JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

MINI JCW GP on EBAY!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 03:27 PM
domc
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found this video of the GP car. It's like video tour. What's with the big *** wing on the back?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5J9m8Zqtw

Old 05-16-2006, 03:38 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by domc
Motoringfile.com is reporting that only 8 have been sold in the 45 car slot for America. Quote: "still seems a bit lower than original expectations".
I think you read that wrong. It doesnt mean only 8 have sold but rather only 8 are willing to spend $2K to go to CA to pick it up.

Old 05-16-2006, 04:23 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The whole issue of sales prices that dealers charge isn't really about fairness. Market driven costs have no 'fair int hem for either party. It's what the market bears. When I bought my last car, I got a GREAT deal using cardirect.com, well under MSRP. On the Mini, which remains a commodity vehicle here in the Bay Area, the choice was between not-above-MSRP dealers with long waits, and mark-up dealers with shorter waits. I compromised and went with a moderate mark-up, and got EXACTLY what I wanted in one month's time. So I chalked it up to the price of doing business...

Old 05-16-2006, 04:31 PM
LMB
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol
I only wish those stupid GP's would rot on the lots like the MC-40's did.
Why does it bug you so?
But there are probably 400 people out there that will think they are getting something truly special.. . ..
Those who buy a GP are getting something special. They're getting a Works Cooper S and a cut down price. Simple as.

Why people feel the need to keep dropping snide comments is beyond me? if you have nothing to say, then why bother saying it?

Old 05-16-2006, 04:35 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LMB
Those who buy a GP are getting something special. They're getting a Works Cooper S and a cut down price.

Why people feel the need to keep dropping snide comments is beyond me?
No they are not. 1 of 2000 is not special. 1 of 415 is not special. 1 of 2 is special. 7 hp more than standard is nothing special.

Many people are very disappointed in what MINI has done. ... very disappointed. Instead of going out with a bang ... first gen is going out with a whimper.

I wouldnt take the GP bashing personally but rather an expression of people dissatisfaction with what MINI has "produced". Even the delivery bit is a bit lame. Spend $2K and pay your own way to California? Duh. Usually when you take overseas delivery of a car, the car is much cheaper than MSRP so it pays for the trip.

Old 05-16-2006, 04:48 PM
LMB
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
No they are not. 1 of 2000 is not special. 1 of 415 is not special. 1 of 2 is special. 7 hp more than standard is nothing special..
My god man you're like a broken record.

Do the maths and you will see it's a damn sight cheaper than an equivalent JCW S. Also NO ONE has driven one yet, so who's to say it's not special. I remember people raving about the 210 works over the 200 so it may only be 7 bhp but I bet it changes the dynamics of the car.

Many people are very disappointed in what MINI has done. ... very disappointed. Instead of going out with a bang ... first gen is going out with a whimper..
Well no one is asking you to buy one.
I wouldnt take the GP bashing personally but rather an expression of people dissatisfaction with what MINI has "produced". Even the delivery bit is a bit lame. Spend $2K and pay your own way to California? Duh. Usually when you take overseas delivery of a car, the car is much cheaper than MSRP so it pays for the trip.
Well that sucks a bit but it's nothing to do with the car.

I just wish people would be a bit more considerate for those that are getting one. Of course people are entitled to their opinion but it always seems the same people each time. (hint hint. )

I for one can't wait for the car.

Old 05-16-2006, 04:56 PM
Webini
2nd Gear
This auction smells like a scam. 7 feedback and nothing related to cars. He's bought playing cards and foam!

Plus the erector set wing is *&)&*(#$ ugly!

Old 05-16-2006, 05:05 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Get rid of the red mirror covers and the boy racer rear wing and it would look almost as good as a stock MCS.

Old 05-16-2006, 05:39 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes they WILL rot (or get sold to employees)

Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol
I only wish those stupid GP's would rot on the lots like the MC-40's did.But there are probably 400 people out there that will think they are getting something truly special.. . .

Oh yah YP right freaking on! GP=Goofy Product. Gawd I HATE these tacky merdemobiles JB

Last edited by MINIclo; 05-16-2006 at 05:56 PM. Reason: to correct quotation format
Old 05-16-2006, 07:14 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Webini
This auction smells like a scam. 7 feedback and nothing related to cars. He's bought playing cards and foam!
Well it's easy enough to verify with the dealership. He says he is Devin Pinckard at MINI of St. Louis at 314-727-8870 (which happens to be the main phone number of the dealership). Do a search on "devin" and you'll find that he's been mentioned on NAM and is indeed an MA there.

Old 05-16-2006, 07:27 PM
LMB
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sequence

Oh yah YP right freaking on! GP=Goofy Product. Gawd I HATE these tacky merdemobiles JB
Great input as usual...........what a valued member you are to the Mini Community.

Old 05-16-2006, 07:38 PM
ronburton
2nd Gear
ebay is about more than just selling this one car

Part of the deal with listing cars on ebay is to generate interest as much as it is to actually sell the car while the auction is active. A lot of cars sell after the auction is over both for less then the closing price and often for more than the closing price. I suspect the reserve is set at MSRP or above. That well help push up the perceived value of the car. No dealer or anyone else that has one of these on order wants to see, even for a few hours, a car meet its reserve at less than MSRP and essentialy be sold. The dealer may very well end up selling their total allotment while this one auction is active on ebay.

Ron

Old 05-16-2006, 08:05 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LMB,

Don't let a few of us nay-sayers rain on your parade. It sounds like the GP is exactly what you want in a MINI and you will be thrilled with it.

