JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Louder turbo spool sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 11:59 AM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Louder turbo spool sound

I have searched and found discussion of this but not sure I have found all the information I am looking for. How can I get the Turbo spool sound to be louder? Is the hot side tube with the plastic muffler the part that should be replaced with a straight through pipe to increase the sound?

Some times I read it referred to a "muffler" and some times its referred to as a "noise maker" so I am not sure what its function is.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:03 PM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by k_h_d
I have searched and found discussion of this but not sure I have found all the information I am looking for. How can I get the Turbo spool sound to be louder?

Is the hot side tube with the plastic muffler the part that should be replaced with a straight through pipe to increase the sound?

Some times I read it referred to a "muffler" and some times its referred to as a "noise maker" so I am not sure what its function is.
To hear a louder turbo and blowoff you need a spacer for your blowoff (BPV is the acronym I think as we don't vent to atmosphere on our cars). The blowoff will be more noticeable... borderline rice but I do like it. Spooling noise can be achieve from a freer flowing intake, like any aftermarket CAI.

The noise muffler you speak of is on the hit boost tube side but it doesn't keep the noise down too much, I have swapped the hose out and I think it made a difference, nothing too huge if it did. If you just straight-pipe the muffler portion it will flow air a bit easier, but nothing huge in the noise department.

The muffle and noise-maker are different items. As you read these threads you will see a few that have screen captures of the exploded parts and you can see they are on opposite sides of the engine.

The noise-maker is a small part of the air intake system that has a smaller line tee-ed off to a baffle of sorts that is hooked to the cab, near where you see that odd red sticker behind the engine, on the firewall. It can be removed and supposedly increase boost pressure by almost 0.5psi but it makes the noise in the cab slightly less. The purpose it to enhance the driving experience with additional noise in the cabin. I am not sold on the fact that it makes a ton of noise or prevents a tons of boost in the system.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:48 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
A drop in K&N will give you that sound along with the blow off sound. If you want a louder spool sound you would have to do a CAI.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:20 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
I have read that the JCW intake makes as much if not the most power over aftermarket parts. Can anybody verify if this is true or false? If its true then even though I want more spool sound it may not make sense to switch to an aftermarket.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:30 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't think you have the series one R56 JCW intake(the good one) as it came on the JCW R56's that were not factory built, 07-08's
I have one of those and it is quiet and makes good power as much as the loud DOS

I have read that the JCW intake makes as much if not the most power over aftermarket parts. Can anybody verify if this is true or false? If its true then even though I want more spool sound it may not make sense to switch to an aftermarket.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Spice Orange JCW
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JPMM
I don't think you have the series one R56 JCW intake(the good one) as it came on the JCW R56's that were not factory built, 07-08's
I have one of those and it is quiet and makes good power as much as the loud DOS
I would like to add that it also will not fit your 2012 JCW. They changed the lower part of the air box in 2011 and it wil not fit the JCW box. You can use it if you also buy the lower air box from an 07 to 10. These intake boxes were sold with the add on JCW kit for 2007 to 2010. If you bought the add on JCW package for a 2011 or 2012 you would have just got a different flat panel filter.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:46 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
If your going for sound an open intake like the NM or DDM will make it louder.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 07-02-2012, 04:00 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Way, any experience to the power gain and/or loss that might be had when switching for a Factor JCW intake to a DDM intake?

Are there any tricks or modifications that will make the turbo audible in the cabin with the windows rolled up?

Old 07-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Gitmoe
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Way, any experience to the power gain and/or loss that might be had when switching for a Factor JCW intake to a DDM intake?

Are there any tricks or modifications that will make the turbo audible in the cabin with the windows rolled up?
I run an NM intake and boost tube along with the Forge BOV sandwich plate. I can hear the turbo sucking air pretty loud and of course the BOV makes the swoosh sound loud as well. I can easily hear the turbo with the windows up.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:42 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Anybody have any comment on the NM style intake which seems to draw hot air vs the Defender of speed intake which takes air from the back of the engine compartment? I had a DDM intake on my R53which was the exact concept as the DoS and that seemed to make a lot of sense.