MINI Collectibles Discuss new finds and organize trades of MINI collectibles.

MINI Slot Cars

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 07:02 PM
Smokey
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice! I'm still waiting to pick up that one and the Barons No 18.......

Old 03-22-2007, 09:40 PM
Louispup
5th Gear
Nice racer.

I finally took some pics of the set-up, which I'll post here.
These little cars are pretty tough, and the crashes always seem to satisfy.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:29 PM
paulgraz
4th Gear
Has anyone peeked at the Carrera web site - there are 2 new MINIs coming in the 1:43 scale GO! series - Mello Yellow and Hyper Blue Checkmate!

http://us.carrera-toys.com/6390.0.html

Old 04-02-2007, 05:45 PM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Where would you guys recommend buying the stuff at, track and cars

Old 04-02-2007, 06:16 PM
paulgraz
4th Gear
Support your local hobby shop!

If you can't do that - support MY local hobby shop!

http://www.geocities.com/njhobby/

Don't expect much from the web page, but Joe - the owner - is a great guy. Just give him a call and tell him what you're looking for...

Old 04-02-2007, 06:18 PM
everytimeidie027
6th Gear
I love local hobby shops, I had 2 around me.. but now they're gone

Old 04-02-2007, 06:38 PM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks like I gotta go to Overlea Hobbies tomorrow

Old 04-04-2007, 10:03 AM
Louispup
5th Gear
Originally Posted by paulgraz
Has anyone peeked at the Carrera web site - there are 2 new MINIs coming in the 1:43 scale GO! series - Mello Yellow and Hyper Blue Checkmate!

http://us.carrera-toys.com/6390.0.html
I guess the hyper blue would be easier to paint to match my brg. Maybe I could putty in the hood scoop.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:48 PM
NOSUV4ME
2nd Gear
Anyone looking for Scalextric Limited Edition John Cooper Challenge cars, I have two listed in the Marketplace Forum. Brand new in original boxes - never used.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:03 AM
paulgraz
4th Gear
Sorry for the last minute notice - if there's anyone out there in NJ, tonight is Scalextric MINIs at NJ Nostalgia Hobby in Scotch Plains. The HO-scale track is down, and a new 1/32 track has taken it's place for the rest of the year. Tonight is the 1st 1/32 race of the "season"...

http://www.geocities.com/njhobby/

Old 07-13-2007, 08:57 AM
z3bum
5th Gear
Wow!
So cool. I have been getting my nephews into Scalextric racing. They have a decent sized track, but no details, and no digital (yet) Maybe this winter it will be time to get some digital features going and enough controllers to race six MINIs... fun!

Originally Posted by gokartride
I know it's come up in isolated instances before, but I thought it might be good to have an all-inclusive thread devoted specifically to MINI slot cars.

Just to start, I have two digital MCSs and four Coopers awaiting digital chipping. Here's the Coopers.

I had built an early digital track which has been dismantled for something better. Here's one of the digital MCSs hitting the esses on that earlier track.

The new track I've started is cool. It's on two levels. Here's a pic of the only lower level section I've done any real work on...notice the Cotswold stone wall in the back is incomplete. The wall is squishy, so it makes a great barrier.

Another shot of the wall

Finally, no even would be complete w/o a classic showing up. This one is a SCX model. I can't wait to make this one digital.

So there's lots of ways to indulge one's MINI obsession. This particular one should keep me busy for a long, long time!!! I have "plans!"

Old 07-21-2007, 06:27 PM
paulgraz
4th Gear
Look what's just out - new from Carrera:

Support your local hobby shop - our you can order these from MY local hobby shop: http://www.geocities.com/njhobby/

Old 09-02-2007, 09:06 PM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm getting ready for another cookout for my local MINI club (DC Metro MINIs) and am setting up a small 1/32 layout for the party. I had several months ago picked up a Scalextric Italian Job in white and have been looking for some other MINI's to have a set for the gang to race.

I went to a slot car swap meet a couple weeks ago and after seeing what some of my old T Jets are worth, wow. I have a original T Jet Batmobile in good shape and some others with varying amounts of 'play wear and tear'.

So I decided to save the white Itlian Job one and after some searching found the other two, the red and blue to make a collection. They made 7500 of each color and I think I'll just put them in with my diecast display.

I picked up a set of the Scaly John Cooper Challenge cars this weekend for the club to play with at the cookout (the store owner offered to and broke up a set to sell them to me). When I mentioned what I was doing he said to stop by a week before and he'd see if he could scrounge up a pair of those low cost 'rough use for kids etc' ones for me to borrow for the cookout to save wear and tear on these! Very nice guy. Bought some odds and ends and will get most stuff through him, very helpful guy.

I did find online before going to his shop that Hardy / Scalextric makes a few static models in 1/32nd where it's the same body they use for the slot cars including the MINI. So for $9.99 each I got a couple extra Hardy / Scalextric MINI Cooper bodies I can tweak for the cars. I'll try cutting off the roof on one to 'mod' it into a model more like my car. The other two I might mount on the challenge car chassis for the cookout if he doens't find loaners for me.

I figured maybe I can do a decal of the DC Meto MINIs logo and put those on the roof too.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:44 PM
paulgraz
4th Gear
Nice! You can also find Ninco MINIs fairly cheap - usually less than the Scalys. Personally I think the Nincos are more fun to drive - but they're noisy.

