MINI Camera and Video Interested in capturing your motoring experience? Discuss here your favorite video and photography skills using your MINI.

Photography Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 09:20 AM
raffy888
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Photography Project

I am doing a project for my Photography class and I need to pick a theme in Photography like landscape, light, etc… I chose to do car/landscape and I have some pictures below. Now I need to find at least 3 “professionals” or somehow known photographers so I was wondering would you guys help, or maybe if you guys know any photographers that I can use for this project (specifically car photographers)? If possible do you guys any photographers somewhere that looks like the pictures I took below? I am in no way a professional and the pictures below are just pictures I took for this project that I'm doing for Photography class. Thanks in advance for reading this and for the help.

Attached Thumbnails Photography Project-4.jpg   Photography Project-6.jpg   Photography Project-7.jpg  
Old 04-26-2013, 02:12 AM
pw4
5th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by raffy888
I am doing a project for my Photography class and I need to pick a theme in Photography like landscape, light, etc… I chose to do car/landscape and I have some pictures below. Now I need to find at least 3 “professionals” or somehow known photographers so I was wondering would you guys help, or maybe if you guys know any photographers that I can use for this project (specifically car photographers)? If possible do you guys any photographers somewhere that looks like the pictures I took below? I am in no way a professional and the pictures below are just pictures I took for this project that I'm doing for Photography class. Thanks in advance for reading this and for the help.
I'm overseas so can't help. But as the owner of a BRG MINI like this one, I can tell you they look really good if you can get bright sunlight onto it - eg sun say 30 degrees off to the side of directly behind you.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:20 AM
Gatsby
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What kind of camera are you using to shoot with?
There's a lot of cool things you can do if you're shooting with an SLR
If you're shooting with a standard point in shoot you're going to have to get real creative with your lighting to get a good looking photo

Old 04-29-2013, 12:49 PM
raffy888
3rd Gear
I'm actually using a Sony HD camcorder since I'm still saving up for an SLR camera.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:35 PM
Gatsby
Neutral
Well I'll throw you some basic tips. When you're taking your pictures try to make sure there's no other cars around, it's distracting. Try taking them at different angles. Try crouching or getting a chair or a stool or even a ladder. Get creative with that. Shoot at peak times. Mostly sunny days, with maybe a few clouds. "Golden Hour" It's the hour or so after sunrise and the hour before sunset. You'll get dramatic lighting.
Since you don't have an SLR I don't think you could do any long exposures. You could try a rolling shot, but I don't know how well that would work with a camcorder.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:21 AM
raffy888
3rd Gear
Thanks for the tips! I actually just presented my project for my photo class including these 2 pictures...

Old 05-02-2013, 04:08 PM
chadci
1st Gear
A few tips and DIY projects that might help for future shoots.

Some areas you need more light, others you need less so, I'd get a king sized bedsheet and some 1x4 lumber. Just make a basic frame, can do with hammer and nails if you need to. You'll want a couple braces to keep it straight. make some "feet" for it so it can stand without holding it. Staple or tack the sheet on it. Place it between the sun and the car. the sheet will diffuse and soften the light.

Go to a hardware store, get a couple pieces of 4x8 white foam. Use these as reflectors so you can kind of direct bounced light exactly where you want it.

I don't know much about camcorders, but, see if you can find a polarizer filter to go over the lens, this will help kill reflections, important in windows and other glossy - reflective areas ( less distracting)

Since you don't have an slr and probably can't shoot wide open ( or can you?) try to pick less distracting backgrounds. An open field or just road will work. You just don't want a lot going on otherwise the eye can and will completely miss your subject.

For composing, try different areas, lay on the ground and shoot up, get up high and shoot down etc. the typical side level views get boring.

You're off to a good start and good luck with your classes. You might also check out Adorama Learning Center. They have tutorial videos from some very good photographers.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:02 AM
raffy888
3rd Gear
Hey thanks alot chadci! My Mom actually hired me to be a photographer for their company's 35th anniversary! An SLR is definitely next on my list! Will practice and keep you guys updated! Thanks again for the tips!

Old 05-03-2013, 09:27 AM
chadci
1st Gear
Very cool. I'd suggest picking up a budget (Yongnuo) flash when you get your camera and learn how to use it. Zack Arias, David Hobby and Joe McNally all have very good information on how to. David is known as "the strobist" so that might be a good starting point, just "google" them.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:41 AM
Rainman768
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by chadci
A few tips and DIY projects that might help for future shoots.

Some areas you need more light, others you need less so, I'd get a king sized bedsheet and some 1x4 lumber. Just make a basic frame, can do with hammer and nails if you need to. You'll want a couple braces to keep it straight. make some "feet" for it so it can stand without holding it. Staple or tack the sheet on it. Place it between the sun and the car. the sheet will diffuse and soften the light.
Interesting you brought this up. I've been wondering if some kind of contraption similar to this would be beneficial. I was thinking indoors with a work light behind it however. Now to make one collapsible and portable...

Old 05-03-2013, 10:56 AM
chadci
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Rainman768
Interesting you brought this up. I've been wondering if some kind of contraption similar to this would be beneficial. I was thinking indoors with a work light behind it however. Now to make one collapsible and portable...
Halagon Work lights throw a lot of light, I used them for a while. Problem is they get very VERY hot even after short periods of time. I made a small light box for product photography and used them for that. I made the sides with parchment paper as its pretty heat resistant and did a good job of diffusing. These days you can get a decent strobe for a hundred dollars and that's a lot safer.

Another problem with the work lights is inconsistent white balance. It changes as the bulb heats. You'd really want to at least shoot RAW so you can adjust in post or better yet, use the cmeras custom wb setting and save work.

A lot of portrait photogs are using florescent lights these days. Joe Elderman has a good DIY on YouTube. They don't get hot and if you shoot a fast enough shutter, the flicker shouldn't have much impact.

As for making a giant diffuser portable, PVC works well. You could also get a $99 collapsible background stand from places like BH or adorama (I have a flashpoint) and use A clamps to hang your fabric.

Honestly, DIY is great but it was so much easier when I broke down and bought a few proper flashes, modifiers and light stands. You can get a decent 1 light kit for around $100 with Speedlights or $150 with a strobe.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:59 AM
chadci
1st Gear
Oh, do yourselves a favor and get a $25 40" 5 way reflector kit. Usually silver on one side, gold on the other then if you unzip black and white with a diffusion disc center. Probably any good photographers #1 tool (after his eye)

Old 05-03-2013, 01:48 PM
WeaverNH
2nd Gear
Hi Raffy,
If you want a film SLR I have a Canon Rebel EOS body that I'll sell cheap. It works perfectly well. I've gone to a DSLR.
If you're looking for a DSLR I can't help much.
WeaverNH

Old 05-04-2013, 10:37 AM
raffy888
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by WeaverNH
Hi Raffy,
If you want a film SLR I have a Canon Rebel EOS body that I'll sell cheap. It works perfectly well. I've gone to a DSLR.
If you're looking for a DSLR I can't help much.
WeaverNH
Thanks for the offer but I'm looking for a DSLR.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:03 PM
chadci
1st Gear
Originally Posted by raffy888
Thanks for the offer but I'm looking for a DSLR.
You could learn a lot from a film SLR but these days, I think your right in sticking with digital.