boost at 22PSI. My Manic tune upped that to 30, which is one reason my engine blew --- too much boost for OEM compression. Staying at or below 22 gives you a bigger choice of aftermarket turbo selection.

RMW was a popular tune --- support is OK IF you're local to him --- lotsa complaints about returning calls. Manic seems to be the current tune of choice. Check their website for the closest dealer.

So, start with "small" mods and get familiar with your specific car, or throw some serious money at it and see what happens. Lotsa advice and build threads available on this and other forums.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:21 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 762 Likes on 622 Posts
Save your money and pass on the intake as they just don't make the numbers.

Forge Intercooler will be number one mod
https://www.waymotorworks.com/forge-...r-s-turbo.html

Then our WMW pipes are cost effective an noticable difference
Noise Maker delete
https://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-no...5-r56-r57.html

Resonator Delete pipe
https://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-re...7-r58-r59.html

Then Powerflex Torque Arm bushing will reduce the engine rock and improve shifting
https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...unt-large.html

After those simple things you can decide if you want to jump big and go with a downpipe and tune, or just go to a tune.
Akrapovic Downpipe
https://www.waymotorworks.com/akrapo...6-r57-r58.html

ECU Tune
https://www.waymotorworks.com/perfor...-cooper-s.html

for inexpensive coilovers the Megan Racing have been very reliable and right now get a $50 rebate on them
https://www.waymotorworks.com/megan-...7-r58-r59.html

Happy to help with whatever we can

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 09-10-2016, 10:33 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
Where you start depends on your ultimate target and timeline. I wanted big power so I started with big turbo, 3" catless, and ported head. Lotsa "little stuff" too. After hitting 360+ on a mustang dyno, it blew up --- my error --- made some bad choices / decisions. Only a few 2nd gen mini's out there with 300+ --- not an easy target. I suggest you go for under 300, and even then, re-build the engine bottom end --- they aren't mfg'd as strong as 1st gen's. 2nd gen MCS ECU limits boost at 22PSI. My Manic tune upped that to 30, which is one reason my engine blew --- too much boost for OEM compression. Staying at or below 22 gives you a bigger choice of aftermarket turbo selection. RMW was a popular tune --- support is OK IF you're local to him --- lotsa complaints about returning calls. Manic seems to be the current tune of choice. Check their website for the closest dealer. So, start with "small" mods and get familiar with your specific car, or throw some serious money at it and see what happens. Lotsa advice and build threads available on this and other forums.
Your forged 10.0CR motor blew? I hope I read it wrong, but if I didn't, what happened?

mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 09-11-2016, 05:44 AM
spjonez
1st Gear
I have the same car and it has plenty of power stock. Here's the mod's I've done so far and the order I've done them in.

1. Tires. Replace the run flats asap it's the biggest handling improvement you can make.
2. 22mm rear sway bar. Makes the car handle more neutral during high speed cornering.
3. FMIC, I got a Wagner but all the ones listed above are great. Don't buy one off eBay support the companies who R&D designs.
4. ECU Tune, Alta Accessport's are amazing if you plan on slowly modding your car.
5. Camber plates (if you track the car)
6. Oil catch can. If your engine hasn't been walnut blasted before do that first and add a catch can. You'll be surprised at the difference this makes on higher mileage engines (>50,000km).
7. Upgraded brakes/pads. The OEM brakes do not hold up on the track once you start pushing the car.

#1-5 shaved over 10s off my lap time. Next I'll be doing springs, rear control arms, polyurethane bushings, and a limited slip diff. Unless you can get the upgraded JCW air intake I wouldn't waste your money on one. All the open air intakes do is make noise and you'll be sucking in hot air.

Last edited by spjonez; 09-11-2016 at 05:59 AM.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:18 AM
Davers
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I just added a drop-in KN filter to the stock box and added a JB+ and SB to the car and did a resonator delete to give it a little better sound.
Its made a differance for me but i dont race or do track so I'am happy with the result.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:51 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by MarioKart
Your forged 10.0CR motor blew? I hope I read it wrong, but if I didn't, what happened?

Couple different opinions on why it blew --- on my thread with pics --- https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e-deadest.html
I believe it was caused by 10.5:1CR with 30PSI boost on a drag strip. Didn't use ARP studs and the block needs a Cylinder Support System --- look at all the coolant jacket around the cylinders --- couldn't handle the pressure and temps.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:02 AM
Dv8
1st Gear
Thanks all for the detailed replies. I swapped over the BFG Sport Comp2 tires from the 03 last night for him, the 09 had all weather tires... I need to lower the car asap, wheel gap is massive. We are getting ready to install a tune and a couple of supporting parts in the next couple weeks. Need to revert the 03 back to emission friendly so we can sell off and cycle it back into this 09. Mean while i also need to prep my GTR for my next race. Busy Fall.

~Dv8

Old 09-30-2016, 09:24 AM
Dv8
1st Gear
Mods I completed for my dad.

Intercooler Forge
Decat Downpipe Milltek
Decat Exhaust CNT
NGK iridium plugs
WMW Performance Blow off Valve
Pelican OE lower window cowl
Pelican OE lower bumper lip
Griffin Motorwerke 90 Degree O2 sensor spacer

MarioKart Manic Stage 2 Tune

Drives smooth and clean, has boosted up power considerably. Sport mode has all sorts of burbles and pops off-throttle. Fun time for a 65 year old man.

Thanks all.

~Dv8

Old 09-30-2016, 11:16 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Hi DV8,
I'm glad it all worked out and I hope your Dad enjoys his new more power Mini. The tune really wakes up the car.
Let me know if you need anything else
Thanks
Mario

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp