Mid-Atlantic Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania

MINI of Sterling performance packages

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 01:31 PM
Stinger
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I went in to have the ECU for my MCS upgraded to V3.6 to fix the dreaded stumble (it did by the way), the service manager talked to me about 2 performance upgrade packages that they were offering that provided better performance than the JCW upgrade. One, the SX (pulley, ECU, intake and exhaust) goes for about $4100 installed with a claimed 200hp at the crank. The other, SX+, adds a hi-flow header with a claimed 220hp at the crank for $5900. .....and neither will void the BMW warranty provided any work is done at their facility. He said that they had not run any of the cars on the dyno yet, but that they had done this on 20 or so MCS in the DC area. Have any of you done this?

Old 01-27-2004, 06:32 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
I've heard a few DC Metro MINI's mention the kits, but nobody that I know of has put one in yet... It wouldn't surprise me if the kits deliver. Sterling has a MINI race team and probably tests them out on that car...

Old 01-27-2004, 06:36 AM
dandp
6th Gear
I'll be curious to see if more dealers do this as they see us owners spending serious $$$ on aftermarket stuff.

Old 01-27-2004, 06:53 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm glad to see dealers offering aftermarket parts and installation. It's still way over-priced but it's a good start. The right combination of pulley, ECU, intake and exhaust could definitely yield 200 horses but i'd skip the PLUS kit. No header has shown any kind of decent gains on the MINI - and definitely no where near 20HP. I'd be astonished to see 5HP from a header at this point. So for $5900 for the package with header you'd prob be better off with the JCW kit. But the other kit should be more accurate power-wise although $4100 is still about twice what it should cost. But then again, they WILL warranty it. It's up to you - but definitely skip the PLUS kit.

Old 01-27-2004, 10:35 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
For all of Sterling's issues, they saw this market a long time ago, they were offering their kits before the JCW kit came out...

Old 01-27-2004, 10:43 AM
ecl3x
3rd Gear
there are few mini motorheads at sterling...can't say the same for the motoring advisors :???:

Old 01-28-2004, 06:44 AM
Stinger
3rd Gear
Thanks for the inputs, they generally confirm what I thought. Still a little expensive and the "+" isn't worth it. I'm thinking in the interim about just going with a 15% pulley. I haven't driven a MCS yet that just had the pulley. I don't suppose you know of anyone that has just the puley that would let me test it out (responsible 50yr old)?

Old 01-28-2004, 07:31 AM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
Do they have any cars with the SX package available to drive? I wanted to drive the JCW beforehand but they didn't have anything for me to drive.

I would definitely at least ask for dyno proof before plunking down that kind of money on an aftermarket kit, warranted or not. The JCW kit came with a nice graph which sold me on it ($5500 installed) - you can truly feel the (mucho) extra power and torque.

Old 01-28-2004, 07:34 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
there are few mini motorheads at sterling...can't say the same for the motoring advisors :???:
All the motorhead MA's either got promoted or left, leaving us with.... AIRHEADS!!!!

Old 02-02-2004, 11:08 AM
Ddraig
1st Gear
>>Do they have any cars with the SX package available to drive? I wanted to drive the JCW beforehand but they didn't have anything for me to drive.
>>
>>I would definitely at least ask for dyno proof before plunking down that kind of money on an aftermarket kit, warranted or not. The JCW kit came with a nice graph which sold me on it ($5500 installed) - you can truly feel the (mucho) extra power and torque.

$5500 for the install of the JCW? Mini of Sterling was saying it was upwards of $7,000 for me. As far as the Kits they have, I believe they're the exact same kits Mini Madness puts out because they do alot of the parts for there mods. In my opinion not worth it. Although if you bought one of these kits, installed it yourself I'd be interested to see if the guys pick up on that in the service department.

