JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Wishful thinking, what JCW could have been...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 12:12 PM
ZAMIRZ
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The more I see the "should I get JCW, is it worth it?" threads, the more I think about the time when I was going through the same dilemma. For me, it just didn't end up making sense paying $5,000 for 40 more bhp, when the same can be achieved by aftermarket parts for much less. I started thinking a few days ago about what would have made me buy the JCW package and this is pretty much what I came up with:

For $5,000 this is what I think the JCW should be from the factory:

1. The engine upgrades, although I wouldn't mind if they didn't yield as much hp, just a 25hp boost would've been sufficient. An added bonus would be oil coolers for the engine and tranny.

2. Suspension upgrades. It would've been nice to see uprated shocks/springs that lower the car slightly (somewhere around H-sport, not dumped like Eibach and H&R) and give more neutral handling by dialing out some of the understeer. A front strut tower bar with the JCW logo would've been a nice touch.

3. Brakes. Thicker rotors with better heat dissipation and more aggressive pads would've been nice, special calipers with the JCW logo on them would be icing on the cake.

4. Wheels/tires. Stock S-lite wheels would be cool with performance non runflat tires. An added feature that may have been nice would be to be able to specify the wheels paint-matched to the car. Center caps with JCW logo instead of MINI would be cool as well.

5. Interior. JCW logo stitched into the headrests and JCW logo in the steering wheel and shift **** along with floormats and maybe a darker silver used on the tach and speedo to set it apart from run-of-the-mill Ss.

6. Exterior. Apart from the badges which are standard the aerokit grille pieces and a lower grille like the M7 piece that allows more air to the rad. would be cool. Maybe a JCW-specific spoiler and headlight rings and window sill trim in black to top it off.

7. JCW package installed at the factory instead of at the dealer. This would not only insure that there are no discrepancies between dealers and cars, but it would also be nice if JCW cars were given their own JCW-specific VIN and certificate of authenticity.

8. Option delete. I would like to see on all the MINI lineup option deletes like the rear wiper, radio/speakers, back seat, emblems, clock, stuff like that.

that is all, I"m off to the L.A. auto show :smile:

Old 01-05-2004, 03:28 PM
Moorlockx
6th Gear
I'd trade items 4 through 8 for an LSD to help handle the extra power.

Old 01-05-2004, 03:35 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
7. JCW package installed at the factory instead of at the dealer. This would not only insure that there are no discrepancies between dealers and cars, but it would also be nice if JCW cars were given their own JCW-specific VIN and certificate of authenticity.
I'd love option 7 b/c it could save $1000 for installation and I'd much rather it came from the factory than a MINI dealer had to try to install it. I don't trust any MINI service department doing that kind of serious work on my MINI.

Old 01-05-2004, 03:41 PM
mcs22004
5th Gear
>>
>>I'd love option 7 b/c it could save $1000 for installation and I'd much rather it came from the factory than a MINI dealer had to try to install it. I don't trust any MINI service department doing that kind of serious work on my MINI.

Me too. One of the things that really turned me against getting the JCW was the thought of some punk who could be completely unaffected by a bullet through the head taking the head off of my engine. That's a recipe for disaster.

Old 01-05-2004, 03:46 PM
Xanthus
Coordinator :: South East - Florida
>>
>>Me too. One of the things that really turned me against getting the JCW was the thought of some punk who could be completely unaffected by a bullet through the head taking the head off of my engine. That's a recipe for disaster.

It's good to have a great service department in my area. I know the people, but it would save a bunch if it were factory installed. Frankly I'm not going to get it.

Any way, you can get MUCH better in the way of performance from other companies, you just have to sacrifice your warranty. That is why the JCW is tuned back from the performance edge, that stuff will not push your Mini to hard, thus you ought not to have any extra repairs needed in normal use.