JCW jcw pro/performance exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 07:39 AM
Mrduder
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jcw pro/performance exhaust

is the pro/performance exhaust worth the price on a JCW? The stock JCW exhaust sounds pretty good already. dealer quoted me $1400 installed with tips. Trying to decide if it's that much better than the stock JCW exhaust. thoughts?

Old 01-08-2019, 10:48 AM
DST
Neutral
I prefer the Pro Exhaust over the Stock JCW Exhaust. More pops! More sound! More MINI.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:20 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrduder
is the pro/performance exhaust worth the price on a JCW? The stock JCW exhaust sounds pretty good already. dealer quoted me $1400 installed with tips. Trying to decide if it's that much better than the stock JCW exhaust. thoughts?
That's more than I paid for the exhaust and tune installed on my MCS. All you'll be getting is the exhaust.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:56 AM
Mrduder
1st Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
That's more than I paid for the exhaust and tune installed on my MCS. All you'll be getting is the exhaust.
How much did you pay?

Old 01-08-2019, 12:36 PM
J_L
5th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
Are you sure about that price? MSRP is over $2k, I thought. And it's maybe a 2 hour install at a shop, with the wiring and everything.

If it's really $1,400, that seems like a steal. However, if you have a JCW, you're not getting the benefit of the tune that comes with it. So for similar $, you could get the Remus. It also has a remote, and people seem to like it better. It's louder (probably because 2nd cat is eliminated), and there are 4 modes, not just open / closed. The JCW Pro is maybe a little quieter than the OEM JCW when closed. I can barely hear the pops on mine. I'd do Remus next time =)

Old 01-08-2019, 12:37 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
That's not a bad price ... much lower than a few years ago. Still you may want to look at other options ... I have the Remus and love it.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:55 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by rtowell
That's not a bad price ... much lower than a few years ago. Still you may want to look at other options ... I have the Remus and love it.
Second Remus. It is an incredible exhaust, similar price, and the Bluetooth its horrible like the JCW BT system

The following users liked this post:
Ray777 (02-07-2021)
Old 01-08-2019, 01:59 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
If the stock exhaust sounds good, save your $1400 for something that will actually give you a real benefit.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:48 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
The stock exhaust is just fine with me. If I want more noise I'll replace the entire system with stainless steel & maximum diameter. I've never been a fan of the JCW Pro Exhaust setup......one tail pipe tip is black with the flap open, and I still say their is a power loss with the flap closed since all the exhaust is forced through a single pipe, although no biggie either way. Then there's the problem (sometimes) with the bluetooth control.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:50 PM
Mrduder
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
If the stock exhaust sounds good, save your $1400 for something that will actually give you a real benefit.
The exhaust sounds good, but can always be better/louder. Looking for something noticeably louder

Old 01-08-2019, 06:19 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Cut the midpipe resonator out. I did that first. It was a nice sound combination with the JCW valve open

Old 01-08-2019, 08:40 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
The JCW pro exhaust is a great add on on an "S". It includes a tune. But it only adds sound to the JCW.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:41 PM
Mrduder
1st Gear
Originally Posted by dpcompt
The JCW pro exhaust is a great add on on an "S". It includes a tune. But it only adds sound to the JCW.
Sound that is quite noticeable and worth it?
I'm getting he Dinan elite tune so I don't care about power improvement. Just want louder

Old 01-09-2019, 12:22 PM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrduder
The exhaust sounds good, but can always be better/louder. Looking for something noticeably louder
I wanted my JCW to sound a bit louder & lower, so I paid a visit to my local exhaust & muffler shop. The hooked me up with a Magnaflow repo/copy (muffler only) that sounds great and cost me all of $130 out the door. The $1400 - $1800 I saved vs. Remus or the JCW Pro went a long way towards many other goodies for my MINI.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:40 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
My ECU tune made my exhaust pop a LOT more. Only when I let off the gas at higher RPM, not when I am on the throttle. I'd pass on the Pro exhaust. I only paid about $500 for my tune.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:50 PM
J_L
5th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
My ECU tune made my exhaust pop a LOT more. Only when I let off the gas at higher RPM, not when I am on the throttle. I'd pass on the Pro exhaust. I only paid about $500 for my tune.
Newt- odd question, but how's the "quality" of the pops after tune? With my Pro exhaust open, the smaller/faster pops sound great. Like a can of rocks. But sometimes it comes out as 1-2 gunshots. Not such a fan of that. Just wondering if the increased pops with tune affects it either way.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:38 AM
MikeMJCW
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts
For reference, I paid $1800 installed at the dealer with chrome tips for the JCW exhaust.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:34 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by J_L
Newt- odd question, but how's the "quality" of the pops after tune? With my Pro exhaust open, the smaller/faster pops sound great. Like a can of rocks. But sometimes it comes out as 1-2 gunshots. Not such a fan of that. Just wondering if the increased pops with tune affects it either way.
No, no "gunshots". And it only does it if I'm at about 4,000 RPM and let off the gas. It's really cool. If I'm cruising at 3,000 nothing pops. But it did not do that before the ECU tune (I don't have a JCW exhaust obviously, and I have an R58 not an F series Mini).