Mini of Sterling told me that if I modified anything in the engine it would void the warrenty. I'm pretty sure this isn't 100% accurate but don't have any proof otherwise

Old 02-02-2004, 03:54 PM
jazmini
4th Gear
Hey Stinger,

I have a CVT MC so my comments are not exactly what you are looking for. But when I picked up my new MINI, MINI of Sterling installed the MINI Madness intake and exhaust, and had it sent out for window tinting. I am very pleased with the quality of work and have had no problems. I have a very favorable impression of their operation and feel that you would be treated well there if you purchased one of their performance packages. Both a Motoring Advisor and the Service Advisor told me that they can basically do anything for my car that I want, as I have some mods to make over time down the road. The MA told me that they prefer to use MINI Madness parts due to the high quality that they have found with them. When I was in there for an oil change (at 1200 miles), I got a look at their MINI race car, which they (I think they said their dealership owner) race down in Florida. Totally awesome car. The MA told me they could send my chip down to their race prep shop in Florida and they could re-chip it. Hope all that helps with your decision.

Old 02-06-2004, 05:31 AM
OpusMini
4th Gear
I picked up my MCS from Sterling back in August. I'm closing in on 6k miles and have not had any issues. Even with the DC cold snap last month, the cold start problem never surfaced. Anyway, I was very, very tempted by the SX packages but in the end I decided against it (mostly concerns over reliability).

When I first put my order in, the SX consisted of a borla exaust, a new chip, and a Mini Madness air intake. I later had a chance to drive one of model so equipped. It was pretty nice but having driven a JCW a few days earlier, I was not horribly impressed. That and the exhaust was the new borla sport which I thought was far too loud for my tastes.

I think the extra cost is worth the peace of mind given the warranty although that warranty will only be good at Mini of Sterling once they make the modifications. They will also go a la carte with you on parts and installs. For instance, if you wanted them to do just the pulley and ecu, they can (and at least would) do that. That way you can handle the exhaust install on your own which would be an easy install and not threaten your warranty.

Old 02-06-2004, 10:28 AM
Stinger
3rd Gear
Thanks for all the inputs. Upon further reflection, I think I'm just going to get the 15% pulley. I was going to drive up to Helix to have them do it, but for only about $100 more, Sterling will do it and it won't void the warranty at least at Sterling. That piece of mind is worth the $100 I think.

Old 02-11-2004, 07:52 AM
SpeedyVa
Neutral
Stinger -
I have a '03 MCS with the Helix 15% pulley, K&N intake and Borla exhaust (non-Sport version) -- all from Helix. I'm in NoVa (Herndon) if you still want to take a pullied MCS for a test drive... before buying. The twisties back in Great Falls are about 10-minutes from me & an excellent test track.
Drop me a PM if you want to meet up... sometime while the weather here in DC is still Mini friendly.

Speedy

Old 02-21-2004, 05:40 AM
tiger1
1st Gear
speedy I already sent you a private message, but ill reply anyway. I have a 15% pulley from Helix and I like it, but I have a hickup (hesitation when I shift into 3rd gear. I'm thinking of getting the K&N and the Borla Street. Are you happy with them. Anything you would do differently? Thanks

Old 02-26-2004, 11:50 AM
kapolani
2nd Gear
I just made an appointment to have the 15% pulley installed.

I was going to do it myself - with the help of a master mechanic - but couldn't pass up the pledge to fulfill my warranty if Mini of Sterling does the install.

I was quoted:

170 ~ 180 for the pulley.
4 hrs @ 97.90 = 391.60

grand total = 571.60

that's a small pittance to pay for the peace of mind.

Gene Chun helped me out - friendly guy and seems to at least know what he's talking about.

Will have a review once the work is complete.

Old 03-16-2004, 07:24 PM
OpusMini
4th Gear
Just checking, did anyone get the pulley done at Sterling? Winter is almost over and it's time to put the Pirelli's back on and I've been thinking of shortening their lives.

Old 03-19-2004, 09:58 AM
Stinger
3rd Gear
Teldon,

I haven't done it yet because I was waiting for Kapolani to have it done and report back on what he thought.

