JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Requesting guidance on 04 JCW Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 06:57 PM
sabjcw
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Requesting guidance on 04 JCW Purchase

Hello....this is actually my first post here on the forums. I'm actually looking at a 2004 Electric Blue JCW with 91k on it, body in excellent condition, interior in good condition with just normal wear and tear, and mechanically the car seems to be decent.

I just had it PPI'd and it needs strut mounts, has a minor oil cooler leak-so new gaskets I presume, AC needs a recharge, and control arm bushings need replacing.

The car has almost every option you could get in 04, with Xenon's, Harman upgrade sound system, Nav, cold weather package, both sunroof and moonroof, and the 200bhp JCW upgrade, along with the full JCW aero kit as well. It's still sitting on stock suspension and wheels...new tires were just put on about 10k ago.

I've exhausted myself looking on the net trying to figure out what a fair price would be for this car. This would be my first Mini. I just sold my E46 M3, which was mint, and looking for a fun car to drive back and forth to work, and for some weekend play. Seller is asking 6400, but willing to negotiate, especially with repairs that need to be made.

Any advice you could offer a complete newbie on this would be very appreciated. I'm actually looking to make this happen very soon if we can come to an agreement. Seller seems like he's been very straightforward so far, however he is the 5th owner, and he's only had it for 18 months. He has LOTS of nice cars, including 4 E30 M3's, multiple air-cooled 911's,...so he's not hurting for toys!

Many thanks in advance!

Old 06-20-2015, 09:25 PM
Chuck617
2nd Gear
I'm not an expert but IMO I'd get an estimate on the repairs deduct that and start there, but from what I saw when looking that seems like a pretty good price. I guess it depends on where you are though. I'd be asking around 8k to $8500 hoping to sell for 7-7500 if I had it for sale here. There are R53 JCW's for sale here at most times with 90 110k for around 10 grand.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:57 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
I am a first gen JCW expert, and I have two: a dealer install and a factory install.

With a 2004, proving authenticity is the key. If they have the certificate, then you're laughing. Otherwise, it is possible to fake a JCW or create your own with the parts (but no certificate). You could slap the air box on and call it a JCW (and be correct in some respects). Seems like you know what you have as you listed it as a JCW 200 kit.

I will assume you have done your research and know it's authentic.

That price seems quite good, the JCW premium can add $2-4K to the price. When it was installed, it was a $6K option (for the engine kit).

Old 06-21-2015, 06:39 AM
sabjcw
2nd Gear
Thank you both for the replies.

The engine bay has both the JCW badge with serial number, the JCW badge on the inter cooler cover, the proper cat back Ti exhaust, but not the air box-it has an open air cone filter. Present owner says he has certif but needs to find it.

I'm hoping we can come to an agreement. This car is tons of fun to drive!