MINI Camera and Video Interested in capturing your motoring experience? Discuss here your favorite video and photography skills using your MINI.

Need a camera recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 12:02 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a camera recommendation

Ok Photo Geeks....time to help a photo noob out.

In about two to two and a half months from now I'll be purchasing a digital camera. This will be purchased initially for the trip to MOTD but will be used in the future for: family functions, MINI club get togethers and anything else I might need to take a photo of.

I'm not a photo geek yet but would love to take great pictures. One thing that narrows down the choices is that I feel I have to have Image Stabilization. I don't have the steadiest of hands when holding a camera.

I found three which may fit the bill. Each is under $500 and that price point is a must. Anything over $500 is out of the question. I also like a long zoom. Can't give you a specific example of when I need one but I've used some before and when they couldn't get close enough I'd end up cursing under my breath.

The three are:

Canon PowerShot S2 IS
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...&modelid=11368

Sony Cyber Shot DSC-H1
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...s_megapixels_5

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20K
http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...®&displayTab=S

Are any of these three a good camera to go with? Are there any others I should consider?

Thanks for the help!

Matt

Old 02-09-2006, 02:32 PM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I friend of mine bought the Panasonic and is very happy with it. Good bang for the buck. She uses it for similar purposes as you're talking about. She was in the US for 2 months and got it just after she got here. Takes nice pics, easy to use, nice big zoom in a relatively compact camera.
Another option might be the Casio EXILIM EX-Z57. Another friend bought this one and is very happy. Very small size, 2.2" lcd screen, 3x optical and 4x digital zoom, 5 megapixel camera for between $200 and $250. Nice little unit.
Here is the Best Buy page for the Casio.

Old 02-09-2006, 03:02 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Thanks Agro. I'll take a look at the Casio as well.

Old 02-09-2006, 03:18 PM
wildlifesc
2nd Gear
I have no experience with that particular Kodak...but I've shot with a friend's Lumix 5MP and to be truthful, I was unimpressed with the image quality. It was especially prone to artifacts introduced by in-camera over-sharpening and the Leica lens was a big dissapointment as well. I was thoroughly dissapointed in the electronic viewfinder...difficult to see clearly and I found it very hard to use the manual focus option.

I'd opt for the Canon every time...Canon's Digic II processor is, in a word, superb. I have a Canon digital slr and couldn't be happier with it. My wife uses a Canon point & shoot G-3 in her real estate business, and the image quality and exposure/color accuracy is phenomenal considering all else. She shoots a lot of interiors with available light and the Canon excels in that area as well.

Just my thoughts...but I'm sure there are plenty of other opinions out there.

Old 02-09-2006, 03:28 PM
HAL9000
2nd Gear
Matt,

I would go with the Lumix. The Leica lens is extremely good.

William

Old 02-09-2006, 04:16 PM
willimini
2nd Gear
Canon Digital Elph is great!

I love my Canon PowerShot S400 Digital Elph. (I think the model has become an S450 now.) I take it everywhere, including SCUBA diving with a Canon under water case. It's high quality, but so small that the camera plus an extra battery plus an extra CF memory all fit in one pocket.

The Canon camera has one thing that even expensive other pocket cameras may not have (e.g., a Sony model doesn't) - it is a function that sets white balance manually. I use it every time I take pictures under water, to compensate for the high amount of blue light.

Old 02-09-2006, 05:22 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Wildlife, no one mentioned a Kodak so I'm not sure what you were referring to there. Thanks for the info on the Lumix.

Hal9000, ok so this contradicts what wildlife was saying. Interesting...

willimini, size doesn't matter to me except that I don't want small. Hmm, so I guess size does matters. The small ones feel too breakable and I feel deinty holding them. I much rather a mid-size to large one.

The Canon S2 IS is what I am leaning towards because back when I wanted to get one last year I wanted the S1 IS. That Sony makes a good run for the money though.

