JCW manual vs automatic JCW

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 11:59 AM
hexproject
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
manual vs automatic JCW

so the new JCW is 8 speed, shifts pretty nice.

but wondering how good it will actually be.

Any feedback would be appreciated for those who opted for auto instead of stick...

Last edited by hexproject; 06-13-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:22 AM
ct21
2nd Gear
I don't have any direct experience with the 8-speed automatic, but MotoringFile recently posted their first update on their long-term JCW Clubman. They stated that it's the best auto ever in a MINI, but would still get the manual. That said, it really depends on your intentions and personal needs/desires.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:40 AM
hexproject
3rd Gear
If it's a clubman JCW. Maybe the auto. Same as the hardtop auto? 8 speed?
but hardtop JCW stick

Old 06-14-2017, 01:22 PM
toyopet
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hexproject
If it's a clubman JCW. Maybe the auto. Same as the hardtop auto? 8 speed?
but hardtop JCW stick
JCW hardtop auto is a 6 spd

Old 06-19-2017, 04:27 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
I opted for the auto and it's a very nice unit. My preference was the manual, but my wife can no longer drive a manual because of medical issues. It was a compromise, but I still love the car.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:59 PM
mgflyfish
1st Gear
Stickman 2016 JCW 2dr Hrdtop

Cannot speak to automatic-- but the manual is a blast--rev matching for downshift-
minor complaint that first is a bit short but i think that is the case these days with all trannys

Old 06-28-2017, 04:47 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
My last Vette had an auto with the tabs on the steering wheel. It was an older model so the shifting was not instantaneous when in "manual" mode. The new autos have changed that, but, as I come from the "pre-color" TV age, a sport car has a stick shift. At least until I can no longer use my left leg/foot for the clutch pedal.

I think it is like a dog or cat that licks their lips when you are giving them a treat. My mind at least associates the left foot on the peddle/right hand down on the shift handle with the joy of driving. I had a three speed on the wheel but that brings no lip licking joy to mind.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:14 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by r53coop
I think it is like a dog or cat that licks their lips when you are giving them a treat. My mind at least associates the left foot on the peddle/right hand down on the shift handle with the joy of driving. I had a three speed on the wheel but that brings no lip licking joy to mind.
I completely agree. The only time I considered an auto was when they were talking about me losing my left arm at the shoulder. I told the surgeon that I have two cars with 6 speed transmissions and would prefer not to start driving the Suburban full time. Long story short, after a few surgeries and a bunch of PT I can still hold the wheel while shifting. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:36 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
After a month of ownership, the auto has really begun to grow on me. First, it is very quick in Sports mode (my default) and it downshifts very aggressively. Second, manual mode is awesome ... very quick shifts up and down and lots of pops and burbles.

I still have my manual E39 M5 so I still can get my fix when I need it, but the MINI is so much fun to drive and much better in urban traffic.

I think I can say that I really am not disappointed in my choice to go with the auto ... it's a lot of fun.