JCW How are the R60 JCWs doing so far?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 09:29 AM
Jwanck11
3rd Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Coming up on the 1st oil change. Love the car - so much fun to drive. I will be getting a tune and a sway bar and calling it good for now.

Attached Thumbnails How are the R60 JCWs doing so far?-20171027_182250_resized.jpg  
Old 03-11-2018, 09:33 AM
AWD_Rally

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Jwanck11
Coming up on the 1st oil change. Love the car - so much fun to drive. I will be getting a tune and a sway bar and calling it good for now.
That's an F60 (R60 thread). Super nice car though!

Old 06-11-2018, 08:51 AM
Oldyella66
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Recently had my first problem with the car. Appears to be the wastegate failing.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ine-power.html

Old 12-05-2019, 09:55 AM
leftoverture
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok...I know I'm replying to an older thread here...but I'm trying to learn before I buy. Am I reading correctly that a clutch replacement is prescribed at 60,000 miles? I'm looking at a 2013 Countryman All4 with 45k miles, so this would mean I'm looking at a clutch replacement less than a year after I buy it (I drive a lot!). Is that right?

Old 12-05-2019, 10:09 AM
SunBird
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Not a JCW but same is 2013 All4 S just purchased a few days ago.

Get the EasyCare warranty (stated care level) for at least a year. I just bought a 2013 S all4 with 63K miles. Super clean, very nice mini dealer reconditioned (Sam at Santa Monica Mini). Had all its oil changes and inspection 1 and 2. My flywheel was replaced around 50k miles (on the carfax). Your MINI key fob retains all the dealer service records for the car...have the key fob read. Have a mechanic look at your car or AAA pre-inspection service. Spectacular car.

Last edited by SunBird; 12-05-2019 at 10:36 AM. Reason: added details
Old 12-05-2019, 02:32 PM
leftoverture
Neutral
Is Easy Care something offered by Mini dealers? How much is it? The car I'm looking at is at a Toyota dealer. Having to resurface a flywheel or replace a clutch at 60k miles (or less) is horrible. My Miata had 148k and the original clutch was still going strong. Wth?

Old 12-05-2019, 03:45 PM
2014 MC
3rd Gear
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by leftoverture
Is Easy Care something offered by Mini dealers? How much is it? The car I'm looking at is at a Toyota dealer. Having to resurface a flywheel or replace a clutch at 60k miles (or less) is horrible. My Miata had 148k and the original clutch was still going strong. Wth?
If you don't like doing or paying for maintenance or fixing things (or having both odd/weird and major items fail premature) then I suggest to stay away from the MINI. Sorry everyone.

Old 12-05-2019, 03:59 PM
John Grabowski
Neutral
15 JCW R60 with 60K. Only issue was a water leak on the back seat. Dealer took care of it

Old 12-05-2019, 07:28 PM
Oldyella66
1st Gear
I agree with the things said before. This is my second mini. My first was an R56 and went 100,000 on the first clutch, which is much longer than Mini originally told me it would. My JCW R60 likely would have lasted longer but I was driving silly in some steep hilly country.

I will say that 60,000 or less is not unheard of in the early Countrymans. I would recommend taking the car to a local Mini dealer to see what has been done to the car in the past. There is a chance the clutch has already been replaced .

To reiterate above... These cars require quite a bit of maintenance to stay running well. Some of that is expensive. My R56 cost over 3,000 in maintenance / repairs last year. My R60 has only really needed oil, brakes, and the one clutch. I also drive very spirited, which means that I’m needing more maintenance on the car. I’ve gone through at least 8 sets of tires in the R60, and loved every minute of it.

if you are going to compare it to other car brands from a maintenance and reliability standpoint, you may have a bad time. Minis are great, fun, and I will buy another one for sure, but you need to know what you are buying. I didn’t buy mine because they were reliable.

Please make sure you are buying the car you expect to get.

I recommend the Mini!

Old 12-05-2019, 10:55 PM
SunBird
3rd Gear
2013 Countryman All4S How to pick?

Yes my MINI dealer recommended this https://easycare.com/ . You can just call the EasyCare people yourself and find out cost as the dealer did have some leeway to work with. VSCs tend to run between $1300-1800. I bought my car long distance and had it shipped. This is why I chose to go for "condition" from a MINI dealer vs a JCW from someplace else. Are you nearby the car? If you are nearby take the car to the MINI dealer for a pre-inspection and get the keyfob read. The MINI dealer was explaining that the used JCWs may need work because people drive spirited or more and it may not be kept up if it was dropped off at a NON-MINI dealership. How many sets of tires did it go through? Does the engine compartment plastic look a little "Dry". Oil changes every 3-5k miles. I am very impressed with the nice condition of the Countryman All4S I got. Some cosmetic dings here and there but mechanically is sound and I drive it hard! First week I had it I only got 17 miles to the gallon. . It's not a Miata. It is a BMW/MINI...a much more complex car.

