JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW jcw gp 2 diffuser

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 11:15 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MattSaint
Howdy Folks,
Looks like the under-body paneling is in short supply in the US. Any thoughts around installing the diffuser without it?
I'm still running it without the side panels. No issues.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:31 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
When you get the underbody panels, you might as well look into getting the front engine shield too. I'm 2 weeks out for mine to complete the underbody aero.
Good point, if you've got the sides and rear diffuser, go full aero and install the front as well. I picked mine up from ECS Tuning.
Name:  _DSC4203_zpsedcbaa83.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  4.16 MB

Name:  _DSC4195_zpsf5193a7f.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  5.45 MB

-Steven

Old 06-28-2013, 11:35 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Very nice. I'm excited to get this piece. I have a fumoto valve installed and this would ensure it never tears off from underneath. Everyone was saying "don't do it" on some other thread, but with this....hell yeah it's gonna stay on! Oil changes made easy!

Old 06-28-2013, 11:39 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Very nice. I'm excited to get this piece. I have a fumoto valve installed and this would ensure it never tears off from underneath. Everyone was saying "don't do it" on some other thread, but with this....hell yeah it's gonna stay on! Oil changes made easy!
It's a well made piece. What I was most exited about was the engineering Mini put into it. I remember reading about the development of it for the GP2 and the engineers stating it draws a lot of hot air off the engine bay at speed, as well as the obvious aero.

-Steven

Old 06-28-2013, 11:48 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BlueToy
It's a well made piece. What I was most exited about was the engineering Mini put into it. I remember reading about the development of it for the GP2 and the engineers stating it draws a lot of hot air off the engine bay at speed, as well as the obvious aero.

-Steven
Yes definitely. I read about that too and there was no doubt I wasn't going to pass up on this piece. I could get the GP2 wing as well, but it's nonadjustable compared to some offers out there. I'll order the real Challenge Wing later this year.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:51 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Yes definitely. I read about that too and there was no doubt I wasn't going to pass up on this piece. I could get the GP2 wing as well, but it's nonadjustable compared to some offers out there. I'll order the real Challenge Wing later this year.
Nice...keep us posted on your progress

-Steven

Old 06-28-2013, 05:16 PM
MattSaint
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got my car back from the dealership. Aero kit is on, as well as the black ' challenge' type stripes. The diffuser from ECS Tuning was delivered today. Just need to figure out how the brackets attach to the car as I didn't see any nuts in the kit? The under panel pieces are currently in short supply in the US. I am on the waiting list for the engine bay pan. I also ordered the license relocation kit so I did't need to drill holes in the front bumper. Very excited about the whole thing.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:26 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MattSaint
I just got my car back from the dealership. Aero kit is on, as well as the black ' challenge' type stripes. The diffuser from ECS Tuning was delivered today. Just need to figure out how the brackets attach to the car as I didn't see any nuts in the kit? The under panel pieces are currently in short supply in the US. I am on the waiting list for the engine bay pan. I also ordered the license relocation kit so I did't need to drill holes in the front bumper. Very excited about the whole thing.
Brackets attach to the hangers that hold up the muffler. Take one side off, slide bracket into place, and screw the nut back in. Repeat on the other side. Really easy.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:28 PM
MattSaint
3rd Gear

Brackets attach to the hangers that hold up the muffler. Take one side off, slide bracket into place, and screw the nut back in. Repeat on the other side. Really easy.
Excellent. I'll be doing this first thing in the AM!

Cheers!!!

Old 06-29-2013, 12:31 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperGreg
Love it!! Where did you get that back up light on the drivers side?
Originally Posted by SuperGreg
Thank you!! So how does it work? Does the back up light work on that side just like the right side?
We've been selling them before the GP came out as this was one of the things I did the day I picked the car up.
The Driver side Reverse light can be activated a couple ways. I added the rear fog light option so I can turn it on with the rear fog light switch. But the other way is to run a wire over to the other reverse light to make them come on together. You will need a diode in the wiring if you want to use the fog light switch too.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 06-29-2013, 01:12 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks

We've been selling them before the GP came out as this was one of the things I did the day I picked the car up.
The Driver side Reverse light can be activated a couple ways. I added the rear fog light option so I can turn it on with the rear fog light switch. But the other way is to run a wire over to the other reverse light to make them come on together. You will need a diode in the wiring if you want to use the fog light switch too.
Hmmm...

Old 06-29-2013, 01:35 PM
MattSaint
3rd Gear
Well, I installed the diffuser and as everyone said, it was relatively easy. The one thing I discovered was that my bumper only had 1 bracket like the regular Cooper. There are no signs that one was ever welded to it. Anyone else have this for a Cooper S? Doesn't seem like it would be an issue, still...

Old 07-01-2013, 05:26 PM
joyride305
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey guys,

Got the diffuser installed a few weeks ago and just got around to washing the car and taking some pictures. Adam at thebmwpartstore.com was really helpful and customer service was great. I highly recommend them!

