JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW 2008 Jcw

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 12:51 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike MCS
They now offer the 225bhp HPD kit as the MCS Works GP approaches production.
What odds will people offer me that the GP comes with 225bhp (DIN) as standard?
Don't hold your breath.

First, thats NOT the JCW Tuning Kit but the kit for the Challenge series. You can't buy it in the US and if you buy it in the UK, it is NOT covered by warranty

Second, its been out for quite some time ... nothing new here

Third, it gains the extra HP via headers and ECU flash. Not clear they will ever bring that into US because of emission? Maybe ... Maybe not.

Initially they were talking different IC and flash to get the 8 extra HP.

I also wrote to JCW and they said dont hold you breath about getting the GP extra HP on an existing TC either ... sigh

Old 02-18-2006, 03:37 AM
Mike MCS
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand the Works kit wasn't covered by the warranty either to begin with - or maybe that was just the TLC package.

There's changes to the supercharger on the 225 kit too - different pulley and ported internals apparently.

Headers by themselves shouldn't ruin the emissions though? There's still a full set of cat and muffler boxes. The cat is a little less close to the exhaust ports though, so maybe you can run a map that would melt the stock setup? I'm gessing that would mess up the emmisions!

Did JCW say why?

Old 02-18-2006, 09:03 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
I understand the Works kit wasn't covered by the warranty either to begin with - or maybe that was just the TLC package.

There's changes to the supercharger on the 225 kit too - different pulley and ported internals apparently.

Headers by themselves shouldn't ruin the emissions though?

Did JCW say why?
JCW Tuning Kits come with full warranty backed by MINI
JCW Motorsports items do not

Yes it did say something about the SC

Lots of ppl run aftermarket headers. I think some are fine, some seem to throw codes ... you got to search the threads to find out ... Its just not clear to me JCW would sell headers to the US market because of whatever emissions testing it would have to go through which costs money

No, they were very curt with their answer (and I emailed them twice with different email addys). It was something like
"there are no plan to offer this conversion on other than the Limited Edition Grand Prix" Can plans change? Sure but doubtful because it is the LAST of the line for this generation and to make it "special" ... it wouldnt be so special anymore if anyone could have it.

Just my opinion

Old 02-23-2006, 10:23 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 MCS GP JCW = 218 bhp.

Theo

Old 02-23-2006, 11:30 AM
Mike MCS
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 'News' section on Mini2 now has a press-release that suggests the difference is a new intercooler and a remap.

I'm struggling to see how this would be difficult to fit on a regular Works or MCS, but I look forward to seeing more details

Old 02-23-2006, 03:44 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
The 'News' section on Mini2 now has a press-release that suggests the difference is a new intercooler and a remap.

I'm struggling to see how this would be difficult to fit on a regular Works or MCS, but I look forward to seeing more details
The issue is whether or not they will sell it to you without a VIN. Doubtful since surely they will want the "last" of the JCWs to be "special". That is exactly the question I asked JCW and they said NO.

Old 02-23-2006, 04:20 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by chows4us

The issue is whether or not they will sell it to you without a VIN. Doubtful since surely they will want the "last" of the JCWs to be "special". That is exactly the question I asked JCW and they said NO.
You can buy the Works Upgrade Kit (intake and injectors) without a VIN, so you may be able to get the rumored intercooler by finding a dealer looking to make money

Old 02-23-2006, 04:47 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIAC
You can buy the Works Upgrade Kit (intake and injectors) without a VIN, so you may be able to get the rumored intercooler by finding a dealer looking to make money
You mean without the original TC?

Old 02-23-2006, 05:37 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear

You mean without the original TC?
Where do you think Helix is getting the JCW intakes and injectors to sell separately

The only problem with the intercooler is that a dealer would have to special order it ... and MINI USA might get wise to what people are doing

Old 02-24-2006, 01:04 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIAC
Where do you think Helix is getting the JCW intakes and injectors to sell separately

The only problem with the intercooler is that a dealer would have to special order it ... and MINI USA might get wise to what people are doing
MINI2 ppl had a problem with telling the world (publishing) the TC numbers because to get a part, the dealer wanted the numbers. Some ppl were upset because if like 100 ppl used one number, MINI wouldnt be happy with the original owner cause obviously the same part aint gonna break 100 times

I guess the upgrade kit is different

Old 02-24-2006, 01:26 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear

MINI2 ppl had a problem with telling the world (publishing) the TC numbers because to get a part, the dealer wanted the numbers. Some ppl were upset because if like 100 ppl used one number, MINI wouldnt be happy with the original owner cause obviously the same part aint gonna break 100 times
This was MINI2 members from the UK as their dealers were requiring the Kit Numbers.

You might want to call Classic to see what their policy is on ordering JCW performance parts.