Unless someone speaks up to break the tie on the Panasonic I will rule it out since the info differs so widely.

Thanks!

Old 02-09-2006, 05:53 PM
HAL9000
2nd Gear
Well, while I certainly respect the gentleman's opinion with regard to his particular experience with the Lumix, I would at the same time point out that his experience therewith was somewhat limited in scope.

I use a Leica D1, D2, R9 & R9 w/DMR, have always used Leicas, and can tell you that Leicas & Leica glass are second to none. I know several people who use the various Lumix+Leica cameras and their experiences have been quite different than those mentioned.

My suggestion would be to, if possible, check out the cameras first-hand, so to speak, and see for yourself.

On a final note you may also want to consider the fairly new Leica D-Lux 2. It is quite impressive.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck.

William

Old 02-09-2006, 06:03 PM
89AKurt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HAL9000
...My suggestion would be to, if possible, check out the cameras first-hand, so to speak, and see for yourself. ...
Best recommendation, hold it, press the shutter (mine's awful). I don't like so many auto features. Miss spinning the lens to focus like my old SLR. And get a tripod!

Old 02-09-2006, 06:55 PM
wildlifesc
2nd Gear
Sorry PassatDoTd...I meant Sony, not Kodak. m'bad!

I respect Hal9000's opinion also...and have the utmost faith in my older Leica rangefinders as I do in my trusty Nikon SLRs...with film. I also am very impressed with the Leica D-Lux 2...and its 4x DC Vario-Elmarit seems (seems, mind you ) much superior to the 12x DC Vario-Elmarit on the Lumix.

But back to the matter at hand...you want a general camera for your use with a great zoom range...and you're not buying film cameras or digital SLRs, so I would second Hal9000's and 89AKurt's recommendations to go hold them and see what's best for you and you photographic needs.

Old 02-09-2006, 07:25 PM
SSMini
4th Gear
I just got done doing weeks of research for a dig. camera. From the info I got and the people I talked to, The Panasonic DMC-FZ30 is the way to go. Its the closest thing you can get to a D-SLR without acually getting one. Its also in your price range.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/fz30.html

Check out BeachCamera.com

Old 02-09-2006, 07:37 PM
MiniKC
1st Gear
If you want the most amazing, non bias detailed reviews of digital cameras go to this site:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

It includes actual pictures from many cameras taken under controlled conditions. Image quality/ color balance is somewhat subjective. I purchased the Cannon Powershot Pro when it first came out a couple of years ago and am still very pleased with it.

I used to be a professional photographer and carry tons of gear around but I just got tired of hauling lots of stuff (guess that's why I got a Mini!)

One consideration I think is important, and a mistake that many people make, is that a camera with a wider effective focal length is typically more useful than one with a greater telephoto effective length. In other words, if you have to make a choice between a camera with a maximum wide angle of 28mm or one with a zoom of 300mm (35 mm equivalent, take the one with the 28mm)

Enjoy

Old 02-09-2006, 08:41 PM
SashaSolitaire
3rd Gear
Better check out www.dpreview.com

Among the best sites for camera reviews....

I prefer the Canon because of it's feature set. It allows for some growth as you become more comfortable with the camera....

Old 02-10-2006, 06:48 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
That Panasonic FZ30 looks nice! I love the fact that it has manual zoom and focus rings around the lens instead of digital buttons for those features. I'm going to peruse Steve's site today.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction...all of you.

Matt

Old 02-10-2006, 07:10 AM
theroyalwe
5th Gear
I think the FZ30 is definately the right way to go... I work part time in a camera store and have used all of the above. I got an FZ5 for myself and much prefer to the S2is (YMMV) but when someone comes in for something like a passport photo we can use whatever camera we choose. I usually grab the FZ30. I also love the G6 and powershot pro, but you mentioned that image stabilization was important to you. If your price range only allowed you to choose between the FZ5 and the S2 it would be a tough choice... but the FZ30 trumps both. Another option is to look at the FZ7 that just came out this month. it may be hard to locate, but it has some added features like manual focusing and an extra MP

Old 02-11-2006, 08:27 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
I think I've decided on the Panasonic FZ30. Now let's talk accessories and where to buy.

