Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain K9jcw

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 02:47 PM
K9MINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
K9jcw

K9MINI is now JCW equiped . I have kit # s3863 . The install took place last week and took a nice ride today and boy do I love it! I had to decide whether or not to keep my Borla Race exhaust and had decided to go with the works system for resale reasons. I miss the sweet sound of my Borla system but it was one or the other. I feel the power band rather than hear it if that makes any sense . So the Borla is for sale in the market place in the NJ/NY region.

Old 08-24-2004, 03:12 PM
CharlesWil
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by K9MINI
K9MINI is now JCW equiped . I have kit # s3863 . The install took place last week and took a nice ride today and boy do I love it! I had to decide whether or not to keep my Borla Race exhaust and had decided to go with the works system for resale reasons. I miss the sweet sound of my Borla system but it was one or the other. I feel the power band rather than hear it if that makes any sense . So the Borla is for sale in the market place in the NJ/NY region.
Hey K9MINI,
Enjoy, just watch out for the blue lights.
Charles

Old 08-24-2004, 06:09 PM
marksmith
3rd Gear
Congrats!!

Glad to hear your enjoying the JCW kit. The break-in is trying (1000-1400 miles or so?) I had kit #351 on my 1st MCS and my new car is #5574. Hard to imagine it's gone past #5000!
-I too experienced an exhaust trade-off: #351 had a Supersprint sport exhaust which was pretty loud. The JCW seems so docile by comparison but as you say it's part of the package. Some folks have tried running a straight mid-pipe (the Supersprint may bolt right up) and I hear JCW will be offering their own mid-pipe fror US sales this fall.
-Have you ever driven w/ the rear seats folded down & the boot cover removed? It adds a lot of wosh at WOT and sound very nice.
Enjoy!

Old 08-24-2004, 08:07 PM
K9MINI
4th Gear
I don't have any back seats so I am getting the full volume of the Exhaust full time . I am very interested in the mid-pipe option. How many kits have been sold in the US? Thanks

Old 08-24-2004, 08:16 PM
buz
3rd Gear
Congrats on the JCW kit. The exhaust does have a rather tame yet sweet note. I wanted a bit more volume and had the resonators removed. The note is still tame and sweet but now has more presence. :smile:

Old 08-24-2004, 08:29 PM
K9MINI
4th Gear
Hey Buz ,When you say resonators do you mean in the mufflers? Or do you mean in the mid pipe? thanks

Old 08-24-2004, 08:47 PM
buz
3rd Gear
The resonators are in the mid pipe. I had a muffler shop with tons of Mini experience remove them. $65 well spent. Much improved sound and, by the pants dyno, a bit better power.

Old 08-25-2004, 05:34 AM
marksmith
3rd Gear
Mid-pipes...

By removing the resonators I assume this means your fabricator it out & welded in a section of stainless pipe, may have used clamps?
-As far as taking the resonators out & saving them for future reuse how about simply having a muffer shop make as straight section of matching stainless and putting it in line (is this what you did Buz?)
-I can't see that there is any difference between buying a Supersprint or JCW mid pipe and having one fabricated by a good installer?
-Drone: Buz, do you get any droaning w/ the straight pipe and the JCW exhaust? How about the 3500-4500rpm range where droaning is most likly to happen?
-The simpler straight path (non-resonator) MCS Copper exhaust systems (aftermarket or JCW) simply sounds great! (my wife on the other hand was not a fan of our "loud" MCS and prefers the JCW car.) Oh well.

Old 08-25-2004, 06:24 AM
DDTUNG
2nd Gear
Just use the mid pipe from the stock exhaust that you removed.

DDTUNG