Midwest Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, and Kansas

Local Minneapolis - R53 Belt Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 12:38 PM
DanOx
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Local Minneapolis - R53 Belt Replacement?

I'm daily driving an R53 MCS this winter (first MINI I've owned - all BMWs before this). Well, the serpentine belt snapped yesterday evening... :(

I looked up some DIY tutorials & looks like I need a MINI belt tentioner tool. $100 from MINI, or $30 on eBay. Problem is I need the car up & running sooner-than-later, so I can't go the eBay route - and besides, it's friggen cold out here in Minneapolis (not fun to do the work myself in these conditions).

But, figured I'd ask you guys the following...

1) Does anyone have the tentioner tool they could lend/rent to me?
2) Is anyone up for the job this weekend for some side cash? I'd be willing to help along side you.
3) What's the cheapest local shop to take the car to get the job done quick?
4) ... If I'm paying a shop to do this & they're poking around the belt/pulley - I might as well have them install the WMW Pulley Package, yeah? (http://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-pulley-package.html) Shouldn't be much more in labor costs...

Cheers,
Dan
(PM me to get me number to figure something out if you're local...)

Old 01-16-2013, 08:35 AM
skucie
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DanOx
I'm daily driving an R53 MCS this winter (first MINI I've owned - all BMWs before this). Well, the serpentine belt snapped yesterday evening... :(

I looked up some DIY tutorials & looks like I need a MINI belt tentioner tool. $100 from MINI, or $30 on eBay. Problem is I need the car up & running sooner-than-later, so I can't go the eBay route - and besides, it's friggen cold out here in Minneapolis (not fun to do the work myself in these conditions).

But, figured I'd ask you guys the following...

1) Does anyone have the tentioner tool they could lend/rent to me?
2) Is anyone up for the job this weekend for some side cash? I'd be willing to help along side you.
3) What's the cheapest local shop to take the car to get the job done quick?
4) ... If I'm paying a shop to do this & they're poking around the belt/pulley - I might as well have them install the WMW Pulley Package, yeah? (http://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-pulley-package.html) Shouldn't be much more in labor costs...

Cheers,
Dan
(PM me to get me number to figure something out if you're local...)
Hi Dan,

I've read on the forums before that Way (of waymotorworks) lends pulley tools out for those who buy the package, maybe he would do the same with the belt tool. Otherwise, you could always ebay it, they don't depreciate much as you have probably noticed.

Not sure if you've already figured out where you're going to take your mini yet.

I've never had any work done in the twin cities on my mini, but have communicated with orr autosport in EP a few times. They seem to know their stuff, but the prices they quoted me were off the charts. Here's what they told me:

-$1500 for a brake job (not BBK, but slotted cryo treated rotors, ceramic pads, bleed.)
-$600 - trans fluid flush (I had this done elsewhere for about $190)
$663 - SC pulley and install (alta with tensioner stop)
$177 SC BPV install (plus cost of part)
$70 airbag light (i tripped a sensor during a stereo install). I had this done elsewhere for $31.

Hope this helps. Best of luck