Let me know what you guys think

Old 07-10-2013, 08:32 AM
Chor
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueToy
Good point, if you've got the sides and rear diffuser, go full aero and install the front as well. I picked mine up from ECS Tuning.

-Steven

Dying to get my hands on this, but ECSTuning is out and they are on back order.
I have the GP Diffuser on already, when the Aero comes in I will probable install the NM short shifter at the same time.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:43 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Chor
Dying to get my hands on this, but ECSTuning is out and they are on back order.
I have the GP Diffuser on already, when the Aero comes in I will probable install the NM short shifter at the same time.
If you're doing suspension work too, you might as well get that done before the panels and such also. I learned that the hard way when I had to install my control arms. The GP2 diffuser AND the body panels gets in the way. Removing the rear section of the diffuser and the body panels allowed me enough access to install my control arms. What a pain in the *** having to do all that....

I have the engine shield on order from my friend's shop and they're on backorder too. I was told 3 weeks, but I think it's been over that though. I'm not too worried about that though since it wasn't an expensive piece and the wait is worth it in the end. Hope to get it before I leave from my next project though.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:02 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by joyride305
Damn love that green!!!

+1

Old 07-31-2013, 05:05 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
underbody aerodynamics shields

Originally Posted by kfmuller
The bottom piece on the JCW aero bumper was a tiny bit difficult to get off because I didn't have an 8 mm socket, and there are three 8 mm screws holding it on. The one by the tailpipe is easy, the other two are at each end and require a tiny 1/4 inch ratchet to get them off - tight space. I took out the rear vent pieces (where the fogs go) and it's easier to see and remove. You keep and reuse those screws. The brackets attach to two bolts that go into the chassis, which are currently holding the back end of the exhaust system. The tunnels screw into the new diffuser and onto the brackets. I only needed to buy 6 screws with big washers from the MINI parts desk to be used when I screwed the tunnels onto the brackets. All of the other screws are there, except for those six screws. They all screw into the self-tapping metal clamps that come with the parts. I've got a June 2008 build - 2009 JCW, and except for the screws I bought, everything else just snaps and screws in. I noticed that I don't have the underbody aerodynamics shields, but I'm looking into getting those too. There's a link to a Total MINI thread on the first page that tells you all you need to know. Really simple install

did you get the underbody aerodynamics shields?

Old 07-31-2013, 07:10 PM
jkapinos
5th Gear
If you're doing suspension work too, you might as well get that done before the panels and such also. I learned that the hard way when I had to install my control arms. The GP2 diffuser AND the body panels gets in the way. Removing the rear section of the diffuser and the body panels allowed me enough access to install my control arms. What a pain in the *** having to do all that....

I have the engine shield on order from my friend's shop and they're on backorder too. I was told 3 weeks, but I think it's been over that though. I'm not too worried about that though since it wasn't an expensive piece and the wait is worth it in the end. Hope to get it before I leave from my next project though.
I've been doing a lot of suspension work on my roadster. I also have all of the under panels installed. The rear diffuser has been off three or four times, the rear exhaust a few times. Yes you need to take off the rear exhaust section to install a RSB on a Roadster because of a fifth bolt on the rear subframe. Also the side panels come off real quick and the front under belly pan comes off in seconds (quick release screws). You need to remove for oil changes. The biggest pain in the butt is still to jack the car up on stands to get to all of this.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:33 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jkapinos
I've been doing a lot of suspension work on my roadster. I also have all of the under panels installed. The rear diffuser has been off three or four times, the rear exhaust a few times. Yes you need to take off the rear exhaust section to install a RSB on a Roadster because of a fifth bolt on the rear subframe. Also the side panels come off real quick and the front under belly pan comes off in seconds (quick release screws). You need to remove for oil changes. The biggest pain in the butt is still to jack the car up on stands to get to all of this.
Yes, definitely. It isn't so hard if you could get it up in the air on a lift and it'd make taking off the panels a breeze, but I hate getting under there and removing the panels.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:33 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Without going thru the entire thread, has anyone had their GP2 diffuser painted ? Or would it take too much of a beating and look scroungy after a period of time ?

Thinking a GP diffuser painted Chili Red would look pretty bad ***....

Name:  DSCF0076_zps02889a0f.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  62.3 KB

Old 08-02-2013, 02:45 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Thought about painting mine midnight black but too much of a hassle. It's the only matte on the car but eh, doesn't bug me too much. If you did paint it, could be a bit too much.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:46 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
A bit too much as in, would stand out to much as opposed to being subtle ?

Old 08-02-2013, 03:13 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Well to me it'll stand out a bit a a sore eye but each his own you know. It might even look better than how I see it in my head. I personally wouldn't want to spend the money to paint that. Bigger fish to fry

Old 08-02-2013, 03:19 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
You might be right. Of course, my MINIs are usually anything but subtle.

Will sleep on it for a bit.

Appreciate the input!

Old 08-02-2013, 03:49 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
You might be right. Of course, my MINIs are usually anything but subtle.

Will sleep on it for a bit.

Appreciate the input!
Too much CR

Quick Reply: JCW jcw gp 2 diffuser