Old 03-19-2004, 05:00 PM
OpusMini
4th Gear
I might beat you guys to it. I've ordered a Milltek exhaust and am having Sterling install a pulley, ecu, and intake. I'll give everyone an update when it's done. It's a 3 day process (shipping to FLA and back for the ECU). I need to finalize the appointment, but it should be late March.

Old 03-22-2004, 03:01 PM
kapolani
2nd Gear
Okay...

I got the pulley installed this past friday.

All I have to say is YES. This mod transforms the S to what it should have been from the factory. There's a lot more useable power along the entire rpm band. The car literally screams now.

I got the pulley installed at Mini of Sterling, VA because my original warranty remains INTACT if they install the part. The part also has to be sold in their parts department.

The only problem I had was with the price. I was told that it would be 180 (mini madness pulley) but was charged 250. The 250 is the price of the pulley and pulley removal tool. I didn't raise too much of a ruckus because as long as the warranty is still valid I don't mind the extra cost.

All in all it was a pleasant experience and I would recommend using them. Gene Chun was the advisor that helped me.

Old 03-26-2004, 08:57 AM
Stinger
3rd Gear
I talked with them yesterday and I'm going to get the pulley also. I think part of the reason for the price discrepancy is that they also put on a new shorter belt, which MINI Madness told me runs about $40.

Old 03-26-2004, 03:06 PM
kapolani
2nd Gear
I talked with them yesterday and I'm going to get the pulley also. I think part of the reason for the price discrepancy is that they also put on a new shorter belt, which MINI Madness told me runs about $40.

I didn't know that they put on a shorter belt. Makes more sense.

You'll enjoy the mod.

I'm waiting for GIAC to come out with their software before I decide which one to use.

Old 04-01-2004, 05:12 PM
jazmini
4th Gear
I think the prices they sometimes quote you may not always be accurate in the end. I don't think they are taking advantage of anyone, it's just that I don't think they always know what the exact price is sometimes. Several times they have quoted me a higher price than what it actually was. The main thing is the quality of the work, and I have been very happy with that.

Old 04-07-2004, 12:21 PM
OpusMini
4th Gear
I dropped my Mini off on Monday evening for a Tuesday install. Unfortunately I've been sick all week and couldn't even consider making it out to Sterling yesterday afternoon so I drove out this morning and picked it up. I had the pulley ($650) and Rogue intake ($350) installed. (I also had them do the rear fogs for $180). I drove it gently -- mostly because of my condition but also to give the pulley a chance to settle in). It definitely feels more powerful. I had to accellerate around someone and I put the gas down and it shot around them and I realized I was still in 6th -- felt at least like 5th gear if not 4th midrange power. Now this is conjunction with the Milltek exhaust. It's not loud inside the car at all. I had the window down and at one point accellerating up to *well* on 66 I heard a very satisfying sound from outside.

Gene definitely is a motorhead and nice to deal with. When I dropped the car off, he went outside to note some information, came back in and gave me some tips on my Yokohoma tires. Their technicians seem very informed on the aftermarket goodies as well. So for $1,000 i probably picked up 20-25hp. I would guess with the Milltek, I am probably pulling about 180hp at the wheels. I might have paid a premium of $200-300 although I have no facility, tools or experience to do the stuff myself and I still have my warranty @ Sterling.

That and my car had lost all the rain residue from the previous week.

Old 05-04-2004, 01:02 PM
Ddraig
1st Gear
Just how long does it take to put on a pully? From what I understand you pop off the old one put on the new one and replace the belt. It seems like you wouldn't be in there for more than an hour, 2 at the most. The Pully costs 250 (maybe +50 for the adapter) so thats 300 plus an hour of install which works out to be almost 400. Why are the prices at Sterling seem so high then? (570 and 650?) I could see 400, but not 600-650.

Quick Reply: MINI of Sterling performance packages