Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior CUSTOM PAINT JOB

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 08:50 PM
Darksky
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an indie/indie MCS. I've changed out the grilles to the Aeros. The windows are dark. I am contemplating a custom paint mod:

a 1 inch wide ribbon sarting on the outside of the headlight and ruuning horzontally above the front wheel. The first fold (switchback, wrinkle, whatever) more or less under the Fender "S" emblem carrying across the door. The second fold under the door handle. carrying to the quarter panel and ending in front of the tail light. At the end the ribbon will be about three inches wide and will appear to have been torn. It will be made up of three rows of black and white checks (checkered flag) starting very small (3 in one inch) slowly growing to one inch squares towards the back. The entire ribbon will be slightly wavy (as if the car had torn a finish line ribbon) because of the waviness very few of the checks will actually be square. all will be shaded to help with the folded effect. (it's really cool we shade the white with blue to make it appear more three dimensional). The outer edges will be pinned in black to make it look as if it is laying on the clearcoat.

What do you think? Is it over the top? I shudder to use the word but, Ricey?
Three inches really isnt that wide. It should not look huge or too gaudy. If it is I will make it stay narrower. I was all into it but now I'm having second thoughts.

Old 04-10-2003, 09:01 PM
SuperMINI03
5th Gear
I think it sounds nice, and I think it would look cool on that particular color MCS. Good luck with getting it done, because it will definatly be a hard project.

Old 04-10-2003, 09:53 PM
Darksky
4th Gear
No One has any more input?

Old 04-11-2003, 05:38 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
I dunno, I'm not feeling it. I don't like stripes/ribbons on the sides of cars. But that may just be me.

R

Old 04-11-2003, 05:50 AM
npartist
4th Gear
It sounds pretty cool to me. But I wouldn't paint mine on cause of resale and the perminate effect. I would get a decal, be it static, sticker, or magnitic. If you get a good place to do a static or sticker decal, you want even be able to tell it isn't painted on. Just my 2 cents

Old 04-11-2003, 05:57 AM
COOPERation
Burbling since 2002
Painting is sooooo permanent...talk to Matt at Cooper Flags in the Sponsor Directory,,,, :smile:

Old 04-11-2003, 06:02 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd suggest maybe trying a printed graphic. too...one you could remove if you don't like it someday. If I was toying with the idea of some stripes, which I do on occasion, I'd try them out in Photoshop. Then I'd try them out on one of the larger diecast model I have (all IB/W)...just as a mockup. Steps like this would help identify modifications to your plan and also help communicate your ideas to the graphics designer. Also, be on the lookout for photos of some of the MINIs being shown at shows...they sport some of the most outrageous graphics I've seen...some of them are pretty cool....there may be some ideas in there somewhere. As an alternative, though...you could just go for it!!! I enjoy the planning...others don't.

Old 04-11-2003, 09:18 AM
Mini-Matt
4th Gear
sounds very cool and anything out of the norm is what having a mini is all about. Don't worry about the "rice" aspect. Most of that stuff is simple plotter cut vinyl. What you are talking about is some cool creative stuff.

I agree with COOPERation -paint is soooo permanent - guess that's why I could never decide on a tatoo. If your idea of cool changes or you decide to sell the car you have limited your options.

If you are handy with Illustrator and can get a file that is to size, we can most likely produce you what your looking for at about 1/2 the cost. Plus when you, girlfriend/wife or new owner wants something new it's much easier and cheaper to change or remove.

matt@cooperflags.com

Old 04-11-2003, 10:08 AM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
i say if you like it then do it. it's your car and you have to drive it. go for it. it will be the only mini like it. good luck.

Old 04-11-2003, 10:26 AM
OBXMini
2nd Gear
I kinda like the thought of some side graphics rather than bonnet stripes as I am not sure how the bonnet stripes would affect the Velvet Red's look.

I have played with a graphic from www.speedgraphics.net/

Here's one I really like...

Old 04-11-2003, 10:30 AM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
I think it sounds like it might be a bit much, but it's not our decision to make! Do whatever you want!

Mini-Matt is a good person to talk to and he has made a very good suggestion....speaking of....Mini-Matt....I NEED SHADOW STRIPES!!!!

Old 04-11-2003, 09:05 PM
Mini-Matt
4th Gear
L.MINI - e-mail me and we'll get you some ASAP!:D Just let me know which style you want and we'll get to work.

matt@cooperflags.com

Old 04-11-2003, 09:24 PM
Darksky
4th Gear
Matt - Check your PM

Old 04-12-2003, 04:01 AM
Darksky
4th Gear
Matt and I have spoken, Niether of us is talented with ILLUSRtATOR. I have never even seen it. can anyone here take my description and build a graphic with this program??

Old 04-12-2003, 05:15 AM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
^^ You have a PM, my friend! :smile: