JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Would you pay 11k for this? 2006 jcw

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 11:56 PM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Some colors/options are really hard to find. If I came across a very low mileage blue JCW hard top with heated English leather seats, chrono, loaded, single owner, clean carfax, sold by a mini dealer (for optimal maintenance reassurance) etc I would maybe pay $11k. Would the average buyer pay that much? No. Fair market value seems to be around $8-9k which is a steal.

Someone said low mileage cars are overrated.. if you’d driven a higher mileage car, then a low mileage car back to back it’s incredibly different. The suspension is buttery smooth, steering is tight, and there are no squeaks/rattles. I replaced just about everything made of rubber on my last cooper and it just never felt 100%. It was fine at almost 90k miles, but my new JCW feels perfect with 35k miles. Also with igher mileage cars you’re playinh wack-a-mole with repairs.

Here’s a link to a very well priced factory JCW if you like convertibles in SoCal. I almost bought this one.. opted for a hard top. It’s been for sale for a months, I’m sure they would go down to $7500. Carfax/autocheck looks good.

Merry Christmas (finishing wrapping at 2am, lol).

https://m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sa...ngId=470755764

Old 12-25-2017, 07:07 AM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
11 for an '06 is kind of steep.. I'd be looking for a 2010+ for those prices

Old 12-25-2017, 07:52 AM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cornjuice
11 for an '06 is kind of steep.. I'd be looking for a 2010+ for those prices
There are many people who consider 02-06 the only Cooper worth buying, therefor newer does not mean better or worth more. R56 coopers lost steering feel and have a long list of mechanical issues that will send you looking for a new engine. Personally, I would never buy an R56.. and I’m not alone in this opinion. Those folks will pay a premium for the harder to find R53 in clean, unadulterated, JCW glory.

No offense to R56 owners, it’s persoal preference..

The following users liked this post:
gsfent (12-30-2017)
Old 12-25-2017, 08:04 AM
Goldsmithy
MINI Alliance Ambassador
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
That is a very fair price...IF it has the service records and shows consistent maintenance.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:17 AM
JackMac
6th Gear
Received 307 Likes on 221 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldsmithy
That is a very fair price...IF it has the service records and shows consistent maintenance.
^This. Remember, the purchase price of an R53 is just the down payment. As they age, they require a good bit of $ for the common/inevitable fixes. So if you find a car that’s well maintained and isn’t leaking fluids from every possible corner of the engine bay, then in the long run you are better off.

So yes, I think this car is totally worth it.

gsfent (12-30-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 08:02 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
If you want brute power, a turbo will give you that, but if you want a car that handles like a Mini, the supercharger is not as rocket fast, but also keeps you from going off a cliff, with the brutal Turbo power coming on so fast. The super charger comes on below 3000rpms and comes up gradual, which makes handling more controllable, which is the true goal of a Mini Cooper. These are not drag cars! They are handling cars and cars you do not want to come like a fire cracker!

Old 12-30-2017, 01:44 PM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by burley
There are many people who consider 02-06 the only Cooper worth buying, therefor newer does not mean better or worth more. R56 coopers lost steering feel and have a long list of mechanical issues that will send you looking for a new engine. Personally, I would never buy an R56.. and I’m not alone in this opinion. Those folks will pay a premium for the harder to find R53 in clean, unadulterated, JCW glory.

No offense to R56 owners, it’s persoal preference..
On point. I wouldn't buy anything other than an R50 or R53.

Old 01-02-2018, 03:55 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Definitely a fair price. More than KBB, yes, but you have to consider the condition and mileage and how much more difficult it is to be able to find these cars now at 12 years old. If I put my car up for sale right now, I wouldn't take less than $10k. Mine has 72k miles, no sunroof and no chrono pack.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:17 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
That car looks better than the day the dealer first sold it.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:46 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by r53coop
That car looks better than the day the dealer first sold it.
It really does.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:34 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
I don't think I ever really answered this to the dollar amount. Yes it is worth the $11K, but for me, I am not into red, but the rest of it is Wow, nice.
These are extremely rare cars. They are very hard to find, as it took me almost a year to find mine (06 MCS JCW) in Hyper Blue!
I love mine and plan to keep it, until I am gone, or it is gone to dust!
$11,000 only sounds like a lot to a buyer that does not understand what this rare car is! They are Magical!

davisflyer (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 04:32 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice car!

