Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Aero kit Spoiler on MC-Write up!!

Old 08-24-2005, 05:29 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aero kit Spoiler on MC-Write up!!

I installed my new Aero kit spoiler on my 2003 MC today. A full writeup is on the way, but here are some before and after pix.

It wasn't hard to do, but was pretty messy, and hopefully someone can learn from my mistakes. I struggled with removing the oem spoiler, until I found a trick that made it really easy to remove---that is I spent 30 minutes with floss and string not getting far except with cut fingers and broken thread--then with this 50 cent tool, I got the whole spoiler off within 5 minutes. Details coming in writeup.

Only have another 4 hours of setting time!

Old 08-24-2005, 09:32 PM
reggie1
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So why the change, octaneguy? Looks good!

Old 08-24-2005, 09:50 PM
OctaneGuy
Thanks ! Well I guess I've always liked the sportier look of S parts on my MC. Maybe could say I'm 'S'orising it. LOL

Aerokit spoiler was always out of reach until I found a deal here on NAM that I couldn't pass up. Maybe also wanted to do a mod just for the sake of it?

Stay tuned..s skirts are next and mcs chrome gas cap. Lol. I know I'm behind the curve here, but I'm catching up!

Richard

Originally Posted by reggie1
So why the change, octaneguy? Looks good!

Old 08-25-2005, 09:57 AM
OctaneGuy
Here's the writeup

Aero Kit Spoiler on MC
This article shows how to remove the OEM MC Spoiler and replace it with the Aero Kit Spoiler. It's not a difficult task, but it can be messy, and you have to have the right tools to start with. Learn from my mistakes so you will have a perfect install!

Tools and Materials:
#51-71-0-146-086 Aero Kit Spoiler
#82-69-0-149-253 Betalink adhesive kit
11mm socket
Plastic Squeegee
Slotted Screw Driver
Disposable brush for applying glue
Painters tape
Quik Detailer
Lots of rags you can throw away

This is the BEFORE (OEM MC Spoiler)

Finished!

Download and Print Instructions

The instructions don't come with the Aero Kit spoiler, so get them from Motoringfile.com (http://www.motoringfile.com/howto/Rear%20Spoiler.PDF)

The Betalink box is the adhesive you will need. #82-69-0-149-253
Should cost less than $13.

Inside is a small can of Benzene which is used to clean the mounting surfaces before applying the adhesive and after to clean up any residue left behind. There is also a silver sausage looking thing which is the adhesive. Hang on to the plastic tip and spatula and discard the rest.
You won't need the sandpaper or instructions.

Arrived by FedEx Ground

The installation and removal really isn't a difficult process. It's something you can easily do yourself and shouldn't take longer than 1 hour to do. However, there are several things to watch out for, so don't make the mistakes that I did!

When the box arrived, I thought it may have been empty. It was so light. But upon opening it, I was happy to see that it was in perfect condition!

Black Area Isn't Tape!

The black area looks like tape, but it's really a channel and that's where you will squirt the adhesive.

Spoiler Before

This is what my OEM Spoiler looks like from the rear.

This is what my OEM Spoiler looks like from the side. The spoiler is held in place with studs and double sided adhesive tape.

2003 and On...

If you've got a late build 2003 like I do, you will have 2 black caps under your boot. I believe 2002 and early 2003 builds use 3 mounting points. Just identify these locations.

Remove Cap

Insert a screwdriver against the center nub and pull away. With a few tries, you will whisk away the plastic cap from the hole. Shortly after I took this photo, my cap went flying and disappeared into the darkness. Hopefully I will find it later!

Don't Do This!

Resist the temptation to insert the screwdriver from the side like this. You will mar your paint, and deform the cap. You will want to reuse the cap after you finish the installation.

Here's the Stud

My spoiler had 2 threaded studs on each end. You can see the nut here.

Socket

You need an 11mm socket. You won't need much effort, they aren't locked down very tight.

Get Out the Lubricant

After removing the nuts and finding that the spoiler still wouldn't budge, I tried using some WD-40 and floss & string to slide it under the spoiler.

Struggling!!

I really didn't get very far. After 30 minutes, I succeeded in cutting my fingers with the floss despite using different holding techniques--wrapping around ends of screwdrivers and pulling. I tried lubricating it with WD40 as well, but each time the floss would break under force. I tried a thicker string, but that wasn't much better. But I thought the idea of using WD-40 was the right direction.

Squeegee!!

So what tool did I have that was safe to use against paint and could be used with lots of leverage?? The plastic squeegee! I use these for applying vinyl to my MINI. They cost around 50 cents and are perfect for this application.

Work it!

