JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Mods without Header

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 06:28 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Mods without Header

I just got done putting the car back together. Installed a Dominator Cam, some 450 injectors and a RMW Tune. Some hiccups with some CELs but they will get worked out. Thought about a header but decided to stay with the stock exhaust manifold and the JCW twin muffler system. Glad I did as I have plenty of power, about 205 WHP vs the stock 180. The cam adds a nice rumble to the stock exhaust as well.

My smile just got bigger.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:58 PM
t4r6n
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did u do the install of the cam and injectors? If so, was it difficult? I'm thinking of doing an RMW upgrade.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:23 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
I do most of my own "wrenching" and this job was not that bad. ModMini has a very good video on changing a head gasket so he shows the cam and fuel injectors removal and replacement. There is also a good PDF made by somebody else that I have. The biggest PIA was the chain tensioner bolt. After fiddling around with a 1/2" drive I finally took my 3/8" socket wrench and put a pipe over the handle to break loose. ModMini has a good vid of this portion.

If you do, be sure to note the orientation of the lifter carriers as they are flat on top where the bolts go. The lifters will swing all around and the intake carrier has some plastic '"C" shaped spacers that line up with the plug extensions.

I did not have the special Mini Cam Tool. I jacked the car up, put blocks under the wheels, lowered and took the jack back out. This way the engine was up high enough so I could jack it up to remove the engine mount and with wheels on solid footing, I could loosen/tighten the cam bolt with the car in 6th gear. Did all the work by myself.

I am a toothbrush nut (detailer) so I spent time cleaning things up. Also put the different bolts and parts in bags that were numbered. Remember that a stock coil has rubber o-rings on the bottom side, don't lose them in the engine compartment. Also remember to use loctite when you put the coil back on (don't over tighten and crack the valve cover). I did not remove the cam sprocket from the chain. I marked the sprocket/chain and held the unit up with a bungie cord (ModMini thank you).

A 1/4" drive socket set will also come in handy with extensions and an articulated adapter. Also be sure to have a deep 8mm socket.

Send me a PM if you have more questions.

Old 03-12-2017, 02:20 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 200 Likes on 147 Posts
A good header will gain you another 15+ hp.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:12 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
A good header will gain you another 15+ hp.

I was thinking at least 10 HP but if I wanted horsepower, I would not have sold my Corvette. I would rather listen to a good song on my radio then a loud exhaust system.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:34 PM
gobind
Neutral
I want to start doing more mods to my mini soon. I'm not sure if this is true but changing fuel injectors looks easier then changing the cam.
If I change the headers and fuel injectors then get a tune would I be looking at the same power levels as fuel injectors and a cam, or does the cam provide more horsepower.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:23 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Some tuner guys should chime in here. The cam is keeping the valves open longer so you are able to get more in and then more out. The header is also providing better flow but IMO you would need to change the CAT back as well. Parts wiz, the cam is allot cheaper then the header/exhaust route.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:48 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
If you are on a budget, cut open the header and remove the precat, you get a couple HP from that. You wont find much info on it on US forums, but if you search UK & EU forums you'll find more info

It does ad a bit of noise, but no where near as loud as my 4:1 race header that thing is stupid loud

Old 09-01-2017, 07:48 AM
RayH
1st Gear
I currently have the engine out of my car and noticed the inlets on the stock exhaust manifold are slightly smaller than the tubes welded up to it. It seems like there's some room there to open them up a bit if they're smaller than the outlets on the head.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:34 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
I was thinking the exhaust ports are smaller than the muffler ports per some past pictures, could be wrong. Regardless, with the engine out, I would try doing a little polishing of the exhaust ports and remove some the muffler flanges as well. It is not going to hurt. I know allot of Porsche ports have ceramic coating, but I would not think the Tritec would.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:44 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Changing injectors is definitely easier than changing a cam. Did mine in the driveway, probably by now some tutorials on youtube though. After a cam swap, would definitely benefit from custom tune but best once mods are done. Usually the cam is the last piece added in this power progression since other mods will not affect drivability after install. Even larger injectors will still pulse as stock until tune is done.

No mention of spark plugs / wires, coil pack ? 2 step colder plugs with this set up, MSD pack and wires, and gapping plugs larger from recommended .032 to; .050 + or - .005. That should put you in the ballpark of your plug gap with your mods without risking engine skip. I played with gaps along with various mods doing some research. Larger arc spark will create more efficient burn of fuel/air = more HP and Torque, definitely noticeable improvement. I have this set up now.

If you push this engine in current set up w/o larger injectors installed, you risk engine damage. Added fuel will be needed to cool things down.

I believe Modmini in the youtube tutorials had an RMW head set up....ran it for like a week and blew up his engine. If I was going to go this route, I'd give the stock head to Way as a core, and get one of his custom set up's already done. He has three packages. Use OEM head bolts and gaskets too, or risk gasket leaks....seen that happen many times in the past.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:48 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Originally Posted by r53coop
I just got done putting the car back together. Installed a Dominator Cam, some 450 injectors and a RMW Tune. Some hiccups with some CELs but they will get worked out. Thought about a header but decided to stay with the stock exhaust manifold and the JCW twin muffler system. Glad I did as I have plenty of power, about 205 WHP vs the stock 180. The cam adds a nice rumble to the stock exhaust as well.

My smile just got bigger.
Got see/hear this MINI someday.....

Old 09-02-2017, 05:51 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Originally Posted by mega72
If you are on a budget, cut open the header and remove the precat, you get a couple HP from that. You wont find much info on it on US forums, but if you search UK & EU forums you'll find more info

It does ad a bit of noise, but no where near as loud as my 4:1 race header that thing is stupid loud
What I found with this mod was bit more "snap-crackle" out of exhaust note when letting off throttle, but not much louder if running stock muffler/center JCW resonator.