Old 01-05-2018, 08:41 AM
Subw00er
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
It looks very nice to me. I agree with others comments, and the struts dont look mushroomed - you can tell it was loved. I'd say if it has had some of the basic common fail parts replaced (seals that create oil to name one), then its not far off. Its hard for KBB, insurance companies, etc to judge these cars because they typically dont list JCW cars separately, but they are a lot more desirable and are worth more for sure.

I bought a (TLC-needing) 48K mile '08 JCW and upgraded and fixed a few things. I'm at $12K invested ATM for my car and I love it, no regrets. If you like the car and its close to you, I'd say try to get a 'lil bit off for any issues or repair requirements and go with it. BTW I was worried about red initially too- never owned a red car. But I love it now. It totally fits the car's character.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:47 AM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
Make sure you know exactly what the car needs before you buy it. You may be able to get that negotiated into the price. It is not unrealistic to have a $1,500 repair bill to get a car to the condition that you thought it was already. If it needs nothing the price may be reasonable.

If he is firm on the price, I would agree to the price with stuff thrown in. This is an easier sale to someone that is firm from the beginning.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:01 AM
RedAggie03
4th Gear
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
I bought my car as a "steal" and within 3 month have about this much in it.... If it's solid, it could save you a lot of work. But you better know what you are looking for, I missed some key things that I had to repair.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:13 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 736 Likes on 521 Posts
Originally Posted by RedAggie03
I bought my car as a "steal" and within 3 month have about this much in it.... If it's solid, it could save you a lot of work. But you better know what you are looking for, I missed some key things that I had to repair.
Would you mind sharing the key things that you missed?

I'm currently in the market for an 05/06 and have researched enough to know the common problems to look out for,
but I want to be as thorough as possible so any advice or pointers is most welcomed.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:33 AM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Oldboy Speedwell
Would you mind sharing the key things that you missed?

I'm currently in the market for an 05/06 and have researched enough to know the common problems to look out for,
but I want to be as thorough as possible so any advice or pointers is most welcomed.
You didnt ask me, but I had a very similar thing happen. I found a "steal" and it cost me in the end, granted the 05 JCW had 79k miles when I bought it. I took the seller's word, and didn't ask enough questions. Everything looked good enough, and I took the keys.

On the cross country drive home the clutch was slipping in the first 30 min of the drive (it takes 20 min of driving to warm up enough to slip). I test drove and nothing seemed wrong. Cost for clutch alone was $1200 in labor and $300 parts.

Various clunks. I didn't notice it right away because you need to hit a bump just right for some to become apparent. This was much more expensive than I estimated. This is what it took to get the car handling and sounding normal.. Some items are just good preventive maintenance. When you're doing a clutch, there's a few items you might as well do when the subframe is off/front end service mode. I'm guessing, but I think total cost of parts and labor (including clutch) was $2500. Its very easy to miss seemingly small things, and they add up quickly when you're approaching 80k miles.

Rear sway bar bushings
Rear end links
Oil Change
4 new 18" tires
Alignment
Inner/Outer ball joints
Inner/outer tie rods
Soft top hardware thoroughly lubed
Valeo SM clutch and flywheel
Lower Motor Mount
Transmission fluid changed with Redline
Supercharger oil changed
Synthetic Oil Change
Crankshaft Position Sensor O-ring
Throw Out Bearing Guide Tube
Powerflex Front Control Arm Polyurethane Bushing kit
Ireland Engineering Fixed Camber plates
Rear Main Seal
Radiator fluid changed with BMW brand

Oldboy Speedwell (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 10:55 AM
RedAggie03
4th Gear
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
For example, the front strut pillow mounts. I looked and they didn't look cracked. so I thought I was good. What I learned later was you can't really see it all that well unless the wheels are turned full lock, then you can REALLY see it. One of mine had failed.