Just work it under the spoiler and lift. I sprayed WD40 above and below it--letting it get between the paint and the squeegee so I wouldn't scratch the paint, and to loosen the adhesive.

Success!!! It's Loose!!

Continue Working Around!

Just Lift!

What a Mess!

Bare Bottom!

Stud Hole #1

Stud Hole #2

Clean Up!

I used some Quik Detailer and a microfiber towel to remove dirt and dust.

Side by Side Comparison

The black strip on the top spoiler is double sided adhesive tape. The black strip on the bottom Aero Kit spoiler is just black paint. You can see how much deeper the new spoiler is.

Close Up of Stud

This is the stud on the OEM MC Spoiler. The new spoiler doesn't have any studs.

Grab the Spoiler Adhesive Box

Discard the sandpaper and instruction. There is a handy plastic tip included but I must have done something wrong because as the sausage got empty, it no longer friction fit in the tip, and the glue ran all over the place.

Silver Sausage with Tip

Works Great for awhile...

Until the sausage starts to become empty and slips out of the plastic tip which was about half way around the spoiler.

Goopy!!!

Here's the adhesive. I ended up using a disposable brush to apply it. This stuff is sticky and stringy and gets all over the place.

Test Fit!!!

Ok before I get any further here, make sure you test fit the spoiler in place just so you know how it will sit. I did this, but didn't show a step. Now BEFORE you clamp the spoiler in place you HAVE to cover the stud holes with tape!! I remembered this AFTER I put the spoiler down.

OOops! Don't Forget the Tape!

It's much harder and messier to put the tape after you've put the glue on! I used painters masking tape here. I'm not sure how long this will last since it's paper based. They say to use adhesive tape. I assume this step is rather important to prevent any future leaks. I put 2 layers just in case. The good thing about having removed the spoiler is seeing where I needed more adhesive, but it meant a lot more clean up time!

Fit Spoiler in Place

Once you've got the glue down, put the spoiler in place. This is tough cause it can fit higher or lower on the boot lid here and it tends to slide around. In my case, it slid around enough to make me wonder if I had put enough adhesive, so I pulled it off. Ugh, not very smart---the stringy goopy stuff got everywhere!!

Tape Support

Fortunately, it's easy to clean up while it's still wet using the included Benzene. Oooh so that's why they give us such a big can!!! Yes, you'll be glad as you may need it all like I did. However because I put it in place twice, it had a few minutes to harden, and that actually made it easier, because the second time I placed it down, it just stuck in place. I could still move it with some effort, but it no longer slid around. I applied pressure and some painters tape.

Painters Tape

You're supposed to place the tape on even intervals, but I had already held the spoiler down with my hands and let it set, so I applied the tape where I saw fit.

Let it Set for 6 hours with Tape Applied

Now remove the tape! Oohh it looks nice!! Remember don't drive the car, or open the boot until after 6 hours!! Overnight is best!

Rearward Visibility

Still looks good as far as seeing the brake light is concerned.

Compare to OEM Spoiler

Looks Good ...

From all angles!!

I love it!

Tips! Remove ALL Betalink Adhesive while it's wet. Once it dries, nothing will remove it! Have a disposable paint brush. Wear gloves!! My hands are black! Test fit spoiler first, and cover holes with adhesive tape! Be generous about applying Betalink adhesive. The instructions call for a 30mm gap at the front of the channel. I presume this to allow the adhesive to flow without overflowing. 30mm is about 1.2 inches. Have a plastic squeegee on hand for removal of the spoiler as well as a lubricant like WD40.

I think it looks so much better. I was concerned that the rearward visibility of the brake light would be hindered, but it really doesn't seemed to have changed that much, but the visual lines are greatly improved!

Last edited by OctaneGuy; 12-18-2005 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:17 AM
KiLO
6th Gear
Looks awesome Richard! And, thanks for the write-up.

Old 08-25-2005, 12:23 PM
OctaneGuy
Thanks KiLO!! Hope it helps somebody. I just went out and gave my spoiler a tug and the whole car shook---so it's on pretty securely! I don't think it will ever come off again. LOL

Richard

Old 08-25-2005, 12:56 PM
KiLO
6th Gear
Haha, nice... well hopefully you'll never need to remove it

Old 08-25-2005, 01:43 PM
jaxmini
3rd Gear
Great Write Up

Did you sell your original spoiler? I may be interested.

Old 08-25-2005, 02:17 PM
OctaneGuy
Haven't sold it yet---have someone that said he was interested, but not sure if he still is--will let you know!

Originally Posted by jaxmini
Did you sell your original spoiler? I may be interested.

Old 08-25-2005, 02:32 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
thanx for the write-up, I will definetely use it when I can afford to put the new JCW competition spoiler.

