Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Trailer Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 08:50 PM
Khodabear
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer Hitch

www.Miniaturetrailers.Com - new NAM vendor is offering a hitch that mounts behind the bumper. The 1.25" receiver is accessed through the backup/fog light/blank plate port.
So I bought one for my 05 MCSC
While I don't have a fog light - waiting for the retrofit kit - I ordered the hitch variation that accomodates the light. On this hitch the receiver is set more forward of the bumper cover to allow room for the light.
Looking at it now I'm not sure I choose correctly as the receiver is quite recessed and it looks like the pin will be hard to access...but I'll know that tomorrow after I finish the installation.
The hitch is simple but well built. The premise is...behind your bumper cover is an aluminum assembley with a hollow bar that runs across the width of the car. Behind the aluminum bar is a foam block that sits between it and a steel plate that is sandwiched between the aluminum and the body itself.
The hitch replaces the steel plate. The square steel cross tube of the hitch takes up the space the foam block usually occupies. It's really very clever, in that with the light or blank plate in place it's totally out of sight.
The directions are well done...the only thing I'd add is this...you have to pry the rear fender flares away from the body to access a bumper cover fastener. It takes a rather forceful pull to get it loose. you get to the screw by prying it away at the seam...but I got the bright idea that I could clean behind the flare so I removed it entirely. This broke the front most plastic fastener - on both sides. Replacements are available from your dealer - mine gave them to me as it would have cost more to generate an invoice than they're worth. But know they will break if you pull the flare all the way away...because you can't slide the flare down off the fastener unless you remove the rocker trim.
I also bought the wiring module they sell. It's a standard DrawTite module...but they customize the main power feed for the MINI and provide very good installation instructions. My only comment on these is you should know that the tail light connector retainer is on the bottom of the left light and on the top of the right...at least on my car.
You have to remove a lot in back to mount the module and get to the taillight connectors. I've stopped for the night. Replacing the rear tower covers - the plastic trim just inside the boot lid - is proving to be more difficult than any step in the process so far. I'll go back at it tomorrow when I'm fresh.
I'm not sure if I'll get a cargo carrier or a trailer...MiniatureTrailers sells color matched trailers but they're rather spendy...there are others out there...but color matched has a certain pimp factor that's attractive

Ok - next day- took an hour to re-fit the left tower cover. Tip: Use a longer bolt on the lower fastener to locate - then tighten the top bolt - remove the lower and fit the correct bolt. If you don't have a longer bolt - and you have an S - the intercooler rear mounting bolts are the same size - only longer.

I still have to get a draw bar - and ooking at the situation I'm not sure at all about lock pin access.
More to follow
Peter

Old 03-05-2006, 12:59 PM
2Miniacs
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the great info. Please keep us up to date as you progress. I'm seriously considering ordering the hitch, trailer, drawbar, and two motorcycle ramps. This way I wouldn't have to trailer the MINI and two sport bikes up to MOTD 06....