MINI Camera and Video Interested in capturing your motoring experience? Discuss here your favorite video and photography skills using your MINI.

Dealing with way too much light (like a MINI in snow)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 10:07 AM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dealing with way too much light (like a MINI in snow)

I'm trying to tweak my question into a MINI specific one.

Anybody have any hints for taking pictures in the snow? Both when there's not enough light and everything looks flat and when there's bright sun and too much light.

I'm guessing I need to learn how to use neutral density filters, but, is there anything else?

Old 11-15-2004, 10:25 AM
MiniCD
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is easier to take pictures in snow when the light is flat. First, remember that the meter on your camera will try to make the snow a dull grey (18% or zone 5). Try to overexpose by 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 stops. Point your camera or meter at the snow, if your camera wants 1/500 sec, try an exposure as long as 1/125 or 1/100. This will make the snow white, but still keep some detail so you can see texture, drifts etc.

Bright sunlight is much harder. The problem is that snow reflecting sunlight is really bright and the shadows in the thin, clear winter air, are really dark. Your eyes can see the range of tones, but film or digital sensors cannot come close to showing the full range of brightness. As a result, either the shadows go murky black, or the snow a featureless white, or both. Your best bet when photographing a subject in snow on a bright day is to at least try for some shade. Also use a reflector, or flash to fill the shadows. A snow bank or white building can be used as a reflector for the MINI. If you are using a digital camera, try to adjust the contrast to neutral or low contrast.

Bracket your exposure, experiment, have fun.