Old 09-06-2005, 12:28 PM
OctaneGuy
For anyone curious about what the stud mount looks like on the OEM MC Spoiler, this is it. I carefully lifted the rubber gasket to shoot this picture.

Old 09-06-2005, 08:47 PM
ultramini
2nd Gear
Nice write up

Thank you for your Aero Spoiler "How To" I am going a used one this week. I am always enjoy reading your How to instruction. Thank you.

UltraMINI

Old 09-06-2005, 10:45 PM
OctaneGuy
Thanks for the nice words! Glad you found it helpful! Feel free to PM me or email me if you have any questions!

Richard

Originally Posted by ultramini
Thank you for your Aero Spoiler "How To" I am going a used one this week. I am always enjoy reading your How to instruction. Thank you.

UltraMINI

Old 11-03-2005, 04:06 PM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you noticed any difference in how dirty the back of the car gets?

I've been wondering whether my MCS spoiler is one of the reasons the cars backside gets so dirty so fast.

Old 11-03-2005, 04:59 PM
xtremepsionic
4th Gear
Originally Posted by OldRick
Have you noticed any difference in how dirty the back of the car gets?

I've been wondering whether my MCS spoiler is one of the reasons the cars backside gets so dirty so fast.
I tend to think thats not the case OldRick, my cooper doesn't have any spoiler, and the back gets about 4-5 times more dirt on it than the rest of the car. Its very odd, my girlfriend commented on how dirty the back was after a rain storm, then I led her to the front and side of the car, and it was basically all clean and shiny.

Old 12-18-2005, 04:15 PM
cycleguru
4th Gear
Thanks

Richard AKA OktaneGuy, Thank you very much for your awesome write up. I just removed my cooper S spoiler and it was made alot easier because of your pics and words. Thanks Richard its MINI owners like you that make this web site what it is. (The best).

Manny
DAWORKS

Old 12-18-2005, 04:28 PM
OctaneGuy
You're welcome and thank you!! Always glad to hear one of my articles being helpful!

Richard

Originally Posted by cycleguru
Richard AKA OktaneGuy, Thank you very much for your awesome write up. I just removed my cooper S spoiler and it was made alot easier because of your pics and words. Thanks Richard its MINI owners like you that make this web site what it is. (The best).

Manny
DAWORKS

Old 06-20-2006, 12:40 PM
acitydweller
6th Gear
great mod... good work there

Old 06-20-2006, 01:48 PM
elbum0
3rd Gear
What's the difference between the Aero kit spoiler and the MCS spoiler? I have the aero kit and my spoiler looks the same as yours, but I was under the impression that the aero kit didn't include a different spoiler, and all MCS's have that same spoiler?

Old 06-20-2006, 01:50 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
The MCS spoiler has an arch shape.
The aerokit spoiler is continuously attached to the top of the hatch.

Old 06-20-2006, 02:05 PM
elbum0
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Dave
The aerokit spoiler is continuously attached to the top of the hatch.
Oh I didn't even realize that... So I have the aero kit, why the heck didn't they install the aero kit spoiler?

Old 06-20-2006, 02:12 PM
acitydweller
6th Gear
sounds like you had the MINI spoiler and upgraded to the MCS one no?

Old 06-20-2006, 02:26 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
Originally Posted by elbum0
Oh I didn't even realize that... So I have the aero kit, why the heck didn't they install the aero kit spoiler?
Did you tell them that you wanted the Aero kit Spoiler? They don't come in the Aero Kit. Two different part numbers.

And Octane Guy, your tips are also applicable if anyone wants to put a JCW wing kit on their MINI.

Old 06-20-2006, 02:48 PM
elbum0
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DrDiff
Did you tell them that you wanted the Aero kit Spoiler? They don't come in the Aero Kit. Two different part numbers.
Oh, well that explains it then. I wasn't even aware that a special aero kit spoiler existed until today, so no I did not order the spoiler specifically, just the aero kit. Weird.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:43 PM
dannys
1st Gear
Thanks for the great write up & photos OctaneGuy! It saved me a lot of time. I used something called De-Solv-It from Walmart instead of WD-40 type products. It worked great & wasn't messy, & cleaned up easy. I put photos & captions on my website at
http://dannyspics.smugmug.com/gallery/1786678

Follow Up: Be sure you clean off the stuff you use to remove the double-sided tape very thoroughly. I noticed a few days later after doing mine that some of the cleaning liquid had run down onto the bumper & caused some very slight discoloration. Not sure if it was from the De-Solv-It or the 3M Adhesive Cleaner that I used. I did the removal & initial cleaning in the dark. I should have hosed it off right away.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Aero kit Spoiler on MC-Write up!!