JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

JCW "Flap Mod" Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 10:54 AM
Jaughn
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JCW "Flap Mod" Question

Hello NAM,
Okay - I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but I have a question about removing the flap in the intake of my '06 JCW.
I have been looking through the site for a few days and all I can find are people saying that they removed the flap, no clear instructions on how to do it. I looked on youtube hoping for a video, but all I could find was a video from Madness Motorworks where they leave the flap in, but jam it open with the linkage. I would much rather just remove the flap altogether.
So, is there a definitive how-to on this? Is it pretty straight forward once you have the top of the intake off and on the table?
I know this is a pretty old topic, but I just bought my first Mini and this stuff is all new to me!

Old 11-29-2018, 01:14 PM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaughn
Hello NAM,
Okay - I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but I have a question about removing the flap in the intake of my '06 JCW.
I have been looking through the site for a few days and all I can find are people saying that they removed the flap, no clear instructions on how to do it. I looked on youtube hoping for a video, but all I could find was a video from Madness Motorworks where they leave the flap in, but jam it open with the linkage. I would much rather just remove the flap altogether.
So, is there a definitive how-to on this? Is it pretty straight forward once you have the top of the intake off and on the table?
I know this is a pretty old topic, but I just bought my first Mini and this stuff is all new to me!
Open the airbox and remove parts: 11,13, and the flap that actually sits in the airbox inlet (X on the diagram). Remove associated vacuum lines and cap the line that runs from the bypass valve (27).

Or you could just remove the flap itself and cap the bypass valve vacuum line (27), leaving the dead equipment in the airbox.

This is the actual flap, looking into the airbox.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:28 PM
Jaughn
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Derek86,
Righteous man! Thank you! I really appreciate it.

Old 12-02-2018, 04:41 PM
OCR
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts
Or just remove the butterfly...period.
Leave everything else connected. That way, the engine management system thinks everything is working properly.

JUST remove the four screws that hold the top of the oval part of the housing (that covers the butterfly), remove the butterfly, replace the housing cover, reassembly the top of the airbox to the lower part of the airbox. Reconnect all vacuum and electrical connections.

I did this right after buying my JCW. Been good ever since.

Mike

Old 12-03-2018, 04:56 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by OCR
Or just remove the butterfly...period.
Leave everything else connected. That way, the engine management system thinks everything is working properly.
The car won't know any different unless there is a vacuum leak.