Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Euro Parcel Shelf (again!)--Need Instructions!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 04:26 PM
Lyrebard
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Euro Parcel Shelf (again!)--Need Instructions!!!

Ready to install my brand new Euro Parcel Shelf, we ripped open the box, pulled out the parts, and went to look at the instructions in order to get started. Only one problem: There were no instructions!!!

I found Jason Livingood's great pictorial, but was hesitant to do the job based on only a pictorial (especially since there's such a long history of people starting this job only to be stymied by unexpected difficulties). Does anyone out there have step-by-step instructions (or know of any other site that has them) that they might be willing post?

With MUCH thanks!

Old 10-28-2006, 04:28 PM
tc4653
4th Gear
Sorry, I trashed mine but it was very straightforward. It does not mount the same as the part you are about to trash. Two screws, two clips - the only issue is taking the time to make the alignment work. Best of luck.

Old 10-28-2006, 04:35 PM
everytimeidie027
6th Gear
man I'm still waiting for my shelf, it was supposed to come 3 days ago!!!

Old 10-28-2006, 04:36 PM
davavd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://outmotoring.com/How_to_parcel_tray.htm
Here are the ones from outmotoring. They are the ones I used. I'm not a talented person when it comes to working on cars (think "snake-bit"), but am otherwise pretty handy, and I had or got the right tools; nevertheless, this was an exasperating project for me. I printed out the instructions and followed them to a T, and it still gave me a headache and made me angry.

On a lighter note, I recently had the occasion to remove said parcel shelf and reinstall the original part and it only took 5 minutes. I think the parcel shelf designer had an evil streak.

Hope this is what you needed. Best of luck.

Old 10-28-2006, 05:18 PM
Lyrebard
2nd Gear
That's it! The OutMotoring one was the one I knew I'd seen somewhere...(on outmotoring.com, obviously!).

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

If anyone has any tips to share before we start tomorrow (now we have to wait 'til it gets light again), I'm always in the market.

Best,
-Lauren

Old 10-28-2006, 05:26 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Just don't be afraid to yank the bejesus out of the bolster to get it off. I honestly was starting to think I wasn't strong enough to pull it off, and one last, swift yank with everything I had took it off (along with a fingernail in the process).

Using a bit of tape to hold down the screw clips helped as well. The whole thing took maybe 15 minutes, and more of it was spent trying to get the bolster out than the shelf in.

Old 10-28-2006, 05:34 PM
iceckid
3rd Gear
It was a challenge, but if I got it done than you can. I even got the aux light switch in their. Take your time and good luck.

Old 10-28-2006, 05:40 PM
tc4653
4th Gear
I've had mine out since the original install, I installed an add-on power supply. It was no problem for the re-install.

Old 10-29-2006, 12:43 PM
amorican
4th Gear
shelf w/ power and ipod interface

I just finished my shelf install yesterday. I too did a power outlet install along with rerouting my existing ipod interface to fit neatly and cleany within the shelf. The result is a very clean and unobtrusive ipod hookup with all cords and power cable bundled out of site behind the drivers side footwell, out of reach from pedals and whatnot, including the add a fuse circuit being contained within and behind the fuse panel. See below for pics and let me know if you have any questions. I am still working on fiting the driving light switch within the supplied blanking plate and then it will all be complete.

TJM

Attached Thumbnails Euro Parcel Shelf (again!)--Need Instructions!!!-img_0420.jpg   Euro Parcel Shelf (again!)--Need Instructions!!!-img_0422.jpg   Euro Parcel Shelf (again!)--Need Instructions!!!-img_0423.jpg  
Old 10-29-2006, 12:45 PM
amorican
4th Gear
BTW, even with all this stuff into the shelf install, this was a fairly easy process. Time consuming yes, but difficult no, and I am not even good with electrical stuff. Do not let this frustrate you guys...just take your time and do not be afraid to push and pull when needed.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:00 PM
Red Scooter
5th Gear
I read up on both 'how-to's' and a few other NAM postings. You definitely need to take your time and DO give the standard bolster a good yank. It makes a cracking sound but there's no way you could break anything.

The most difficult part for me was getting the bottom clips on 'snap' (Jason's DIY #14/15). I used a standard screwdriver to push them over the lip/edge.

A lot of people had problems with the screws and blue mounts. If it's not too late, make sure you start the screws into the blue clips BEFORE you put them in place. It makes starting/tightening the screw much easier. It was a tip from another NAM member.

Old 10-29-2006, 04:02 PM
Lyrebard
2nd Gear
Hey guys. Thanks for all the tips. Using the outmotoring.com step-by-step instructions, it really did take us less than 15 minutes. (This was my first mod, so I was just a bit nervous about getting everything right. Am slowly becoming a member of the OCD club.)

After the parcel shelf, I went for my second mod, which I thought would be even easier than the first: the GoMiniGo no-holes license plate bracket. Ended up taking for-freaking-ever...who woulda thunk it?

Anyway, thanks again for all the input. At some point I think I'll go for the extra power-point, too, to plug my Nuvi into. Wow, once you start tweaking, it's hard to stop! I think I'm in trouble...