Mid-Atlantic Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania

Drive-In Movie Meet

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 05:47 AM
districtofc
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K guys here's the deal, I would like to propose a meet/gathering on the 16th of May, a Friday night. This meet would not so much be a normal meet with a drive planned and all that good stuff because, well, it's not necessary. This will work like an impromptu meet, just to get together and talk and say hi. The best part of the MINI meets is getting together and actually meeting and talking with other owners. Hopefully this can take advantage of/exploit this. So here's the way it works:

On Friday everyone meets at a Drive-In theatre.

The little things you need to know are, it's at the biggest one in the area that I know of and it's called The Bengies (http://www.bengies.com). It has the largest screen on the east coast apparently, they have decent food, it has a nice friendly atmosphere, and you can watch a movie sitting in your MINI (or put a lawn chair out in front of your MINI). The movie theatre is near Baltimore which at first I thought would be a big problem for a Friday night but..for one thing the movies don't start til dusk (around 8pm now), secondly "Friday at the movies" sounds better, thirdly the movies run late in to the night (don't worry about being "on-time", this is a relax after work, impromptu meet, show up when you can), and lastly I'm sure we've got some people in MD that are tired of driving to Virgina. Personally I'm treking from northern Virgina to this place, if people want to join up to make the drive there, that's fine, but if not, that's good too.

The cost of admission is $7 bucks a person, and definitely don't bring any of your own food. It's a big no-no at a drive-in as they have a hard time making money, so let's help this old place and just buy their hot dogs, fries, soda and candy. Let me know if you're interested...Click HERE for directions.

-Russ

Old 05-05-2003, 05:56 AM
chollomo
4th Gear
I had no idea there were any drive-ins up in the dc area... the last oen i knew of was in chirstensburg va. and only open part of the year... there had been an abandon one in yorktown, until recently when a walmart was put in it's place.. sad that were loosing a piece of americanna like the drive in theaters. can't go this weekend but to everyoen that does happy motoringin DC...

Old 05-05-2003, 06:21 AM
Jayar
3rd Gear
I would definitely be interested, though not sure I can make it. A long haul, for sure, from Richmond. Love and miss the drive in. I remember going to the one in Yorktown that Chollomo mentioned. I'll follow the thread for more info. Thanks. JR

Old 05-05-2003, 06:44 AM
districtofc
1st Gear
we've already got a good group of minis coming. the more, the better. :smile:

Old 05-05-2003, 01:15 PM
Stinger
3rd Gear
Would love to come, but with any luck I'll be picking up my MCS from Crown MINI in Richmond that evening. It just got off the boat today. But I live in Arlington, so maybe the next time.

Old 05-07-2003, 03:03 AM
jamesbopp
1st Gear
My wife and I will be there no matter what the movie - we grew up in this area and know this theater form our high school days. velvet Red MC

Old 05-09-2003, 05:31 AM
districtofc
1st Gear
sounds good... im going to send out the reminder today... it's one week from today.

Old 05-09-2003, 06:24 AM
bnbnaro
1st Gear
New to this website and expected our MC any day now. It is currently at the distribution center and should arrive at Mini of Sterling in the next few days. If we have it by Friday of next week we would love to join you all in Baltimore. I'm so jealous of all of you who are already motoring. We can't wait!

Old 05-09-2003, 06:30 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
>>New to this website and expected our MC any day now. It is currently at the distribution center and should arrive at Mini of Sterling in the next few days. If we have it by Friday of next week we would love to join you all in Baltimore. I'm so jealous of all of you who are already motoring. We can't wait!

Join us anyway - even if your MINI hasn't arrived yet :smile: It's a great start at meeting some of us MINIacs

Chow!

Donna

Old 05-12-2003, 09:06 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
Paul and I are coming. I haven't been to a drive-in in eons.....

Old 05-15-2003, 07:15 AM
bnbnaro
1st Gear
donna/mike -- thanks for the invite! we got the mini last night and now i just have to convince my husband to go out tomorrow. shouldn't be too hard since he doesn't get to drive it as much as i do (i take him to and from work every morning due to parking in downtown dc). hope to see you there! btw, there are two minis in alexandria that i see all the time. both are red with white top but different license plates. anyone know of these or is that you donna/mike? rather long haul from leesburg...

Old 05-15-2003, 07:41 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
>>donna/mike -- thanks for the invite! we got the mini last night and now i just have to convince my husband to go out tomorrow. shouldn't be too hard since he doesn't get to drive it as much as i do (i take him to and from work every morning due to parking in downtown dc). hope to see you there! btw, there are two minis in alexandria that i see all the time. both are red with white top but different license plates. anyone know of these or is that you donna/mike? rather long haul from leesburg...

You guys definitely have to come tomorrow night!! It will be SO much fun
:smile:

Chow!

Donna

Old 05-15-2003, 08:02 AM
bnbnaro
1st Gear

>>donna/mike -- You guys definitely have to come tomorrow night!! It will be SO much fun
>> :smile:
>>
>>Chow!
>>
>>
>>Donna

here' hoping we can make it. leesburg is a great place to live with all those awesome roads. we might have to head out that way this weekend and visit some of my old haunts...

hope to see you tomorrow night!

b

Old 05-19-2003, 04:36 PM
BIGCliff
1st Gear
What happened? No feedback on how (if?) the event happened. Couldn't make it but was looking forward to hearing about it for possible next time.

Old 05-20-2003, 04:31 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Well - I believe that most of us bailed out late afternoon on Friday - there may have been a few that did show up but I haven't seen anybody post about it.

Between the yucky weather and the traffic, well... :smile: :smile:

Chow!

Donna