Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior m7 Ultimate Grills and OEM Chrome Border???

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 05:11 AM
schulzmc
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
m7 Ultimate Grills and OEM Chrome Border???

Presently I have the aero kit grills on my dark silver MCSC and I even have and unpainted aero front bumper that was ready to go to the body shop to get painted. However, I changed my mind and decided to stick with the non-aero bumper. Instead, I've decided to remove the aero grills and I have a set of the m7 grills on the way.

So here's my question. The look I REALLY like is the grill on the 07 MCS - black mesh grill with chrome border. Has anyone ever tried to install the m7 grills with the chrome borders from their original grills on them? Those of you that have the m7 grills on your cars - having done the m7 install, do you even think it would be possible?

Thanks for the help,

Mark S

Old 11-25-2006, 07:54 AM
cooldaddy
5th Gear
I'm looking at this same option. I've done a search on NAM and I can only find one person who did this but no detailed instructions were posted. I sent a PM to this person 1-2 weeks ago, no reply. He's not been active on the forum lately. So you'll have to let us know how things work out

from what I can tell the chrome border may not fit around the M7 grills as they fit pretty tight. You'll also have to dremel off the inside edge of the border as it currently conforms to the stock grill...

Old 11-25-2006, 08:32 AM
Mini Mizer
5th Gear
You would have a really hard time doing it. The M7 grills cover the area where the chrome ring would be. The M7 grills actually bolt to the top area of the grill right where the chrome surround would be.

you would have to do some serious modding to pull something like that off, the M7 grill fits compeletly flush with the bonnet so if you had a chrome surround around the edge it would be sticking out pass the bonnet, and look a little goofy. You could try to cut the m7 grill so it is smaller and fits inside of the chrome surround but then how would you mount it??? Because you would be cutting the top area of the grill which is where it bolts onto the car. And cutting mesh is a pain in the @$$! it tends to bend and what not.

I think your best bet is to try and use the Aero grill and have it taking somewhere, to have the outter edge chromed and leave the inside black. But even that would be hard to do.

Personally i dont like chrome and i thinkt he m7 grills look fantastic without it.

Old 11-26-2006, 05:24 AM
schulzmc
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cooldaddy
I'm looking at this same option. I've done a search on NAM and I can only find one person who did this but no detailed instructions were posted. I sent a PM to this person 1-2 weeks ago, no reply. He's not been active on the forum lately. So you'll have to let us know how things work out

from what I can tell the chrome border may not fit around the M7 grills as they fit pretty tight. You'll also have to dremel off the inside edge of the border as it currently conforms to the stock grill...
I tried to find the info you mentioned above and couldn't. Do you have a link to the thread in which this was mentioned? Thanks!

Old 11-26-2006, 07:34 AM
cooldaddy
5th Gear
go here

apparently he added the chrome border to the top only

Old 11-26-2006, 08:38 PM
schulzmc
3rd Gear
Great - thanks!

Now that I know it can be done, I'm going to give it my best shot. I'll have to do both top and middle though. The top only would drive me nuts...

Old 11-26-2006, 09:12 PM
tomm9050
3rd Gear
[quote=schulzmc;1240877]Presently I have the aero kit grills on my dark silver MCSC and I even have and unpainted aero front bumper that was ready to go to the body shop to get painted. However, I changed my mind and decided to stick with the non-aero bumper. Instead, I've decided to remove the aero grills and I have a set of the m7 grills on the way.

what are you going to do with the black aero grills?

Old 11-26-2006, 09:17 PM
tomm9050
3rd Gear
this is a good look

Attached Thumbnails m7 Ultimate Grills and OEM Chrome Border???-05.jpg  
Old 11-27-2006, 05:19 AM
schulzmc
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tomm9050

what are you going to do with the black aero grills?

Once I have them off the car I'm going to list them for sale here on NAM - with the unpainted front aero bumper I have and decided not to use.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:20 AM
schulzmc
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tomm9050
this is a good look
Yes - that's the look I'm going for! I'd love to figure out how to get some chrome around the lower grill like the 07's have.

Old 11-28-2006, 05:10 PM
ryanmsmith
2nd Gear
Yes, I have been wanting that look since I got my MCS in May. I nearly put the aero kit grills on, but didn't quite like the all-black look. I also nearly put a stock black slatted grill, but ultimately a little too hesitant to rip out the grill of my brand new car. I don't understand why there are no aftermarket solutions for this look, but I would guess that the look of the new MINI will make it happen.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:14 AM
Late
1st Gear
subscribed, I've been thinking about that black mesh grill. nice.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:55 PM
schulzmc
3rd Gear
I haven't made any progress on this yet. My M7 grills are still in transit. They were supposed to be delivered last Friday, and then the snowstorm hit Chicago. According to the FedEx site they are sitting in Champaign, IL today. Hopefully they'll get here sometime soon and I can take a crack at this...

Old 12-06-2006, 09:04 PM
schulzmc
3rd Gear
OK - I couldn't put the chrome on with the M7 grills. When I say I couldn't I don't mean it wouldn't work - I actually had a few ideas that I think might have looked decent.

I mean when I test fit the grills without the chrome they just looked too darn good by themselves. Putting some plastic chrome on them would have just messed up the look.

I wish I hadn't waited to get these. In my opinion, none of the pictures I have seen do them justice. Thanks, M7!!! It looks like I need a new signature pic...