J_L (01-11-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 01:55 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Since you have a JCW for the cost I would also recommend going with the Remus as it is is much lighter than the JCW and more functions with the flap. Also it's carbon tips are awesome
https://www.waymotorworks.com/remus-...-cooper-s.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 01-11-2019, 04:54 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
As you can see in my sig, I have a ‘16 f56 JCW. I also had the JCW Pro exhaust installed, as well as my new tires, wheels, spacers, and extended bolts. All while taking delivery. I absolutely love the sound of my exhaust. Before I drove off the lot my “Genious” showed me how to do a “Bluetooth delete”, so both my flaps are open all the time. Now with that being said, I kind of wish I went with the Remus. No big deal though. I get a great sound, lots of pops, and it’s all going to get better after I install Mario’s downpipe, and his flash tune.

Mike

Old 01-11-2019, 07:26 PM
FDR
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I have the pro exhaust on my JCW and I have a couple thoughts. First, I became so frustrated with the flap closing uncommanded I unplugged the connector and locked it in the open position for full time track mode. So now you essentially have an $1800 exhaust that could could replicate for $150 by cutting off the muffler and welding in a section of straight pipe, because that’s all track mode is - a straight pipe. My next problem is I find the closed flap position way too quiet. The only place this would be helpful is for cold starts, which are now very loud.

My personal opinion is it’s too quiet with the flap closed and too loud with it open. I live in a densely populated suburb and the gunshots that come out the back sometimes probably freak people out. I’m actually thinking about pulling the system off and installing the AWE touring system. No flaps, no b.s., plus as others have mentioned, since I run flap open one pipe is black and the other clean. If I keep the system I will probably paint the inside of the tips black so I’m not having to clean every day.

I will say the JCW pro seems to be the most beloved f56 exhaust out there, maybe neck and neck with the Remus. If I lived in a more remote area the loudness probably wouldn’t be an issue (and it does sound very good). That damn Bluetooth flap just kills me.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:28 PM
peterpan101
3rd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
My original plan when I decided to go with my JCW was to get a Remus system but added the pro system when I placed my order. Bluetooth issues did give me pause. Only time will tell if I made the right choice and enjoy it,

Old 01-12-2019, 06:50 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
JCW Pro Exhaust

I have the Pro exhaust on my I/O JCW ( bought it off the lot inventory). I like it when I am in manual sport mode driving the winding foothills in California's Gold Country. I love the sound, but when cruising at low rpms (1800-), it's a little drony. If I were ordering a JCW, I don't think I would spend the money for the Pro exhaust. If I were ordering an"S", I would definitely order the JCW Pro exhaust because it includes the tune that adds more performance. Also, it's lot cheaper to order the pro exhaust than to have the dealer install it( $1000 plus cheaper).

Last edited by dpcompt; 01-12-2019 at 06:53 PM. Reason: change
Old 01-12-2019, 07:08 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
Received 137 Likes on 90 Posts
I had an authorized BMW shop install the JCW PRO exhaust for me and after 35,000 + miles it has been stellar with no issues. The install price was considerably less than the mini dealership. It produces 8 more horsepower with it open than closed. I was not aware of the Remus exhaust when I had it done or I might have gone with them, but I have no regrets with the mini exhaust.

vetsvette (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 07:54 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
No, no "gunshots". And it only does it if I'm at about 4,000 RPM and let off the gas. It's really cool. If I'm cruising at 3,000 nothing pops. But it did not do that before the ECU tune (I don't have a JCW exhaust obviously, and I have an R58 not an F series Mini).
Should be noted that you have a N18 motor vs B46/48 that the 3rd Gen cars have. The JCW Pro wouldn't fit your car anyway.
I have the exhaust along with a Bytetronik tune and I get the occasional "gunshot" too, especially with the catless DP. I had a NC State Trooper pull up next to me at a light and ask if my little car was making all that noise. As I reached down to close the flap I told him, "Yes Sir, it does that sometimes for some reason". Then I quietly motored away with the muffler engaged. I also had the "cold start" mode removed so it is quieter when first started with a cold motor.

The following 2 users liked this post by vetsvette:
J_L (01-14-2019), KYDan (02-07-2021)

Quick Reply: JCW jcw pro/performance exhaust