JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

new 2013 JCW Clubman and i want to lower the car

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 10:15 AM
gyager22
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new 2013 JCW Clubman and i want to lower the car

i must say that i am a newbie to the world of modifications to Mini's and i sure am learning a lot.

i recently purchased a 2013 JCW clubman, BRG. it is a fantastic, i enjoy it very much. however i want to lower the center of gravity and improve the suspension. I have several questions that i hope that you can answer for me.

I checked on putting on the JCW suspension but the dealer in So Cal said it was $5000 usd. i said no way, too expensive and i am not sure what i can do and not invalidate my warranty....while i am new at this i would like to stiffen up the suspension a bit and perhaps lower it as well....should i just keep the suspension as it is and just buy lower springs to lower the profile and buy new anti sway bars for the front and rear? also install a JCW upper stress bar? Like i said, this is all news to me, so any advice you might offer would be a great assistance to me....

Old 07-17-2013, 01:34 PM
MiniWii
2nd Gear
Hey, I'm new to Mini's as well but been in the car scene for quite some time. Do you plan to track the car? Or are you just looking to aesthetic's? If you are doing lower springs will be just fine unless you want to completely "dump" your car. A shop will usually charge you around 300-400 dollars to install springs. If you want to track the car and/or go lower than what springs will do for you then coil overs.

The grey area with modifying your car anytime is the warranty. Okay, you can mod your suspension and it wouldn't void your power-train warranty. You're also obligated to proof that your modification caused the damage you are trying to warranty. Modifying your suspension on your car is actually a relativity safe modification. 5k for a suspesion system? are they nuts?

You can get yourself a nice set of KW coilovers for 2,400. You could install it yourself to or pay someone 300 dollars which is far cheaper than 5k from the stealership.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:22 PM
gyager22
Neutral
Thank you for this. Currently I am not planning on tracking the car it is mor an aesthetic choice. I do live in china and only get to drive the mini on occasion. However that being said once i return to the us I will consider tracking the car. So I think your advice to lower through springs is a good suggestion. Then later go to the coilovers. Thanks for the suggestions

Old 07-19-2013, 07:27 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by gyager22
Thank you for this. Currently I am not planning on tracking the car it is mor an aesthetic choice. I do live in china and only get to drive the mini on occasion. However that being said once i return to the us I will consider tracking the car. So I think your advice to lower through springs is a good suggestion. Then later go to the coilovers. Thanks for the suggestions
Springs are a good start. Just keep in mind that any lowering springs will decrease the life of your factory shocks. They'll still last quite a while but not as long as if you kept the stock springs.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:33 AM
ATCQL
5th Gear
I had a 2008 Clubman and lowered it using TSW Springs that i purchased from Way Motors in Atlanta.The springs lowered the car 3/4" in the rear and 1" in the front,looked great and the ride was just right. Q

Old 07-22-2013, 06:00 AM
gyager22
Neutral
great thank you so much for your suggestions i will look at it when i am back in California....only two weeks to go,