Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Automatic AC

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 02:08 PM
Macgyver
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automatic AC

Whats so good about it? Is it more of a convience than standard AC?
Thanks
-Shaun-

Old 03-24-2006, 02:27 PM
kapps
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not really. It makes the A/C buttons look like the MINI wings emblum. The performance of auto A/C is questionable in extreme climates as it likes to keep the high fan speed and recirculate on way too long. I've got it but I still use it as a manula A/C. Set the temp, fan speed, and forget it.

Old 03-24-2006, 03:05 PM
Macgyver
1st Gear
Thanks
-Shaun-

Old 03-24-2006, 03:08 PM
kapps
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Cooper Fanactic 101
Thanks
-Shaun-
Hey, my name's Shaun also...I missed it on your first post.

Old 03-24-2006, 03:13 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
I probably wouldn't get it again except that they stick it in the premium package so you don't have a choice unless you buy everything else in the package a-la-carte which is more expensive. It works OK but doesn't cool as well as I would like (it gets a bit hot here in Alabama ) but it is no big deal to switch to manual control.

The only thing I would like to know is.....is there some trick to turning the dang A/C off using only 1 button .

For example, in the heat of the summer, I have the A/C on 64/66 or so to cool it down quicker, then say I want to turn it off. I have to hit the manual "-" button. Since it is on high at that point I have to hit the "-" button 5 or 6 times to turn it off. Anyone know an easier way?

Old 03-24-2006, 03:50 PM
Macgyver
1st Gear
Originally Posted by kapps
Hey, my name's Shaun also...I missed it on your first post.
Hey, Shaun, whats up! lol

Old 03-24-2006, 06:04 PM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have automatic A/C, but I think I would've preferred the old manual *****. As stated above, it came with the Premium package, which I wanted for other reasons...

I kinda feel the same way about auto A/C as I do about automatic transmissions—I hate giving up control to a computer. I want to shift my own gears, and I want to be in full control of the cabin temperature.

For example, the defrost windshield button... Why, in God's name, must it become a freakin' wind tunnel in there? Why do I have to hold that button down for 5 seconds before I can lower the fan speed in defrost mode? Simply idiotic!

The only good thing is that yes, the controls resemble the MINI logo...

Old 03-25-2006, 05:22 AM
KC MCS
3rd Gear
Well, I guess I'll throw in a positive vote...but I haven't had my MCS yet during a hot midwest summer!

For the fall/winter seasons, I really liked it. To me, it's comparable to setting the thermostat in your home...plug in the temp and you're good to go. When the car senses the temperature in the cockpit is not what you set the controls to, it kicks on the heat - and blows it out in a manner to get it up to temperature as quickly as possible, then it slows it down.

Like I said, for Summer AC, I'll have to see, but for Winter heat, I give it a thumbs up .

Old 03-25-2006, 09:04 AM
Macgyver
1st Gear
Thanks guys
-Shaun-

Old 03-25-2006, 09:19 AM
eVal
6th Gear
I use it manually most of the time since I heat up with the seat heaters and live in a moderate climate that we do not need climate control for much. It does come with a better charcoal pollen/pollution filter then the manual unit though and I really prefer that, as well as the way it looks Have had it in two cars and no problems with it or using it.

Old 03-25-2006, 09:24 AM
pooch1
5th Gear
Originally Posted by KC MCS
Well, I guess I'll throw in a positive vote...but I haven't had my MCS yet during a hot midwest summer!

For the fall/winter seasons, I really liked it. To me, it's comparable to setting the thermostat in your home...plug in the temp and you're good to go. When the car senses the temperature in the cockpit is not what you set the controls to, it kicks on the heat - and blows it out in a manner to get it up to temperature as quickly as possible, then it slows it down.

Like I said, for Summer AC, I'll have to see, but for Winter heat, I give it a thumbs up .
I agree any one in a cold climate is constantly fiddling with temp going from colder to warmer area or sitting in traffic or sunny to cloudy area.Its great,the poster makes a good point its also less distracting to just set a temp and leave it.As far as speedier cool down at high temp,the ac puts out a set rate of cooling,turning the setting down to speed up the cooling is useless, all you can do is leave your temp set at a set temp but increase fan speed.Turning it to a lower setting does not speed up the cooling.ust like your house,get a programmable set it,let it do its thing.

Old 03-25-2006, 11:14 AM
hugh
5th Gear
The premium pkg is $1400. If you ala carte the sunroof, mfsw, and obc it's $1300. I said, wtf, for only $100 more on a $24,000 car, I'll try it. It took me a while to get the hang of using it like a manual but I did. I also read one or two posts where the factory screwed up and built it with the auto air anyway.

My only problem was feeling the drag when I hammered down and going like whoops!, I forgot to see the snowflake was lit up. But it didn't take long for me to catch on to that too.

Reading NAM for the past year, I guess most people with manual air have no complaints, while a scant few with auto air do complain. But overall, having gotten used to the convenience, especially in hot weather, I'd probably order it again.

Old 03-25-2006, 11:35 AM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
I really like mine!

It gets the job done, and looks a lot better than "old school" *****.

I usually set the temp to 21-22c, and turn off the A/C. The "auto" function takes care of everything else. (fan speed, and which vents to tun on)

Old 03-25-2006, 02:16 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by KC MCS

Just wait you will see . Here in Alabama when it's 95 & humid & I get in with my A/C set at 68 or 70, it just kinda blows. I mean I want it maxed out immediately blowing cold air in my face before my makeup starts to slide off

Old 03-25-2006, 05:52 PM
gt6
5th Gear
I didn't like it at first but have come to appreciate it. I usually override the automatic mode; keep the temp set the way I like it but change the air flow the way I like it also. My second MINI had the manual setup, and I really prefer the automatic this time around.