JCW Best tune for JCW

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 07:09 AM
subzero05
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Ok I get it now, you'll have to excuse me my mom dropped me on me head when I was a baby. So you get about the same thing you can get for about $500 but you pay $900 because there's a warranty you hope you never have to try to use. Makes perfect sense now. Thanks for clearing that up.

haha, yep that's the essence of it . if you buy the Dinan product (elite version) you are buying a sort of "insurance" policy as well should anything happen to your vehicle that is deemed by mini to have been caused by Dinan's products it would be covered under their warranty which covers parts AND labor to the dealer. it covers a new car purchase for 4yr/50k miles, basically matching that of the new car warranty.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:41 PM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
by following this thread "Best tune for JCW"

it sounds like a meeting of insurance consultants, the best tune for the JCW is a ECU tune using BMW`s direct code. Not many have access to this .

If something goes wrong there is still the chance the factory settings can avoid major damage.

So the best JCW tune is from the best BMW-connected tuner.

I wonder who of the thread participant`s ever had a blow up his F56, not talking dealers, which participate here as well, it becomes very costly, and don't think that boxes can't be found, especially when you look at a 10.000 bills.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:01 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Clutch Wotan

it sounds like a meeting of insurance consultants, the best tune for the JCW is a ECU tune using BMW`s direct code. Not many have access to this .

If something goes wrong there is still the chance the factory settings can avoid major damage.

So the best JCW tune is from the best BMW-connected tuner.

I wonder who of the thread participant`s ever had a blow up his F56, not talking dealers, which participate here as well, it becomes very costly, and don't think that boxes can't be found, especially when you look at a 10.000 bills.
It is somewhat amusing

Old 11-22-2017, 07:18 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts

it sounds like a meeting of insurance consultants,.
Yup.

More of a case of "everyone wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die."
Life is not without risk, and you gotta pay to play.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:04 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 2017All4
Yup.

More of a case of "everyone wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die."
Life is not without risk, and you gotta pay to play.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:46 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
That's true, it wasn't "Best tune using a removable boost device". From what I gather the ECU tune not only increases boost but changes fuel mixture and other stuff. I know mine changed the exhaust sounds too. Who does this for the F56 cars at this time? And how much is it? Just curious.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:01 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
That's true, it wasn't "Best tune using a removable boost device". From what I gather the ECU tune not only increases boost but changes fuel mixture and other stuff. I know mine changed the exhaust sounds too. Who does this for the F56 cars at this time? And how much is it? Just curious.
Bytetronik now has an ECU flash:
https://www.bytetronik.com/services/...es-ecu-tuning/

Dinan Elite and JB both work with fueling and many other parameters through their plug-in boxes.

Lots of ways to get there.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:06 PM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
The "add on boxes" are certainly a nice way to add power, i don't like the indirect response, but there is one good thing about them, you can sell them
physically at a later stage, or go for something else.

With boxes factory given top speed is untouched, which is uninteresting as really not much of the cars reach the programmed top speed 248 in real, i have a 12 km delta, my brand-new JCW drives 230 in real, which is a hell of a speed in open public.

So if a tune closes that gap, you have a hell of a car, a bespoke ecu editing stay within the procedures, result : 280 Hp, you can do that with the JCW easily !

Old 07-14-2018, 06:29 AM
boubi
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Too bad Dinan doesn't offer the possibility to buy an Elite without the insurance.
I'm french, and if something goes wrong, I'm definitely too far to have any benefit of this guarantee !

Last edited by boubi; 07-14-2018 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:50 AM
one2three_us
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by boubi
Too bad Dinan doesn't offer the possibility to buy an Elite without the insurance.
I'm french, and if something goes wrong, I'm definitely too far to have any benefit of this guarantee !
I don't think the above statement is correct. I'm sure there is authorized dealer who will carry Dinan Elite in France who can install the box and verify if there is any damage caused by the box and not cover by manufacture warranty. This is the case in Asia ie Hong Kong and Taiwan unless French Dealers wanna do something different

Old 07-14-2018, 10:50 AM
boubi
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
No, I'm talking about a problem with the engine after the installation of the Elite module.
If something brakes.............
Because, it's that, the goal of the Dinan insurance, to cover any damage the box could cause to the engine, no ???
Mini won't do anything, as this kind of performances upgrade is strictly forbidden in France.

Last edited by boubi; 07-14-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:18 AM
Lionel Hutz
1st Gear
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Anybody know if the Dinan Elite warranty applies with a DIY install? There are surprisingly few authorized Dinan dealers around here, and ECS has a good price.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (07-23-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 01:28 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
When I read the warranty before I bought, I came away understanding that if you self install and it is done properly then they have to honor the warranty. Unless they have changed the wording since then you should be good to go. Pretty simple thing to install.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:46 PM
one2three_us
2nd Gear
You should be fine with the warranty since there are only 3 sensors to tap on to. Warranty is there to protect you if their tune cause engine failure and BMW blame it in the Tuner box. My Mini just for a software issue and the Dealer just make me take it off before they reflash my DME. They worry the tuner box may crash the system which will not cover under standard warranty

Old 07-28-2018, 01:22 PM
Lionel Hutz
1st Gear
Wound up going the DIY route with the Dinan Elite, but the first connection (boost pressure sensor) is vacuum locked in place. I'm able to hook up the other two sensors easily but cannot get the first sensor to even budge. Any advice? Looks like I may be taking it to a shop after all.

Old 07-28-2018, 01:28 PM
one2three_us
2nd Gear
There is a grey sliding licking tab. Slide it out gently with a flat head screwdriver then you can unplug the sensor

Old 07-28-2018, 01:29 PM
Lionel Hutz
1st Gear
Originally Posted by one2three_us
There is a grey sliding licking tab. Slide it out gently with a flat head screwdriver then you can unplug the sensor
Yeah, the tab is disengaged (and actually pulled all the way out of the connector at this point). It's still completely stuck.

Old 07-29-2018, 10:48 AM
Lionel Hutz
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Lionel Hutz
Yeah, the tab is disengaged (and actually pulled all the way out of the connector at this point). It's still completely stuck.
Ok, problem solved. Waited overnight for the pressure to equalize a bit and then slipped a very small plastic trim tool between the two parts of the connector to release the vacuum. Popped right off.

The rest of the Dinan unit went on very easily. I suspect the ECU is still adapting but there is already a ton of extra torque.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:07 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
After some time of preparing the car for the "flash" its done

300 HP / 460 NM meets 1060 Kg

You certainly can get more out of it, but its still very drivable, together with the stylish look, this is a wonderful car if you like FWD

Facebook Post

Old 08-01-2018, 06:10 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
Interesting thing at MTTS was that the Official MINI folks were pushing the Dinan brochures. Don't know if that means the dealers are going to jump on this or not.

We all want more power, but after almost 8,800 miles to, from, and during MTTS ... lack of power was not an issue. The real issue was putting power down on uneven/wet/mixed surfaces. On many occasions, passing became a bit scary as the traction control went nuts trying to compensate. More power would not help this Tried turning off traction control and the result was excessive wheel spin, so I really am starting to wonder if there is any advantage to boosting power without going to a real LSD.

All said; however, the car performed flawlessly, was a blast to drive and really worked well on the twisties (lots of them).