Slot car swap meet a couple weeks ago - that must have been the one at the Clarion Hotel in Aberdeen, MD on 8/26? Good show...

Old 09-03-2007, 08:08 PM
mmatarella
6th Gear
I saw the Ninco's too at the local shop too. I only stuck with the Scalextric so far because I had the one MINI from them and liked it.

I'll have to branch out and try other brands though, there are so many cool cars that've been made! Love the new this year I think Mercedes 300 SLR model from Scaley... And yes it was the Aberdeen show. I need to find out about more shows. I go up to PA a good bit too. There is supposed to be a King track I think at Keystone Raceway in Hershey. Going to check that out next trip.

My late fall early winter project is going to be a routed wooden track with a big honkin' banked turn like the ones I drove when I was a kid. I've done some testing work already.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:15 PM
paulgraz
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mmatarella
My late fall early winter project is going to be a routed wooden track with a big honkin' banked turn like the ones I drove when I was a kid. I've done some testing work already.
That sounds awesome! If you need people to drop by and test that out, just ask!

Old 09-27-2007, 02:28 PM
Crusoe
4th Gear
I have the Carrera Go set and had it setup on my computer desk for a while.
What I don't like is these run at a scale speed of 415 MPH. What I want do is convert them to FWD, remove or use a smaller magnet, and limit the throttle to get the scale speed and handling limits to be a bit more realistic.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:37 PM
paulgraz
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Crusoe
What I don't like is these run at a scale speed of 415 MPH. What I want do is convert them to FWD, remove or use a smaller magnet, and limit the throttle to get the scale speed and handling limits to be a bit more realistic.
Converting them to FWD would be a project, but a simpler solution might be to just get a different power supply. If you got an adjustable power supply, you could dial down the voltage and the cars would run slower. Or maybe wire in a resistor into each car - that would also limit the power.

Seems to me I've seen that pic of your computer desk before, maybe in another thread. It's pretty cool. I can't help but think that the laptop should be hooked up to the track to record lap times...

I still prefer HO scale (classic Aurora Thunderjets), although I now have some cars in HO, 1/43, 1/32, and even 1/24th. So many slot cars, so little time...

Old 09-27-2007, 03:09 PM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Originally Posted by paulgraz
That sounds awesome! If you need people to drop by and test that out, just ask!
Will do! Have the track for this weekend about done. Got the computer timing / lap counting running too.

Originally Posted by Crusoe
I thought I'd have to take the magnets out of these, but I moved them to the middle position and they get a little more tail happy. You can also remove the bar magnet and replace it and put a small button one all the way up front and I'll try that next. I'd rather keep them down to T Jet speed where you can react to the slides and actually see and drive them. Or especially to where beginners can react fast enough to have fun.

I opted to buy a variable power supply. You can dial it from about 8v all the way up to 28 volts. The higher volatages are for the old HO Thunderjets. Dial it down a little extra for kids and newbies. It'll do 10 amps so no surge when a car comes off. And I can use it with both the 1/32nd and HO stuff I'll ever do.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:18 PM
paulgraz
4th Gear
This is where I got my power supply:

http://www.slotcars.org/hodra/ag&gProducts2.htm

$125 is a bit steep for some - but given what I have invested in my track, it's reasonable.

We run it at 18 volts for the t-jets...

Old 09-27-2007, 05:11 PM
mmatarella
6th Gear
I bought similar... Plan on using it for the small 1/32nd layout and HO for now, and for a routed wooden 1/32 probably 3 lanes this winter.

from Trackmate... "Ideal for HO and 1:32 scale. Cooler running motors. No power surge when car deslots. Short circuit protection. Digital Voltage and Current Readouts. Coarse and fine voltage adjustments. Maximum current adjustment( this would normally be set to maximum ). Get faster acceleration and consistent power. Only one power supply required for a 4 Lane track. Only $115.00. Shipping is $28.00 to anywhere in Canada and USA. "

Old 09-28-2007, 05:59 AM
paulgraz
4th Gear
Nice - and I see Trakmate has a new website since my last visit there! Trakmate for DOS has been our standard timing/counting system for years - I still prefer that over their windows version...

Old 09-28-2007, 06:14 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got Scalextric's new Morris Mini Cooper.....nice! It may be a bugger to convert to digital so we'll see on that. Either way, I have enough digital MINIs to make things interesting when running digital, and I can convert the track to analog to run cars that are unchipped. I tend to take the magnets out of all my cars and add weight.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:31 PM
paulgraz
4th Gear
Picked up the 2 new Scalextrics today - my local hobby shop guy has been holding them for me for weeks!

Attached Thumbnails MINI Slot Cars-dsc_1182.jpg  
Old 10-29-2007, 06:11 PM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Here's a video of a cookout at my place a few weeks back. 33 seconds in it turns into footage of DCMM members racing a pair of Scaly MINI's on a small layout I set up for this cookout and a couple other functions.

If you haven't seen it there's a video (not mine) on YouTube called "Last MINI Standing" that is MINI centric.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fjSI6QbJcY

Last edited by mmatarella; 01-03-2008 at 06:43 PM.

Quick Reply: MINI Slot Cars