Oldboy Speedwell (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 10:56 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear

Thanks for the tip!

Old 01-10-2018, 11:01 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
You didnt ask me, but I had a very similar thing happen. I found a "steal" and it cost me in the end, granted the 05 JCW had 79k miles when I bought it. I took the seller's word, and didn't ask enough questions. Everything looked good enough, and I took the keys.

On the cross country drive home the clutch was slipping in the first 30 min of the drive (it takes 20 min of driving to warm up enough to slip). I test drove and nothing seemed wrong. Cost for clutch alone was $1200 in labor and $300 parts.

Various clunks. I didn't notice it right away because you need to hit a bump just right for some to become apparent. This was much more expensive than I estimated. This is what it took to get the car handling and sounding normal.. Some items are just good preventive maintenance. When you're doing a clutch, there's a few items you might as well do when the subframe is off/front end service mode. I'm guessing, but I think total cost of parts and labor (including clutch) was $2500. Its very easy to miss seemingly small things, and they add up quickly when you're approaching 80k miles.

Rear sway bar bushings
Rear end links
Oil Change
4 new 18" tires
Alignment
Inner/Outer ball joints
Inner/outer tie rods
Soft top hardware thoroughly lubed
Valeo SM clutch and flywheel
Lower Motor Mount
Transmission fluid changed with Redline
Supercharger oil changed
Synthetic Oil Change
Crankshaft Position Sensor O-ring
Throw Out Bearing Guide Tube
Powerflex Front Control Arm Polyurethane Bushing kit
Ireland Engineering Fixed Camber plates
Rear Main Seal
Radiator fluid changed with BMW brand

Most excellent!

Many thanks for the comprehensive checklist,
I appreciate it.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:28 PM
CV1148
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I contacted this seller the same day i bought my JCW. It was a week before Christmas and he was willing to take 9k. He was located in LA and I was in SD. He had another buyer that had offered the same and told me whoever meets up with him first gets it. I didn't bother going as it was going to be rush hour and would take me 5 hours to get there. In the end I bought my JCW the same from a seller that was 5 miles away from my home.The JCW i bought had the aero kit, suspension, black wheels, and cf dash, so I actually wanted that better over this one, but the lower mileage (mine has 75k) on this one was enticing.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:52 PM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AeroJammin
Honestly, I would not pay 11k for that car....and that's from a guy who basically paid $12k for a very similar car. My reasoning is simple, I paid $12k for a red 2006 JCW with many of the same options, but my car had the factory aerokit, english leather interior, all the JCW carbon fiber exterior pieces, red dash, and HK stereo. So to sum it up, I agree with Noozio that this car tops out around $9k in my value book.

That being said, for the right person I could totally see this car changing hands for 11k.
Spot on assessment. $11k would be a steal for an incredibly rare set of options paired with a picky buyer. Theres something about English leather and an Aero kit that sets off the chrono package.

Lets see some pics of the one you bought!! Sorry if you posted them already, I'll check. How much did you pay?

Last edited by burley; 01-24-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:15 PM
AeroJammin
5th Gear
Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Spot on assessment. $11k would be a steal for an incredibly rare set of options paired with a picky buyer. Theres something about English leather and an Aero kit that sets off the chrono package.

Lets see some pics of the one you bought!! Sorry if you posted them already, I'll check. How much did you pay?

Here's my "New to me" thread with some pictures. I really need to install the parts I have on the shelf and update the pics. Price was $11750; purchased from the NAM marketplace.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...6-jcw-r53.html

Old 06-01-2018, 09:34 AM
BTRMayfair
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a

Last edited by BTRMayfair; 06-01-2018 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Wrong Thread