Old 12-06-2019, 03:25 AM
leftoverture
Neutral
I looked at the Easy Care website. From what I read the coverage is comprehensive, but they do not cover replacement of the clutch itself. (Which didn't surprise me). To be honest....it kinda sounds like a Mini is not for me. I need fun and reliable.

Old 12-06-2019, 07:55 AM
SunBird
3rd Gear
I looked at the Easy Care website. From what I read the coverage is comprehensive, but they do not cover replacement of the clutch itself. (Which didn't surprise me). To be honest....it kinda sounds like a Mini is not for me. I need fun and reliable.
https://easycare.com/vehicle-service-contracts/ . The Stated Care:
  • All internal, lubricated parts
  • Flywheel
  • Transmission Mounts
  • Clutch Master Cylinder
  • Clutch Slave Cylinder
  • Transmission Case(2)
  • Oil Pan(2)
  • Transfer Case(2)

Old 12-06-2019, 09:16 AM
2014 MC
3rd Gear
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Probably why you were at a Toyota dealer in the first place and also why Toyota has a used Mini to sell. Someone decided they needed what you're looking for both fun and reliable.

Old 12-06-2019, 09:39 AM
leftoverture
Neutral
Originally Posted by SunBird
https://easycare.com/vehicle-service-contracts/ . The Stated Care:
  • All internal, lubricated parts
  • Flywheel
  • Transmission Mounts
  • Clutch Master Cylinder
  • Clutch Slave Cylinder
  • Transmission Case(2)
  • Oil Pan(2)
  • Transfer Case(2)
Take note that doesn't include the clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing, or pilot bushing. It's everything but items they usually call "wear" items.

Old 12-06-2019, 09:59 AM
leftoverture
Neutral
Originally Posted by 2014 MC
Probably why you were at a Toyota dealer in the first place and also why Toyota has a used Mini to sell. Someone decided they needed what you're looking for both fun and reliable.
The car is at a Toyota dealer...I wasn't. I saw it on line on Car Gurus. Planned to go test drive it tomorrow but have now changed my mind. I have no doubt I would love the car but reliability is a must. So is fun to drive (which rules out all Toyotas!). Hard to find an AWD car with a manual transmission these days. If Mazda made the CX-3 with a manual I would have already bought one. I've owned 2 Mazda 3s and the Miata and all were super fun and reliable. Seems more and more like I may have to give up either AWD or the manual. Neither option is all that appealing to me.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:07 AM
SunBird
3rd Gear
Yes... the dealer already changed out the flywheel on mine 10k miles ago before I purchased. I changed my clutch out on my e46 at 150k miles. Just do the scheduled maintenance on these cars like the BMW and they are reliable. Wait till things break and more can break with it. If you are looking for a car that you can drive into the ground before fixing being left by the side of road (all cars have their limits on various parts). If the car is nice you might want to take it to get a pre-purchase inspection to your local mechanic and learn about the car before deciding against it. If there is something that needs work but is doable without too much stress then give the dealer an offer minus the work.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:25 AM
SunBird
3rd Gear
The car is at a Toyota dealer...I wasn't. I saw it on line on Car Gurus. Planned to go test drive it tomorrow but have now changed my mind. I have no doubt I would love the car but reliability is a must. So is fun to drive (which rules out all Toyotas!). Hard to find an AWD car with a manual transmission these days. If Mazda made the CX-3 with a manual I would have already bought one. I've owned 2 Mazda 3s and the Miata and all were super fun and reliable. Seems more and more like I may have to give up either AWD or the manual. Neither option is all that appealing to me.
Not finding a JCW/6speed at at Toyota dealer with 45k on it on cargurus.
Would ask for carfax and then verify it.

Old 03-01-2020, 01:48 PM
Mixel84
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 R60 jcw auto
21k miles, I bough it six month ago, some little mods like:
bmc filter
Gfb dv+
chromiumtech strut brace
RaceChip S at the beginning, now custom remap
Homemade Carbon and Kevlar airbox
Anything to keep intake temperature as low as possible

I'm in love with it,a lot of torque and power at low and medium revvs.
now i'm running on 17" rims winter tyres, perfect the all4 in the snow! soon I go back on the 19" for the good season.
The engine bay looks so pretty,i'm so proud about the my creature

Old 03-03-2020, 10:53 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Thats cool never seen a homemade one for the N18 engine.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-06-2021, 08:48 PM
Lindsay Carter
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Old thread I thought I'd revive. My '13 is doing great at around 70k. Clutch is finally going and my water pump is loose, however none of the standard issues you hear about all the time!
Mods: Scorpion catback with resonator delete, M7 silicone turbo inlet with pcv delete, M7 occ, NM rear sway bar with zerk fitted bushings, and Alta recirc spring. Might be an outlier, but I have ZERO buyer beware to report. Cheers!

The following 2 users liked this post by Lindsay Carter:
Mini-Titan (01-07-2021), rdmtncyclist (02-24-2021)