Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Best wire route from Left Rear Wheel to Fuse Panel area

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 07:30 AM
MadHatter
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best wire route from Left Rear Wheel to Fuse Panel area

Hi all,

I am running a separate speed sensor (hall effect / magnetic) from my rear left wheel (will be adding a separate one for rear right wheel some day down the road)

I want this wire to end up near the fuse panel, anyone have some advice about the best way to route it, and particularly, get the wire from the exterior to the interior of the car.
(hehe... guess this is both an exterior and interior mod )

I see a nice protected wire bundle coming the full length of the left side of the car, but it seems to wrap up and go into the engine bay, perhaps to the ECU and the electrical stuff in front of the driver (again engine side of firewall).

I also have see an interesting round rubber plug thing that is 3 t o4 inches in diameter with a protected sleeve (sp?!!) that appears to enter the car on the left side, just behind where the rear passenger would have their feet, it appears to be going under the carpet somewhere.

Any thoughts are appriciated.

This is for a road rally computer, and I don't want to tap into the speed sensor wire.

Thanks in advance for any input you can offer!

Old 08-03-2006, 07:37 AM
MadHatter
5th Gear
and the answer is....

"I also have see an interesting round rubber plug thing that is 3 t o4 inches in diameter with a protected sleeve (sp?!!) that appears to enter the car on the left side, just behind where the rear passenger would have their feet, it appears to be going under the carpet somewhere."

It appears to be the electrical wires for the fuel pump, but it works great to run a wire from the left side rear wheel up into the car and towards the fuse box.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:38 AM
Dave Elliott
2nd Gear
Hi,

I have feeling that there is already a speed sensor output available in the cabin (just in front of the passenger seat in your case. Have a look here:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/engine-dr...-computer.html

Dave

Old 02-02-2007, 01:35 PM
MadHatter
5th Gear
There is, and thanks for the mini2 thread I had not seen...

But I don't want to tap into this wire. (hence, "and I don't want to tap into the speed sensor wire." in my first post)

I ultimately ran the wire as mentioned in thread #2.

Thanks for the suggestion and thread, I just rather go with a sensor and signal conditioned for my rally computer without having to worry about signal levels, averaging across 4 wheels (however bmw does that) and introducing any 'funk' on the speed sensor wire for the MINI.