The concept of creating one incredible serious and dedicated street legal racing MINI is great, but I am not thrilled with the choices and compromises made by MINI to create the GP. It's not the MINI I would build for the money, but that doesn't mean you won't or shouldn't love it. I'll certainly want to check out the first one I see.

Old 05-16-2006, 09:02 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
As the GP is as few as the m3 LTW (and i think gabe compared it to this), I think it's rarity or value will be more to that of an 325is m-technic only 150 built (pretty much an alpine white m3 with LTW interior and a 2.5L in it) for the US since we didn't allow the m3 in 94...

Old 05-17-2006, 09:28 AM
jimskater
3rd Gear
Mo. I'm with you on this one--the whole slagging of the GP vs praising of the GP is a non-issue for me.

I'm getting a GP for a number of reasons. I actually have grown to like the look of the car. Weaknesses--the rims (but they're growing on me) & the black wheel arches. I'm waiting to see them in person before making a final decision as to if/when I color code the arches. The rear wing is a little boy-racerish, but what the hell, so is the rest of the car.

Strengths--cost!!! This makes my accountant's heart flutter--I'm getting a MINI that just happens to have all the JCW bits I would have spec'd, plus a couple of more, for less than what I'd normally have to pay. The revised gearbox & the LSD are additional pluses over my 04 MCS. I really like that it's a true 2 seater--and the way the rear hatch area is put together.

Going from an 04 to an 06 means I'll be getting the passenger side "oh-s***" handle, the larger rear view mirror, and the rest of the interior upgrades that came about in 05. I'd rather have the recaros, too, but that's not gonna happen--so I'll settle for the adjustable 1/2 leather seats.

Yes, I know all of the things I like about the GP are available on any 06 JCW car. The thing is, overall, I like the look of the GP. I like the idea that it's relatively rare. (will you give me that, YP? ). I love the fact that it's a MINI.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:46 AM
resmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jimskater
Strengths--cost!!! This makes my accountant's heart flutter--I'm getting a MINI that just happens to have all the JCW bits I would have spec'd, plus a couple of more, for less than what I'd normally have to pay.
You mean the dealers don't plan to add on 10 grand or so?

Old 05-17-2006, 09:53 AM
paulo500
3rd Gear
Yeah it's definitely nothing to write home about. Weird lookin' spoiler, gay wheels. Looks like somethin' from that old "Transformers" cartoon show.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:58 AM
jimskater
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by resmini
You mean the dealers don't plan to add on 10 grand or so?
Like I said: "I'm getting a MINI that just happens to have all the JCW bits I would have spec'd, plus a couple of more, for less than what I'd normally have to pay."

Unfortunately, mark ups are pretty much a fact of life in the So Cal market, especially if you want to get a locally sourced MINI in less than 6 to 9 months.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:59 AM
jimskater
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by paulo500
Yeah it's definitely nothing to write home about. Weird lookin' spoiler, gay wheels. Looks like somethin' from that old "Transformers" cartoon show.
Paulo, I'm gay. The wheels are just a little odd.

There's a subtle, but easily grasped, difference.

Old 05-17-2006, 10:22 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
That's enough of THAT noise, Paulo.

Old 05-17-2006, 12:55 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I know all of the things I like about the GP are available on any 06 JCW car. The thing is, overall, I like the look of the GP. I like the idea that it's relatively rare. (will you give me that, YP? ).
You got it man!

I can agree that if I was going to spec out a complete JCW MINI for late 2006, it would be a good choice for the $$ and you do get a bit of rarity to boot. As I said before, even though it is not my thing, I will definitely drool on the first one I see.

Old 05-17-2006, 12:57 PM
dansmini
5th Gear
For what it's worth (nothing), I actually like the wheels and mirror caps. Not too sure about the wing, but other than that I think it looks pretty sweet.

Old 05-17-2006, 01:14 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LMB
I just wish people would be a bit more considerate for those that are getting one. Of course people are entitled to their opinion but it always seems the same people each time. (hint hint. )
I was trying to explain to you why so many don't like the idea ... severe disappointment with what MINI has done. Sorry you don't like that idea but its pretty self-evident.

That said, the fact that so many people do not like it does not mean you should not enjoy it or reap its benefits. Its all just opinions which aren't worth much of anything.

I hope you enjoy your car to the fullest and don't worry about what other ppl think (especially me). You don't need anyone else to validate your choices.

Best of Luck

Old 05-17-2006, 01:46 PM
Jim Ray
4th Gear
Paulo, I'm gay. The wheels are just a little odd.

There's a subtle, but easily grasped, difference.
Yep, even I can tell the difference. Looking forward to four fun days in Monterey Jim. I wish Steve could have made it, but it will be nice to meet your dad. There will be plenty of adult folk there for him to chat with.

Old 05-17-2006, 03:56 PM
MiniMaxx
5th Gear
YP and Chow, I'm glad I read the whole thread (as anyone should before responding) because I was ready to empty a colon on you. Fact is, we're all MINI owners first of all. We all have our right to our own opinions including the right to dislike. It just aint right to dog it to the extent that the choosers feel bad about the choice. I'm glad you softened your stance so that we can agree to disagree. I have an MCS 40 (well the gf does) and I'm intrigued by the GP. It's about the only thing that would make me give up my PW/B MCS. You came back around to respect and I appreciate it. Now, about the color purple........ just kidding, and I can't say much CR . Now lets go dog some ricers.

Quick Reply: MINI JCW GP on EBAY!!