Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Umnitza strut bar

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 01:55 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Umnitza strut bar

I'm liking this very much. Very well crafted, flawless CF, very adjustable and super light. When I took delivery, I thought the box was empty Great bargin at $179.99. Matt is a very nice guy to deal with too:smile:
http://www.umnitza.com/

Old 10-07-2005, 02:03 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
will it fit over an ALTA intake?

-Josh

Old 10-07-2005, 02:08 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
I don't see why not. It's not touching anything. Then again, I don't have the Alta:smile:

Old 10-07-2005, 02:18 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Battle Cattle
will it fit over an ALTA intake?

-Josh
If its anything like the BFP carbon fiber bar I used to have then you will need to make 2 notches in the heatshield to allow the bar to pass. No big deal if you have a dremel

Old 10-07-2005, 03:47 PM
Kellzir
4th Gear
How do you like it? does it rub against the felt under the hood? notice a difference in handling? thanks

Old 10-07-2005, 04:51 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Kellzir
How do you like it? does it rub against the felt under the hood? notice a difference in handling? thanks
Well...it feels like the Sparco brace I had on...stiff:smile: It doesn't touch anything...cept for the ECU cover if you have it on. I don't. Though, the few extra ounces I lost vs. the Sparco means I can afford two Big Macs for dinner

Old 10-07-2005, 06:00 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
i want a big mac! take that hard earned money and send me a big mac in the mail!

-Josh

Old 10-11-2005, 04:49 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
They have 40 left. Minimania sells the same units for $400

Old 10-11-2005, 05:12 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by umnitza
that special sauce will kill you...
I want one for that price...... I tried to PM you but was blocked

Old 10-11-2005, 06:44 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by SpiderX
I want one for that price...... I tried to PM you but was blocked
Hi Bob. Give Matt at Umnitza a call [size=1]925•922•5777[/size]. Tell him I sent you as it's not on their web site yet. I'm not the one not selling these...just passing on a good buy if you like CF.

Old 10-11-2005, 08:32 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Hi Bob. Give Matt at Umnitza a call [size=1]925•922•5777[/size]. Tell him I sent you as it's not on their web site yet. I'm not the one not selling these...just passing on a good buy if you like CF.
I called him...thanks

Old 10-11-2005, 10:52 AM
ahamos
Coordinator :: River City Minis
I was so impressed at the look of this bar that I went and ordered one, along with a low-profile battery cover from promini.com. This one seems to meet most of my general objections to strut bars, namely that most strut bars are so thick at the flange that you wind up with only 2 or 3 threads holding the nut.

I've seen JCW strut-bars with Loc-Tite on the nuts because there was so little to hold them in place.

With the recessed nut-holes, I think this should be a much sturdier option. Of course, time will tell...

Thanks for the lead, MSFITOY!

Old 10-11-2005, 05:03 PM
MightyMini
1st Gear
I can personally vouch for Matt at Umnitza. I've known him for exactly 21 years. He is a stand up guy and a straight shooter. He takes great pride in his company and the products he sells. If you do business with him, you will have a great experience. I'm not affiliated with Umnitza in any way, I just think highly of Matt and wanted to share my experiences with fellow NAM'ers.

Old 10-24-2005, 10:58 AM
ahamos
Warning!!!

This bar DOES NOT FIT under a Cooper bonnet.

I received the bar, was awed by its beauty, installed it in just a couple of minutes, and was unable to close the bonnet. When I went to close it, the bonnet bounced back up and was dented from below by the brackets for this bar.

The dents weren't very severe, and they're not noticable unless the light is just right, but damn it, my bonnet is dented--or rather buckled. I even removed the little spacer plates: it just doesn't fit.

Caveat emptor.

Fortunately, it's so beautiful that a couple of local owners are interested in buying it from me.

Old 10-24-2005, 02:17 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Are you talking about the liner dent? I'm wondering how different the Cooper is to the S...
Originally Posted by ahamos
This bar DOES NOT FIT under a Cooper bonnet.

I received the bar, was awed by its beauty, installed it in just a couple of minutes, and was unable to close the bonnet. When I went to close it, the bonnet bounced back up and was dented from below by the brackets for this bar.

The dents weren't very severe, and they're not noticable unless the light is just right, but damn it, my bonnet is dented--or rather buckled. I even removed the little spacer plates: it just doesn't fit.

Caveat emptor.

Fortunately, it's so beautiful that a couple of local owners are interested in buying it from me.

Old 10-24-2005, 04:40 PM
ahamos
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Are you talking about the liner dent? I'm wondering how different the Cooper is to the S...
The Cooper bonnet slopes more, and does so from a point closer to the windshield. The bolt-heads pierced the hood-liner and made impressions in the metal. I tried cutting a hole around the bolts in the liner, removed the bolt to see if a button-head bolt would make a difference, and tried much cursing and begging. Nothing worked: the bonnet would not latch shut.