Obviously I am looking for the cheapest price on a new camera at a reputable location. So where do you all recommend?

And here's a list of things I think I need to go with it. Tell me what else I might need.

Carrying Case
Extra Battery Pack(s)
USB Card Reader for my computer
Some type of lcd screen protector cover
Tripod
1GB high speed memory card

Anything else?

Thanks
Matt

Old 02-11-2006, 02:25 PM
wildlifesc
2nd Gear
I've used Butterfly Photo several times with no problems or delays. Their price is $482 right now.

http://www2.butterflyphoto.com/shop/...r&sku=dmcfz30k

Old 02-11-2006, 08:40 PM
Paul
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I think you'll be happy with the Panasonic. The image stabilizer is truly amazing! I have an FX7 and I've been able to take countless pictures that would have come out blurry at best if taken with out stabilization.

The downside of the stabilizer in the Panasonics, is that it sucks your batteries dry. Be sure to buy at least one extra battery!! I carry 2 extra batteries at all times with this camera.

Old 02-12-2006, 06:48 AM
TulsaMINI
3rd Gear
The S2 IS is the best camera I've ever had! I've had it for about 6 months and took great pictures right out of the box and now I'm learning how to use a lot of the cool extra features and video capabilities.

You have to have the Image Stabilization! I've taken some great shots from the passenger seat as my husband was screaming through the twisties -- shots that would have been nothing but blurs without it.

I also really like the LCD monitor that can be rotated 180° and also closed with the screen towards the body protecting it from damage. It's also fun to rotate it downward, hold the camera way over your head and take pics over crowds or walls or whatever.

I am by no means any kind of skilled photographer, but I'm really pretty proud of some of my shots. You can check out my flickr page for examples.

Good luck!

- Angie

P.S. Almost forgot...here's a great page that tells you everything you'd ever want to know about the S2 IS: http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/pss2is/index-e.html

Old 02-12-2006, 06:58 AM
89AKurt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SSMini
I just got done doing weeks of research for a dig. camera. From the info I got and the people I talked to, The Panasonic DMC-FZ30 is the way to go. Its the closest thing you can get to a D-SLR without acually getting one. Its also in your price range.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/fz30.html
This is an awesome link!
I was wondering, for long exposures, is there a shutter cable release feature? How do you shoot without moving the camera?

Old 02-12-2006, 07:57 AM
hugh
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PassatDoTd
Ok Photo Geeks....time to help a photo noob out.

I'm not a photo geek yet but would love to take great pictures. One thing that narrows down the choices is that I feel I have to have Image Stabilization. I don't have the steadiest of hands when holding a camera.
As you can see, you've gotten a diversity of positive recommendations. Not suprising when you compare three good cameras.

My advice would be to go to the stores, hold each camera up to your eye, and buy the one you feel most comfortable with.

BTW, mine is a Fuji S5000. Paid $300 and I'm totally satisfied.

Old 02-12-2006, 02:36 PM
wildlifesc
2nd Gear
I was wondering, for long exposures, is there a shutter cable release feature? How do you shoot without moving the camera?
Panasonic offers an inexpensive remote release, but the cable is only about 6 feet. (I think.) It's a very small 2-conductor cable with tiny wires interwoven with thread...but it can be spliced to lengthen it. I spliced a friend's and it's working fine. He uses it to photograph birds on the feeders he builds & sells.

Old 08-17-2006, 06:35 PM
C4
Banned
This is a very old thread, but I wanted to recommend the Canon PowerShot SD630 Digital ELPH camera I bought last week. It is one impressive piece of hardware and the photos are simply breathtaking! One of the best sub $400 digital cameras in the market today.