Mid-Atlantic Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania

Snow bound or snow hound?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 07:19 AM
Brid
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow bound or snow hound?

Hi there! I'm new here...as you couldn't guess. Anyway, I'm a hopeful future purchaser of a Mini. This site gives a lot great information on this wonderful car, but I'm looking for some specifics to do with driving in snow and winter conditions. How does the Mini ride in the snow? It seems that we (Mid-Atlantic region) are getting at least one good snow a season - by good snow, I mean 6 inches or more. Because the Mini sits so low, have you found driving a problem? I can't afford a second car, so my next car purchase has to get around all year in all weather conditions. Thanks for you help! Any information you can provide will help me make my decision.

Happy driving!
Brid

Old 06-16-2005, 12:22 PM
geowit
3rd Gear
Snow, what snow?

My 04MCS is a daily driver (43K on the odometer) and I love driving it in the winter. I live in central PA and the last snow fall was 8" and the MINI did not even flinch. I do have a second set of rims with dedicated winter tires which I heartily recommend but I did the first winter on the Dunlop A/S run flats without any problem. That said, I don't think I want to test more than 8". Don't let the threat of snow stop you. You'll absolutely love this car in the winter.

Old 06-16-2005, 12:26 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Brid
Happy driving!
We can forgive you this time but it Motoring...

-Josh

Old 06-16-2005, 12:58 PM
mburchill36
4th Gear
Yo Brid - Welcome to the 'nut-house'!

Well, I live in NJ and we got quite a bit of snow last year. I live out in the country (OK,OK I know what you all are thinking - no 'which exit' jokes!) Anyway, and I often have to drive in bad weather up and down over rural roads. The MINI has been the best small car in snow I've ever owned. I've owned Hondas and VW's, and this car gets through. I definately recommend a second set of rims with dedicated snow tires (such as Pirelli Snowsports ) for the winter months and keep your nice rims for spring/summer.

Enjoy - - Michael

Old 06-17-2005, 05:46 AM
Brid
Neutral
Thank you!

Thank you for the feedback...this helps greatly in my decision! And, to be correct - Happy Motoring!

Brid

Old 06-17-2005, 06:03 AM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I plowed through a couple 12+ storms up here in CT and *gasp* Virginia (which would not have been a big deal if people down there didn't curl up and die at the threat of a few flakes... but I digress). Driving has never been a problem in the snow -- and I ONLY run the Dunlop all-season runflats.

I've been through winters in Pittsburgh, Virginia and Connecticut and I've never once had a transportation problem with snow.