JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Problem with JCW install

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 09:21 PM
andrew a
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with JCW install

I have followed NAM for a long time but have never posted anything. Well I guess I waited for my first big issue to get some feed back. I sent my 2 week old "S" back to the dealer to insatll the JCW tunning kit. Long story short. It took them 2 hours to install the parts and 4 hours to reset the programing and load the new software. The car is staying overnight and the service Manager is not to confident that it will work the first time.
WTF is going on! Anyone else have these issues?

P.S. I reminded him that the 3 hour labor quote was all I was paying for.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:44 PM
msh441
6th Gear
This is a "big" issue? Have you LOOKED at the faults and fixes board!?!

So it took a little longer plugged into the computer? Don't worry about it. Not an issue as long as you agreed on a price beforehand and everything works when you pick it up.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:37 PM
Chuck W.
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by andrew a
I I sent my 2 week old "S" back to the dealer to insatll the JCW tunning kit.
Bob Smith Mini??

Old 10-12-2007, 06:34 AM
marksmith
3rd Gear
software...

The Works sofware is vin specific & downloaded via the dealers computer system (even thought there is a JCW CD that comes w/ each kit.) Several dealers have funky systems & seem plagued w/ long down-load times & generally old & bad systems. You will not be charged for the slow download times. It's worth waiting!
PS. I know of one dealership that took 10 hours to reflash an R56 (up-grading) That crazy!

Old 10-12-2007, 06:46 AM
andrew a
Neutral
Thanks for the insight Mark. I'll check back in if things go sour.
Universal Mini

Old 10-12-2007, 07:34 AM
gkp
5th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I just had the JCW kit installed yesterday. Haven't even picked up the car yet (will do so tomorrow). The dealer told me ahead of time that just to be safe they wanted to keep the car overnight because the reflasing sometimes takes longer than anticipated and they like to give the car a thorough test drive and going-over afterward. Have you ever replaced the system software in a computer? MINIs are computers on wheels and reflashing the ECU is almost the same thing. Stuff happens. I say let them keep the car as long as they want and let them test drive it thoroughly. They gave me a loaner so I was covered. I'm sure your dealer will only charge the agreed-upon hours.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:32 AM
maximusGeek
3rd Gear
Mine was heald over night as well. They charged me for 4 hours. Same thing happened when I had the iPod interface installed. The tech told me it took 5 hours to update the ECU.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:51 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gkp
I just had the JCW kit installed yesterday. Haven't even picked up the car yet (will do so tomorrow). The dealer told me ahead of time that just to be safe they wanted to keep the car overnight because the reflasing sometimes takes longer than anticipated and they like to give the car a thorough test drive and going-over afterward. Have you ever replaced the system software in a computer? MINIs are computers on wheels and reflashing the ECU is almost the same thing. Stuff happens. I say let them keep the car as long as they want and let them test drive it thoroughly. They gave me a loaner so I was covered. I'm sure your dealer will only charge the agreed-upon hours.
Yes the ECU is a 4GB 32 BIT computer. Shame on Mini USA not to have the necessary high speed equipment for downloads. From what I hear some downloads are overnight (if they work), how primitive in this age of Hi Speed internet.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:01 PM
gkp
5th Gear
From what I understand, it's not just a question of speed. Sometimes it just doesn't work the first time and has to be done again. Plus, you want the person doing it to put the car through its paces to make sure there are no hiccups. It takes time. Do you want the technician to be rushed? The precision with which modern technolgy can control engine functions is absolutely remarkable. But the flip side of the magic is that the mechanics and electronics have to work perfectly or things fall apart fast.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:03 PM
colea
3rd Gear
I haven't gotten as far as some of the rest of you...

I've called my local dealer a number of time to leave messages inquiring about installing the JCW tuning kit, but the calls were never returned. Once, when I actually got through to a real person, I was told they had not, so far, ever done an actual installation of the new tuning kit. I asked if they would guarantee no more than 2 hours of installation time billed to me, given that they would be learning on my car, and was told they would check with the manager and get back to me. Which they never did.

Bottom line seems to be that my dealer, at least, is not prepared to handle this so far.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:07 PM
marksmith
3rd Gear
2 hours on the nose....

My trusted dealer Mortiz in DFW did the install as promised in 2 hours & said that was exactly how long it took. But they did offer to charge me more "if you really want us to".
-Other software updates were done at the same service visit & took 3 hours (no charge.)
Sorry to hear it has been less smooth for some of you.
PS. Check out this months Evo mag for a really nice Works review, "...fastest Mini we have ever driven on the track..." including the GP.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:06 AM
hurley
Neutral
Maybe I can help clear this up. The VIN specific JCW software installs in exactly one minute. However, the Progman system will not allow the software to be installed until every control module in the car is brought up to the current requested version. This can be as little as five minutes and as long as 4+ hours. This is dictated by a few things including:

-the options your car has (i.e. Nav,comfort access, etc.)
-the length of time between the build date of your car and the date of the programming. An older production date with the newest software updates usually take the longest.

When these installs take place, MINI covers the update programming under warranty to pay the dealer and technician and the programming for the specific item being installed is included in the quoted labor time.

cheers

Old 10-14-2007, 09:52 AM
marksmith
3rd Gear
thank you

Hurley, thank you for the clear description. My car was one of the early build dates & did require a long (4 hour) software upgrade. I was only charged for 2 hours of labor for the Works tuning kit install.
The "total' software up-grade explaines why my servo-electric steering boost was increased. Much less steering resistance post software updates.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:09 AM
emtrey
5th Gear
Mark--do you know what the build trime frames are for these software upgrades. My car was in last week but dealer told me MINI will not let them re-flash unless a light is on.

I am awaiting the kit for auto trans cars so I may be waiting for awhile. My car was built Mid April and delivered end of May.

PS...I did drive the JCW but it was a very low mileage car. It felt like the engine had been "released and happy" but it was hard to really gauge the difference. When I tried to re-produce the same mid range pulls with my 3500 mile car on the ride back home, the JCW felt much more willing. Could be a bit louder BUT this way my wife will never know the car was been tweaked.

Though it takes little to push me over the edge, your reviews sealed the deal for me. thanks.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:08 AM
gkp
5th Gear
Originally Posted by colea
I haven't gotten as far as some of the rest of you...

I've called my local dealer a number of time to leave messages inquiring about installing the JCW tuning kit, but the calls were never returned. Once, when I actually got through to a real person, I was told they had not, so far, ever done an actual installation of the new tuning kit. I asked if they would guarantee no more than 2 hours of installation time billed to me, given that they would be learning on my car, and was told they would check with the manager and get back to me. Which they never did.

Bottom line seems to be that my dealer, at least, is not prepared to handle this so far.
colea -- you're in Katonah? Me, too. Without mentioning names I'm guessing (from your description of their responsiveness) that your dealer is near I-287. I tried them, too. They didn't have much knowledge about the JCW kit or much interest in installing it. However, they did quote me three hours. I had it installed at Prestige in Mahwah, NJ. A great MINI dealership, but they charged four hours and kept it overnight (and gave me a loaner). Jon Collins is the guy to talk to there. I've read here on the forum that the least expensive place to have it done is in Morristown where it is around $2100 installed.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:35 PM
marksmith
3rd Gear
software...

I don't know the build dates & software upgrade bulletin dates either. It looks like cars made after before April are in need. May want to ask another dealers service advisor. I do know that the steering is much improved post-software reflash.