JCW Lowering Springs vs Adjustable coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 09:35 PM
Sidewalker
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lowering Springs vs Adjustable coilovers

I am anticipating various opinions on this matter...so here's what I'm looking for...

I would like to improve the stance, narrow the gap in the wheel well and also improve handling. I am not into tracking the car, so I don't need it to be so enhanced as to make it track ready. I certainly don't feel the need to slam the car, just give it a more aggressive stance overall. I'm running factory 17s, and would one day like to put spacers on to give it more of a haunch. However, I am looking to replace the hankook tires since I don't feel like they're the best for our JCW application (open to suggestions on this as well).

Thoughts? Are coilovers worth the money? What benefit do they offer over springs? This question is more about the pros and cons of each...Would love to hear everyone's ideal setup for daily, spirited driving scenarios.

I'm sure there is a link that applies to this very topic, but I haven't found one that's addressed my specific inquiry. If I missed it, please share.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:38 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
It sounds like coilovers would be better for what you're trying to achieve. The springs will improve handling and drop your car a fixed amount. Coilovers should also improve handling and drop your car a variable amount. That should allow you to dial in the exact look/stance you prefer. You might also get some adjustability in dampening rates depending upon the coilovers. Now the question is, are decent coilovers available within your budget?

Old 08-17-2016, 03:15 PM
NellyRod
2nd Gear
JCW Pro coil overs or KW V1 (same with more height adjustment) are reasonably priced and will accomplish what you're looking for. I have the JCW Pro on my car at the lowest setting. Great handling and comfortable enough for daily driving, but I do prefer a stiffer ride, so might not be to everyone's personal taste.

Attached Thumbnails Lowering Springs vs Adjustable coilovers-jcw.jpg  
Old 08-17-2016, 04:04 PM
goin2drt
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is my $.02.

I have lowered just about every car I have ever owned. After exhaustive search I go with the springs that I feel are the best for me.

Enter the JCW. I did want to track it so coilovers were going to be the only choice for me. Now having done the coilovers I would never ever do springs again. Why you ask. First, foremost and the biggest reason, you can adjust the ride height EXACTLY like you want it. You get the perfect stance and do not have to settle for something that might be close but not perfect. Secondly, the ride is WAY better. You can go lower and not jeopardize the ride quality. I know zero about suspension just personal experience but at my ride height with springs the ride would be way worse comparing exact same ride heights with springs.

Good luck on your choice.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:50 AM
Sidewalker
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RB-MINI
It sounds like coilovers would be better for what you're trying to achieve. The springs will improve handling and drop your car a fixed amount. Coilovers should also improve handling and drop your car a variable amount. That should allow you to dial in the exact look/stance you prefer. You might also get some adjustability in dampening rates depending upon the coilovers. Now the question is, are decent coilovers available within your budget?
Budget is always a concern, and coilovers would just mean I'd have to wait a little longer for the mod.

Originally Posted by NellyRod
JCW Pro coil overs or KW V1 (same with more height adjustment) are reasonably priced and will accomplish what you're looking for. I have the JCW Pro on my car at the lowest setting. Great handling and comfortable enough for daily driving, but I do prefer a stiffer ride, so might not be to everyone's personal taste.
Great stance...clean and neat. Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Here is my $.02.

I have lowered just about every car I have ever owned. After exhaustive search I go with the springs that I feel are the best for me.

Enter the JCW. I did want to track it so coilovers were going to be the only choice for me. Now having done the coilovers I would never ever do springs again. Why you ask. First, foremost and the biggest reason, you can adjust the ride height EXACTLY like you want it. You get the perfect stance and do not have to settle for something that might be close but not perfect. Secondly, the ride is WAY better. You can go lower and not jeopardize the ride quality. I know zero about suspension just personal experience but at my ride height with springs the ride would be way worse comparing exact same ride heights with springs.

Good luck on your choice.
Once upon a time with an old Golf VR6, I had coilovers and liked the stance but the ride was a little rough for me. That said, the roads here in Austin aren't terrible so going a little stiffer doesn't scare me. Sounds like coilovers are the unanimous choice here...

Old 08-19-2016, 09:35 PM
MiniF55
3rd Gear

Went with KW variant 3. Bilstein Pss 10 is equivalent but more so for track. It's probably best to save and invest. You will only have to change it once and you will never doubt yourself. kw v1 is like JCW pro coilover, went with variant 3 for the adjustability of comfort and potentially tracking in the future. My ride height now is low but not all the way. I still can adjust accordingly if needed. With coils you also may consider quality, some are harder to adjust after it's been installed.

Last edited by -=gRaY rAvEn=-; 08-21-2016 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Adj Img sz
Old 08-20-2016, 11:37 PM
Sidewalker
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniF55

Went with KW variant 3. Bilstein Pss 10 is equivalent but more so for track. It's probably best to save and invest. You will only have to change it once and you will never doubt yourself. kw v1 is like JCW pro coilover, went with variant 3 for the adjustability of comfort and potentially tracking in the future. My ride height now is low but not all the way. I still can adjust accordingly if needed. With coils you also may consider quality, some are harder to adjust after it's been installed.
Glad you brought that up, I've actually been wondering about adjustability...how easy or difficult it is to adjust once they're installed? What's the process to adjust once the wheels are back on?