Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Painted plastic trim

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 01:57 PM
jaynicholson
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painted plastic trim

I've noticed that a lot of people have painted the plastic trim to match the body color. I really like this look.

I'm wondering if those who've had this done could share how much it cost to have this done? Is it a difficult job for a paint shop? Also, I live in Rochester, NY. Can anyone recommend a shop in western NY or even somewhere around Niagara Falls, Canada? Thanks.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:09 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
Colormatching is COOL!

It looks quite good IMHO

The parts will have to be sanded to remove the texture and make them smooth. Then you have to have a flex additive mixed to the paint to keep it from cracking and peeling. Most body shops can do this task.

Some have found that even though they sanded the textrue off themselves the finished product was not up to shop standards and had to be re-finished by the paint shop.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:12 PM
Mini Mizer
5th Gear
I have not had mine done yet but i will have it done very shortly. My shop i use is going to charge me $560 for everything except new clips.

Its a good idea to buy all new clips to hold the wheel arches on and side skirts. As they tend to break or bend. If you reuse them they never seem to hold as tight. You can buy all new clips for about $39.00 (im currently waiting for mine in the mail)

I am also getting EURO wheel arch trim that has the light/reflector in the molding removed. I think it will add a more sleek look, without having the blinker/reflector break up the lines. (Also waiting for these in the mail.)

The actual work is not hard, but it is labor intensive. They have to take off all the moldings and skirts. Sand them down smooth, then use a "filler" primer to get rid of any extra texture the plastic has left. Re-sand down the filler primer, and then paint. The paint will most likely have a chemical added to it like "bulldog" to help keep the paint flexible so it doesnt crack. Its just like painting a textured rubber bumper. The hard part is getting the texture out.

I've seen people get qoutes from $500-$1,500. It all depends on how much the shop will charge for labor. I think my qoute for $560 is very good, and the guy knew his stuff.

Always ask questions and get them to tell you how they plan to do the work and the steps they plan to use.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:14 PM
motorbruce
1st Gear
Had To Show Mine Off

I had my wheel arches painted before I took delivery of the car. The arches were sanded smooth and painted along with the Aero kit. This cost me an extra grand through the dealer, and I didn't have to hassle with it.

I also disassembled a pair of side grills and got the chrome section painted. This was also done along with the Aero kit, so it didn't cost much.

This is the first time I've tried to post pics. If they dont' work, just look at my gallery.

Attached Thumbnails Painted plastic trim-side-of-mini-on-bridge-800.jpg   Painted plastic trim-side-marker-800.jpg  
Old 10-05-2006, 02:16 PM
ka_ciao
4th Gear
Had mine done in 2 steps:
1. One body shop sanded and primed all of the wheel arches for ~$300.
2. A second body shop painted all of the arches + the (factory primed) Aero bumpers & sideskirts for $850.

It's not cheap, but IMHO it looks damn sweet!

Old 10-05-2006, 05:05 PM
MNI LIMO
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have them painted on both of my MINI's. All the arches, the aero kit bumpers and side skirts cost me $700.00 on each car. The arches do not need to be sanded. You just need to make sure your shop uses the correct materials. I would also recommend that you get Ultrashield or similar product on the forward facing parts. Rocks and pebbles will do a number on them over time.

Don

Old 10-05-2006, 05:14 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Mine are at Lambspeed right now in the process of being painted - lots of pictures to come .

Old 10-10-2006, 09:57 AM
chuckt
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
never mind

Old 10-10-2006, 10:53 AM
mini_macky
5th Gear
i had to learn the hard way about not replacing the clips after having my flares done. hehehe. one flew off when i was driving @ 180kph+++

Old 10-10-2006, 04:11 PM
#20Works4me
5th Gear
Seems like you have your answer regarding cost etc, IMO go for it! Along with the Aero kit it is the prime reason I bought my MCS I just loved the stance look it gave the car!