JCW Chrome ... what's the issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 06:50 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
Chrome ... what's the issue?

I understand that chrome is not popular in the modern car culture; however, I'm not sure why there is so much emphasis on de-chroming on a retro design like MINI. I've had both classic and modern Minis/MINIs and find the minimal trim makes the cars stand out as quality vehicles.

My JCW is Rebel Green with white top and stripes, but with Chili Red mirrors and chrome rear hatch handle (both dealer added options). The classic Minis had minimal, but visible chrome which set them off from the competition. I have no intention of blacking out any chrome on the car ... it is very dark in the Rebel Green color with black wheels.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:54 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
I put the black surrounds on my JCW front and rear lights, and like the look. Other than that, I'm leaving the rest of the chrome as I think it all works well together.

Attached Thumbnails Chrome ... what's the issue?-front.jpg   Chrome ... what's the issue?-back.jpg   Chrome ... what's the issue?-closeup.jpg   Chrome ... what's the issue?-side.jpg  
Old 04-21-2017, 05:44 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
I agree about the surrounds...if I do anything that is something I will consider...especially on a black car! The two tone cup spokes look stellar on the Midnight Black Metallic JCW! ;-)

Old 04-21-2017, 06:01 AM
HasAnMTBProblem
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
For me, chrome is for steel. Muscle cars should get chrome. Truck bumpers should get chrome. Chrome plastic? Dunno, when you chrome plastic, it feels poser-y, cheap. Plus, I don't think chrome ADDs good looks to modern cars. It feels like manufacturers do it because it's cheaper to contract out big batches of chromed plastic, than to have them painted. But, that's just me.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:06 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
I like the chrome. My old R56 was a darker color so I color matched certain bits of it body color...like the light bezels. Just didn't fit well chrome. I think the accents like the handles, gas door, and scuttles are very nice left chrome.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:40 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
CHROME? I don't need no stinkin' CHROME!
IMO chrome belongs in the engine compartment. I blacked mine out because I could, and I wanted to. I don't hate chrome, but I wouldn't let my daughter date it either.

Attached Thumbnails Chrome ... what's the issue?-dragon-photo-10-2016.jpg  
Old 04-21-2017, 07:44 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I put black grill trim on my MINI, to make the grill look bigger. I left the chrome trim around the headlights, also to make them look bigger. I've retained all the other chrome, beltline, gas cap, door handles, because I like the chrome accent.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:27 AM
spaceage
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I murdered out one of my motorcycles a few years ago. I thought it looked pretty cool, but one thing I figured out is that painted parts don't wear or clean up nearly as well as chrome. I wouldn't do it again. Plus, all the factories are doing it now, and I figure it's going to be a dated looking trend in about a year.

On cars, trading chrome trim for black strikes me as sort of a JDM thing, though I can't really explain why. I think the chrome accents on the Mini are perfect. But to each his own.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:04 PM
TheGeekGuy
4th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
It's about personal choice. You are OK with chrome, some of us are not. For all the "choices" MINI give you, it would be nice to order your MINI blacked out if you wanted. I mean, they offer a chrome option.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:13 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor a lot of chrome. I do find that it adds a bit of presence when used in moderation. I think the exterior chrome line package is a bit overdone, but the boot/trunk handle by itself is a nice touch ... very similar to the rear handles on the Clubman.

Old 04-22-2017, 04:57 PM
mkt3000
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I like blackout Minis, but blackout cars are pretty common where I live, so I went with chrome.

Old 04-22-2017, 05:03 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
I agree with above, some parts do look much better blacked out some and for some embrace it totally ! Sometimes I think it may have to do with body color as well.

I had black roof, black wheel well trim, dark silver body, silver wheels and chrome parts...it was just too much and wanted to tone it down some to maybe two major colors....

Have a friend with unmolested R53 in pure silver/pure silver roof, and that it looks phenomenal with chrome....

Old 04-22-2017, 05:08 PM
mkt3000
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
I agree with above, some parts do look much better blacked out some and for some embrace it totally ! Sometimes I think it may have to do with body color as well.

I had black roof, black wheel well trim, dark silver body, silver wheels and chrome parts...it was just too much and wanted to tone it down some to maybe two major colors....

Have a friend with unmolested R53 in pure silver/pure silver roof, and that it looks phenomenal with chrome....
Exactly. My car already looks like it's dressed for Halloween every day of the year. Blacking it out would have made it worse. The chrome + red grill slat broke up that look

I added the chrome mirrors, rear tail lid, and brake ducts - that's it. I even took off the rear license plate frame because it was too much chrome then.

Old 04-22-2017, 05:21 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
I'm not a big fan of lots of chrome ... likewise I'm not a fan of blacking everything out. My personal feeling is that the F56 has a pretty good balance; however, the black boot/trunk handle does not match the rest of the trim. As a result, I added the chrome boot/trunk handle on my Rebel Green JCW ... that's it. It really pops and recalls the classic Minis ... yes, they really did have chrome trim.

Old 04-24-2017, 04:37 AM
mdaz75
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-

You're definitely right, Pure Silver + chrome = great combo!

Old 04-24-2017, 05:15 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
That's a sharp Little Bastard !

Old 04-25-2017, 10:21 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Everything goes in cycles. I tend to think blacking out will look very dated in the future...until it becomes "retro."
My JCW is all red and I think the standard chrome accents pop on it. I did consider painting or wrapping the license plate cover in body color but a friend convinced me the black matched my roof rails and other trim. I'm very happy with the way it is.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:07 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
The blackout/carbon fiber thing got big when I had my 2007 MCS. The whole "Joey mod" for the headlights (which my current R58 actually has from the factory lol) and all. For the R53 it was the checkered flag thing. I like a certain amount of chrome and sorta wish I still had my silver flame spoke wheels from my R56.