Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior DIY - Lock pull installation *INSTALLATION WARNING*

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 08:30 PM
laclede
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's get this right off the bat, this INSTALLATION thread is wrong.

I got the pulls from Moss a week ago for my '02 cooper and installed them tonight. Here's the details on a gorry installation.

First like everyone in the thread I thought, no problem, pull the stock ones off drop on the Moss pulls and you're done. Then I read the thread and thought, ok, cut the old one off and glue the new ones on and you're done. Then I did the installation.

I took the door panel off following the directions in the thread which were right on, and found the door pull exiting the door cavity through a rubber boot and extending up to the plastic pull. The plastic pull is not straight however, (I apologize for the lack of pictures, I didn't have my digital camera with me), it is a sort of S bent piece with the metal protruding out the bottom. Following the thread which said to cut this off, I took a tubing cutter and set it about a 1/4" below the top of the pull and ran that around expecting to hit metal, instead it cut right through, no metal. With this oh $h!t in place, I then tried to figure out what I had. The metal apparently stops short of the bend in the S in the plastic pull, the top being entirely plastic. :evil:

With that thought, I decided to go for the drastic but necessary... I donned my ironclad gloves and grabbed a utility knife. Don't do this if you are faint of heart with your MINI or don't have some serious protection for your hands. I shaved the pull down to the size of the inner hole of the pulls and down to the S bend in the plastic. Take your time and take little swipes, it being plastic a deep gouge or errant swipe may remove the entire pull and you are SOL. After about 15 minutes of widdling it down, the pull, with a little effort, dropped on easily.

Then came my next frustration. I put the door panel on and bolted it back in place and went to install the pull ring only to find that the hole was to small for the new pull. This time I went for the drill, a large bit, and a hole reamer. After a little frustration and some trimming, I got the hole large enough to install around the pull. I'll post some pictures of the install tomorrow when I have my camera. While it turned out good and looks great, MOSS should be ashamed to sell something which requires such bastardizing techniques to install and not furnish them or be aware of them. :evil:

This DIY mod get a 4 bastard star rating on the Bruno the Mini chart.

Old 04-28-2003, 09:13 PM
vespa
4th Gear
Wow. That's a lot of damage for a stinkin' little pull.

Old 04-28-2003, 09:14 PM
HARMINI
5th Gear
Wow! that's one big hassle just to have a little bit more shiny stuff in the interior. Thanks for the heads-up. This is one mod I definitely won't be tackling any time soon.

Good work with rigging it up. Please post pics so we can all admire your hard and ingenious work.

Old 04-29-2003, 12:21 PM
CTD-Germany
2nd Gear
Here is a sets that will fit without modifications

smooth design installed

Ralph
CTD-Germany

Old 05-01-2003, 10:52 AM
laclede
3rd Gear
No offense on that pic of the no mod installation, but I think these look a little better, here's the pics I promised :

Passenger Side Unlocked:

Passenger Side Locked:

Driver's side up close:

Old 05-01-2003, 11:15 AM
CTD-Germany
2nd Gear
Looks good. but what do you think about this one?

Old 05-02-2003, 05:37 AM
laclede
3rd Gear
are they slide overs or do you have to shave the originals? I think any slide over one on the MINI will just look to big and bulky.