I would take pictures of the bonnet, but the buckling is so minor you can barely see it. You almost have to feel it to notice it if the light isn't perfect.

This was really upsetting to me. Not just because of the damage to the bonnet, but because I was really excited about this particular part. It's by far the best-looking car part I've ever beheld, and I couldn't wait to see what improvements it might make. Now I'll never know... (melodrama alert)

Fortunately, there was absolutely no damage to the bar or any of its components. I'm selling it locally to a serious track enthusiast. Hopefully he'll let me give it a whirl before & after it's installed.

Old 10-25-2005, 12:55 PM
JS
3rd Gear
I too bought this brace for how nice it looked. Upon installation, in a MCS, I found that it, along with the previous brace, kept my hood from closing completely. It latched but it held the rear edge up slightly. I replaced the AL2 spacer with 1/8" washers under the bolt heads, so the bolts could tighten down completely. Now the hood closes properly. I did a clay squeeze test to be sure the bar was clearing the underside of the hood with the insulation installed. ahamos, you might try removing the insulation before you give up on the brace completely. Then place thin spikes of clay on the areas where you have had clearence issues ( I then took pieces of waxed paper and placed them over the clay, to keep the clay from sticking to the underside of hood - then closed and opened the hood, to see how much the clay is compressed) I'm very pleased with the brace and noticed an improvement in turnin while entering corners. Well worth it and it adds very little weight to the front end to do it's job.JS

Old 10-25-2005, 01:09 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JS
I'm very pleased with the brace and noticed an improvement in turnin while entering corners. Well worth it and it adds very little weight to the front end to do it's job.JS
any notable increase in understeer?

Old 10-25-2005, 01:32 PM
ahamos
Originally Posted by JS
I too bought this brace for how nice it looked. Upon installation, in a MCS, I found that it, along with the previous brace, kept my hood from closing completely. It latched but it held the rear edge up slightly. I replaced the AL2 spacer with 1/8" washers under the bolt heads, so the bolts could tighten down completely. Now the hood closes properly. I did a clay squeeze test to be sure the bar was clearing the underside of the hood with the insulation installed. ahamos, you might try removing the insulation before you give up on the brace completely. Then place thin spikes of clay on the areas where you have had clearence issues ( I then took pieces of waxed paper and placed them over the clay, to keep the clay from sticking to the underside of hood - then closed and opened the hood, to see how much the clay is compressed) I'm very pleased with the brace and noticed an improvement in turnin while entering corners. Well worth it and it adds very little weight to the front end to do it's job.JS
I considered removing the insulation, but I'm concerned that it might be for more than just sound-dampening. Does it also protect the bonnet from searing, paint-blistering temperatures? I don't want a ruined paint job just for a strut-bar.

Can anyone comment on this?

Old 10-25-2005, 01:44 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by ahamos
I considered removing the insulation, but I'm concerned that it might be for more than just sound-dampening. Does it also protect the bonnet from searing, paint-blistering temperatures? I don't want a ruined paint job just for a strut-bar.

Can anyone comment on this?
I haven't noticed any ill effects from running without the liner for over 6 months:smile:

Old 10-25-2005, 01:46 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"I considered removing the insulation, but I'm concerned that it might be for more than just sound-dampening. Does it also protect the bonnet from searing, paint-blistering temperatures? I don't want a ruined paint job just for a strut-bar.

Can anyone comment on this?"

Tony Nuzzo

Old 10-25-2005, 02:12 PM
JS
3rd Gear
I reistalled my insulation after a few weeks, so I don't know the long term effect. But as Misfitoy said, "after 6 months" Try it and see. I don't think the paint is gointing to be affected from engine heat much more then Sun heat gain. Your paint in a matter of some years will crack and fade to some extent anyway. Just take care of the paint the best you can with wax and enjoy it. And realize that paint today is soooooo much better then in years past.

JS

Old 10-26-2005, 09:01 AM
xizor
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kyriian
any notable increase in understeer?
strut bars do not affect under/oversteer, just the rigidity of the chasis

Old 10-27-2005, 01:43 PM
Detonics
3rd Gear
I've been having this Strut bar for about 4 months. My friend is running this business. I've been tracking with it and I'm loving it, I can feel the difference the moment I install the strut. The Steering is firmer and it holds the chasis strongly. I feel my car like a Kart.

Been doing lots of hard cornerings at the track and street.The strut is doing a good job.

I have the Alta Intake, and yes.. you'll need to cut the metal a lil bit and bend it outwards.

Old 10-27-2005, 03:20 PM
mybroscoop
6th Gear
Maximusmini is running his twincharged car without a hood line and so far there has been ZERO paint blistering or heat expansion.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Umnitza strut bar