JCW Who's considering the 308HP 2020 JCW Countryman/Clubman?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 07:04 AM
cooper48
6th Gear
Received 549 Likes on 446 Posts
I drive a 6-speed manual myself but there's a reason Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani, Aston Martin and other exotics all have paddle-shifted autos. They're simply superior to manual transmissions. Now, I'll never have the new Mini Countryman because I don't see $45,000 in it (plus I find 4 doors unseemly on a Mini) but there will be plenty of people out there driving them and blowing my little R53 off the road. Progress stops for no man.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:19 AM
El-Grunto
3rd Gear
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
And there's a reason the most driver of the driver's car, the Miata, sells more manuals than autos. Because while a manual may be slower nowadays it offers a connection with the car that an auto can't and never will. Let's face it, we drive Minis. They're not rocket ships but they're still a blast to drive. Because they're a driver's car. Take the manual away and you've got a car with an incomplete soul.

The following 3 users liked this post by El-Grunto:
Mini_Vinnie (05-17-2019), mrs_f56 (06-17-2019), Spyderidol (05-26-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 11:30 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by El-Grunto
And there's a reason the most driver of the driver's car, the Miata, sells more manuals than autos. Because while a manual may be slower nowadays it offers a connection with the car that an auto can't and never will. Let's face it, we drive Minis. They're not rocket ships but they're still a blast to drive. Because they're a driver's car. Take the manual away and you've got a car with an incomplete soul.
Cars are machines, they don't have souls. My F56 is fun to drive as an auto, probably fun to drive as a manual if my body cooperated with it. I don't go around bashing cars because people insist on driving manuals when auto's are a lot easier. If I visited your house would you be hunt and pecking on a manual typewriter? I remember how cool it felt punching those keys down and watching letters appear on paper, until the IBM electric typewriter became affordable. Pure bliss, that machine had a soul (LOL).

Old 05-17-2019, 11:53 AM
El-Grunto
3rd Gear
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Cars are machines, they don't have souls. My F56 is fun to drive as an auto, probably fun to drive as a manual if my body cooperated with it. I don't go around bashing cars because people insist on driving manuals when auto's are a lot easier. If I visited your house would you be hunt and pecking on a manual typewriter? I remember how cool it felt punching those keys down and watching letters appear on paper, until the IBM electric typewriter became affordable. Pure bliss, that machine had a soul (LOL).
I'm not here to get into pissing match over transmissions. If you like manuals that's cool and if you like autos that's also cool. But there's a reason not having a manual option for a drivers car is a mistake. Personally I'm not interested in owning a car that isn't a manual. I'd take a Hellcat over a Demon simply because one offers a manual and the other doesn't. I don't care that the Demon is way faster. There'll always be a faster car. Take a look at any review for the new Supra and you'll see that while it's universally liked as a good car the lack of a manual is also universally lamented. And while you won't find a typewriter in my house (although I'm in Seattle so my hipster *** just might have to get one) you'd find mechanical keyboards because that clicky-clacky tactile feedback is important to the typing experience.

The following users liked this post:
mrs_f56 (06-17-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 10:22 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I had a manual 2007 MCS and now an auto 2014 JCW Coupe. I have to admit I prefer the auto. What I suspect with the 300 HP Clubman/Countryman is developing a manual/clutch for that powerplant may have been more trouble than it was worth to Mini. I'm guessing that 80% of new Minis are autos these days, and that of those a disproportionate share are Justas. If I got one of those Gen3 turbo Justas I'd get a manual, you betcha. I bet it's a blast.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:41 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Read a blub about it today on Motoringfile (I can't post links for some reason sorry). I sounds pretty much a deluxe track type Mini to me, huge power, 8 speed trans (no manual), stiffer body and frame, upgraded suspension parts, new cooling. They said production starts in July (???). Not at all as extreme looking as the GP3 but probably as fast and handles pretty close.
I've had my eye on the Gen3 Clubman and this just might do it for me as my final Mini. I keep 'em about 6 years which will be next year. My Coupe was $40k I bet this is a bit more all loaded up. Maybe $45? Waddaya think about this badboy?
I drove both of these as loaners and I have never been impressed. I don't think a power boost will really change anything about the car dynamics and appeal. Both of them are long overdue for a complete redesign.

My feeling is BMW doesn't care anymore about the Mini brand other than econo boxes getting uglier with any trim design bits they add to make it different from the competition. In the other way, they spend a lot to upgrade the appeal in the same price range with their BMW 2 Series. As far as I am concerned, I consider the M240I very seriously when time will come to get rid of my JCW Coupe. For now, I am still happy.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:01 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Old 05-27-2019, 11:09 AM
Alexandru Doncea
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2017All4
I'm glad the hardtop is keeping manuals accross the lineup and although I'm sad the clubman jcw lost the option, I still believe that the auto suits the car much better. Also, did you guys see the new 1 series M35i? It's literally a clubman

Old 05-27-2019, 11:31 AM
sbreech
2nd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Alexandru Doncea
I'm glad the hardtop is keeping manuals accross the lineup and although I'm sad the clubman jcw lost the option, I still believe that the auto suits the car much better. Also, did you guys see the new 1 series M35i? It's literally a clubman
But it doesn’t have the barn doors. This is one of the features that I really like on the Clubman.

Old 05-27-2019, 01:26 PM
ND40oz
3rd Gear
Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Alexandru Doncea
The F40 M135i is on a completely new chassis built on the FAAR platform.

Mini is going to have to keep the price of the new Clubman and Countryman JCWs around the current pricing, otherwise people will just buy the X2 M35i instead.

Old 05-27-2019, 01:35 PM
Alexandru Doncea
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ND40oz
The F40 M135i is on a completely new chassis built on the FAAR platform.

Mini is going to have to keep the price of the new Clubman and Countryman JCWs around the current pricing, otherwise people will just buy the X2 M35i instead.
Ah I didn't know they used that platform!! And I agree it must be around the same pricing for it to be competitive because although I prefer the clubman any day of the week, a lot of people would rather a BMW for the name alone

Old 05-27-2019, 04:31 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My wife is considering the Countryman. Although I'm not sure why. She's on her 5th Mini. She did 100% of the build on this last one.....2017 COMPLETELY loaded. Plus she rarely drives in Sport Mode. She either keeps it in Mid, or Green if she's in heavy traffic.

Old 06-03-2019, 04:23 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by sbreech
But it doesn’t have the barn doors. This is one of the features that I really like on the Clubman.
Really? Then what's the diff between the Clubman and Countryman? Love the barn doors too.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:15 AM
tommybwell
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My first three MINI's were manuals, my last two were/are autos. I love to shift but don't need a clutch to feel connected. As far as a 300 hp MINI I have no interest. My goal for this car is blasting around on the street without getting in too much trouble. Anything I do that increases hp or handling move me further from that goal.

The following users liked this post:
sbreech (06-09-2019)