JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Annual Service

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 07:13 AM
Bab86
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW Annual Service

So my JCW Competition Edition has just over 92000kms, I purchased it from a small dealer in Oct 2012 with 79000kms and have had my oil changed twice since then. The service history is probably incomplete and it seems to have also sat around for up to a year going by the documentation I have.

My question is what type of service schedule am I supposed to follow? I would like to have it looked over for an "annual service" and what I want to know is what that should consist of? I have a local shop that I brought it to and they seem to know their stuff so I just want to be sure to ask the right questions, have them look at things that could be problems down the line.

Other than seized horns and a recent coolant leak (which I will have repaired) it hasn't put a foot wrong since I got it.

Thanks for the input!

Old 11-15-2013, 07:28 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
There is no true "yearly" service...
Service is done on a mile/useage basis, with the exception of brake fluid flushes and radiator fluid changes....
The standard mini gen1 service ( most oil changes more often) is
Drive 15,000 miles...do an oil change...
Drive another 15,000, then do inspection 1 (with an oil change)
Drive another 15,000 , oil change...
Drive another 15,000, inspection 2 ( with an oil change)
Repeat....
So to sum it up...
Do an inspection every 30,000 miles, alternate 1 and 2
Then do brake and radiator fluid changes/flushes every 24 and 36 months FROM DATE OF PRODUCTION......
Mini also (at one point) oil changes should be a max of 1 year...
And JCW plugs are changed at EACH INSPECTION...much more frequently then the s.
From a ease of tracking standpoint, I find 5000 or 7500 miles is imo a good oil change interval....some like longer/shorter, but in any length...check you level...some cars can burn/leak a bit.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:41 PM
ccccPUNISHER
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zippy i completely agree with everything you said, so that brings me to a part that no one ever talks about and thats the fuel filter behind the driver seat...Mini says dont change it...i purchased the parts to change it and was told changing it can cause the sensor to fail...just wondering if you or anyone else has ever heard of this?

Old 11-17-2013, 10:03 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by ccccPUNISHER
Zippy i completely agree with everything you said, so that brings me to a part that no one ever talks about and thats the fuel filter behind the driver seat...Mini says dont change it...i purchased the parts to change it and was told changing it can cause the sensor to fail...just wondering if you or anyone else has ever heard of this?
Never heard of that...some folks a filter change around 100,000 miles or so as preventative maintenance.... Early 2002 cars cannot have the filter changed (on the cooper I think...the filter I'd built into the pump unit)....
It seems that there 5 stories about a person having a filter change error, leak, etc for every story of changing one fixing an issue...so maybe they are done more often than needed...but like any repair/mantiance procedure... If done wrong...anything can happen.