JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Stinky clutch redeaux

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 10:28 PM
Maylene mini
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stinky clutch redeaux

Some of you may remember that my 2010 JCW Clubman supposedly had the clutch changed prior to delivery to me. I had noticed a smell like fried clutch after parking in my garage ever since I got it. The last straw was when I sat in a huge cloud of smoke while trying to back up a very steep drive. The clutch pretty much went away after that.
I took it to a a local Mini garage and they installed a new clutch even though the old one had less than 2k. They showed me the parts and the disk was not worn evenly. They did not know what caused it and guessed that the OEM part or parts may have been defective.

I do not drive this car every day. I did take it up and ran the Dragon in October and had a great time. Most all of my driving is just commuting and I am real easy on clutches. I have a Honda S2000 that I have been driving since 2002 and it has a good clutch still.

The other day I parked it in the garage and the clutch was emitting that familiar bouquet of fried clutch. Every time I park and get out I smell the clutch.
The clutch is warranted for two years and it has been about six months since the second clutch was put in. This time I have put about 1500 miles on it including the trip to North Carolina.

This is getting REAL frustrating. Bought all the parts for a stage 2 from M7 but I do not want to install them until the clutch problem is fixed.

Before I go visit the garage, do any of you know what is going on?