JCW Dinan Elite on a JCW, Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 05:16 AM
G26okie
2nd Gear
Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
I just placed an order for the Elite with my local dealer. Should hopefully get installed this week.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:32 AM
elsnaibs
2nd Gear
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Masada
I am really interested in giving my F54 JCW more power but I think I will wait until the warranty is up. The Elite is supposed to address that (as it voids Mini warranty) but putting a tune of any sort on a brand new (and pricey) car just seems a bit crazy to me. Maybe Mini will release a more powerful F54 as they will be doing with the Countryman in the future.
The tune from EVOLVE allows you to switch back and forth from the tune and the stock ECU map. Takes about 40 minutes to swap using the dongle they provide and my laptop. I ended up with 256 HP and 296 TQ at the wheels, which translates to about 295 HP and 348 TQ at the crank. It's shocking how different the car feels now.

Last edited by elsnaibs; 10-23-2018 at 12:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
YSoBlue (10-23-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 12:36 PM
YSoBlue
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by elsnaibs
The tune from EVOLVE allows you to switch back and forth from the tune and the stock ECU map. Takes about 40 minutes to swap using the dongle they provide and my laptop. I ended up with 256 HP and 296 TQ at the wheels, which translates to about 295 HP and 248 TQ at the crank. It's shocking how different the car feels now.
I wish EVOLVE would offer a warranty umbrella similar to ELITE. I added a new tune to my last car at 500 miles, and ended up paying the price in the end. Nice to hear that there are good options when it comes time.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:43 PM
elsnaibs
2nd Gear
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by YSoBlue
I wish EVOLVE would offer a warranty umbrella similar to ELITE. I added a new tune to my last car at 500 miles, and ended up paying the price in the end. Nice to hear that there are good options when it comes time.
Dinan has partnered with BMW for years, and it's the only way they are able to warranty the product and get them installed through the dealer. There is no such thing as a tune which modifies the ECU that will be able to be warrantied or supported by the manufacturer, and it never will be. That being said, you can plug in to the OBDII with this and go right back to stock for warranty work. I'm switching it back to stock and swapping out some modified parts for stock this friday for service being done on Saturday.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:56 PM
G26okie
2nd Gear
What car and what tune?

Old 10-24-2018, 05:49 AM
YSoBlue
2nd Gear
2014 Challenger. Custom tune with many after-market products. The tune actually was not the problem. But after I snapped an axle I took it to the dealer to see if they would cover it. As part of the warranty determination they looked at the in the PCM. They could not see the custom tune, but there was a residual marker that tells them how many times the car has been flashed or tuned. After that they just walked away. I expected it. It knew the chance when I made the decision. Gotta pay to play. Speed cost money...how fast you wanna go?!

Old 10-24-2018, 06:12 AM
G26okie
2nd Gear
2014 Challenger. Custom tune with many after-market products. The tune actually was not the problem. But after I snapped an axle I took it to the dealer to see if they would cover it. As part of the warranty determination they looked at the in the PCM. They could not see the custom tune, but there was a residual marker that tells them how many times the car has been flashed or tuned. After that they just walked away. I expected it. It knew the chance when I made the decision. Gotta pay to play. Speed cost money...how fast you wanna go?!
I feel ya. I was in a similar boat with my 2011 Mazdaspeed 3. I modded it too much. Full bolt-ons and a custom tune actually done by myself, dynoed at 290whp/330wtrq. The issue was I took my brand new car, added the stiff engine/trans mounts, upgraded high pressure fuel pump, and I was running the stock turbo way off the compressor efficiency map with some other mods causing issues as well. I felt like I had to constantly monitor everything, and the car was rattling itself apart with the mounts. As the stock turbo started dying I needed to make a decision if I wanted to go down the route of upgrading the turbo, and then possibly blowing the motor and/or not being able to sell it as easily or just go back to stock and trade it in and get a car I wouldn't need to worry about.

Only reason I am putting any kind of tune on this car is because of Dinan's experience, the warranty, and the fact that my dealer can just plug it in and if there is an issue it can be removed very easily. Dropping the Mini off at the dealer tomorrow morning for the install.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:30 AM
YSoBlue
2nd Gear
Oh, there is no doubt, I plan to add the DINAN Elite. I would prefer to go with a custom tune, but with a 2019 I my wait a bit. Please let us know how you feel about the DINAN once you have it installed.

The following users liked this post:
G26okie (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 01:23 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I waited until my warranty was up to have the Manic ECU tune installed in my JCW Coupe. Like some others have said I was pretty happy with the acceleration of the car like it was. It was a lot quicker than my 2007 MCS. But the Manic took it to a whole different level. I admit that I don't use the extra power/acceleration all that often, but it was only $500 and the exhaust burbles I did not have at all before the tune. The guy who installed it said he used to offer a switch under the hood so you could turn it off (extra $100) but nobody ever used it so he quit offering it. I don't drive that much on the freeway but man if you punch it going 70 mph you're at 100mph ASAP.

Old 11-02-2018, 02:34 AM
G26okie
2nd Gear
Oh, there is no doubt, I plan to add the DINAN Elite. I would prefer to go with a custom tune, but with a 2019 I my wait a bit. Please let us know how you feel about the DINAN once you have it installed.
I picked the car up last night and drove about 20 miles home, mostly highway with a little city.

They replaced the car battery while it was in service so I assume the ecu has to relearn, not sure how that affects power if at all, but the car feels great.

These are my preliminary impressions having not driven it that much. It drives like an oem product. No weird power fluctuations or hiccups. I noticed the most power difference right at 3k rpms, and past 5k rpms. At 3k rpms the torque comes on slightly smoother than stock, but definitely pushs you back in the seat harder. Cruising on the highway at 80+mph and you want to pass, it does it very easily. Going WOT, before I felt like it kinda ran out of breath past 5k rpm, now it seemed to keep pulling, hard, right until redline.

I commute 35 miles each way to work, so I should rack up the miles quickly, get the ecu settled in and hopefully no check engine lights.

The following 2 users liked this post by G26okie:
fridayxiii (11-02-2018), YSoBlue (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 10:26 AM
G26okie
2nd Gear
Nothing much new to report after my drive to work this morning. Car feels very strong on the highway, still runs smooth as silk and no check engine lights after multiple power cycles.

I did try to register the device with the MAC address on Dinan's website and it gave me an error so I've got an email into them to resolve that.

Old 11-02-2018, 05:53 PM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by G26okie
Nothing much new to report after my drive to work this morning. Car feels very strong on the highway, still runs smooth as silk and no check engine lights after multiple power cycles.

I did try to register the device with the MAC address on Dinan's website and it gave me an error so I've got an email into them to resolve that.
Do tell how that comes out please? I too had a device MAC that was "previously registered", and I do not believe that the dealer beat me to it. More likely the MAC on the component was BS.

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 11-03-2018, 12:51 PM
Lionel Hutz
1st Gear
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by G26okie

I had to go through a whole silly email process with Dinan to get mine registered. They required a lot more info than their registration sheet says they do.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:31 AM
G26okie
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Lionel Hutz
I had to go through a whole silly email process with Dinan to get mine registered. They required a lot more info than their registration sheet says they do.
Yeah, I had an email convo with them this morning and just sent them the registration form and dealer invoice.

Car has about 230 miles on it with the Elite, still pulls hard, runs smooth and no check engine lights. I am starting to get used to the extra power though so that kinda sucks but always happens.