Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Show off your gauges here! Pics here!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 08:23 PM
REDWORF
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Recoop

I love your gauge set up. I see it as more of a dada art statment than as a functioning gauge pod. It looks like something from a Terry Gilliam's movie, for example, "The Twelve Monkeys."

Seriously, I love it.

Kelly

Old 08-14-2005, 08:35 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Since this thread got bumped up i figure i will ask a question that has left me rather curious. Do the pillars actually come "flying" off as many people state when someone mentions pillar pods? I have heard mixed info. The airbag is actually up in the roof but is anchored behind the pillar. Will this effectively launch it into the drivers face...or will it just slightly pop the top half off enough to allow the airbag to release out? I thought i had read of someone who was in an accident and they said the pillar did not leave its original position.

Getting real-life info on this topic would be very helpful. Pillar pods are a nice location for gauges, so it would be good to know if we can have the on our cars.

cheers

Old 08-15-2005, 12:08 AM
RECOOP
4th Gear
Originally Posted by REDWORF
I love your gauge set up. I see it as more of a dada art statment than as a functioning gauge pod. It looks like something from a Terry Gilliam's movie, for example, "The Twelve Monkeys."

Seriously, I love it.

Kelly
I'm not sure about Dada art, but thanks for the compliment. Form + Function or Function + Form works for me

Old 08-15-2005, 05:16 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
Since this thread got bumped up i figure i will ask a question that has left me rather curious. Do the pillars actually come "flying" off as many people state when someone mentions pillar pods? I have heard mixed info. The airbag is actually up in the roof but is anchored behind the pillar. Will this effectively launch it into the drivers face...or will it just slightly pop the top half off enough to allow the airbag to release out? I thought i had read of someone who was in an accident and they said the pillar did not leave its original position.

Getting real-life info on this topic would be very helpful. Pillar pods are a nice location for gauges, so it would be good to know if we can have the on our cars.

cheers
It's my understanding that the cylinders for the side airbags are behind our pillars, not the air bags themselves. Air bags are over the side windows, so these pillar covers will not move during deployment.

Old 08-15-2005, 06:29 AM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Here's my AutoMeter ProComp Ultra-Lite with the AutoMeter mounting cup.

The mounting cup bracket bolts right into the screw behind the tach so no hole to drill.

I'm getting 16.5psi at redline (which is 7000rpm on my MTH'd MCS)

Old 08-15-2005, 08:50 AM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
Autometers: Inexpensive and somewhat accurate electrical gauges...

Pro Comp Oil pressure on left

Pro Comp boost pressure on right

Pretty dull by comparison to some in this thread

Old 08-16-2005, 01:32 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor

cheers
hey guys....following up on my own post
:smile:

This comes from another thread about totaling a mini into a mountain (now in the mini talk forum i believe, i hope its ok to use this pic)

The roof liner airbags deployed, but notice that the A pillar in fact did NOT launch as many had earlier believed. The idea that just the top opens a bit is true. Just figured i would share. Seems like a pillar gauge pods are plausible

Old 08-17-2005, 02:27 AM
S1monLM
3rd Gear
Defi BF series 60mm in amber

Old 08-19-2005, 05:28 AM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
S1monLM,

That's a very nice gauges setup!

Old 08-19-2005, 07:07 AM
doomsdaybob
4th Gear
I like S1monLM's setup but w/ the heat here in FL there's no way I'm goin w/o my AC vents!

Not that we see that the pillar mount is feasible anyone interested in mfg'ing?

Old 08-19-2005, 07:27 AM
docross47
2nd Gear
Seriously think about making and selling

Originally Posted by minionrails
Thanks For the responese ...at least some of them .I appreciate the concern of the gauges becoming a hazard .Has anyone taken the pilller down .If you did you would realize the one ,its teathered to the car and two the air bag is a curtain that come down from the roof and is just anchored at the piller .The piller moves just enough for the nylon strap to free its self.
The questions about where to get the mount is ...I built it . It has a a/f ,oil pressure,volt meterand boost gague. They are autometer ultra lite gagues with red lights, i have a night time pic to but it didnt post for some reason.
Well that,s about it . Thanks Again
Dude,

That is the sweetest set-up around. You should seriously think about making a couple, throwing out a price, and getting some extra change for yourself. I would buy one!!

Old 08-20-2005, 09:10 PM
Moskito
5th Gear
Originally Posted by andy@ross-tech.com
RECOOP,

Speaking as someone who has too many gauges ... you have too many gauges.

Wow, I am not sure who's car this is, but the square gauges look like someone "stole" them from a refrigerator or the outside of a house. :-)
I am still looking for a smart idea to add a single boost gauge to my crono pack, and possibly an analog clock.
H

Old 08-21-2005, 04:07 AM
Profpatpending
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Moskito
Wow, I am not sure who's car this is, but the square gauges look like someone "stole" them from a refrigerator or the outside of a house. :-)
I am still looking for a smart idea to add a single boost gauge to my crono pack, and possibly an analog clock.
why dont you move down the radio and fit in your gauges there

Old 08-21-2005, 04:38 AM
05JCWS
6th Gear
H
That is Andy's car.

Old 08-21-2005, 09:26 AM
Profpatpending
3rd Gear
here is something I'm working on I know this is not the real deal but I wanted to see what the finished job would look like,

I will be able to monitor a host of different parameters in fact there is no limit to the possibilities this can do,
what do ye think,
I am installing a NOS system and wanted to monitor AF and EGT on the display, parts are on order and will post the finished job soon.

Attached Thumbnails Show off your gauges here! Pics here!-gauges1.jpg  
Old 08-21-2005, 01:06 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
that would be really nice but I hope you have a center speedo.... I would really like to see that setup!

-Josh

Old 08-21-2005, 01:31 PM
Profpatpending
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Battle Cattle
that would be really nice but I hope you have a center speedo.... I would really like to see that setup!

-Josh
yep I have the centre speedo,
you done a mod on your rev counter and speedo changed the face colour a while back using Photoshop,
any chance you could share the files you used so I can maybe speed this up a bit?

Old 08-21-2005, 02:03 PM
morknmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DarkMiniCooperS
Here's my AutoMeter ProComp Ultra-Lite with the AutoMeter mounting cup.

The mounting cup bracket bolts right into the screw behind the tach so no hole to drill.

I'm getting 16.5psi at redline (which is 7000rpm on my MTH'd MCS)

Thanks, everybody, for this VERY INFORMATIVE thread. I was thinking that the standard monopod in the MINI looks lonely. The dual pod option looks good, but I couldn't justify the price of the Chronopak or the on board computer (although I should have). I had no idea when ordering my MINI that I would be interested in car stuff again. These set-ups present options for converts like me.

DarkMiniCooperS's adds the one gauge that is sorely missed. I had not considered an asymmetrical display, but it sure looks good in an understated manner--a MINImalist approach.

I admire RECOOP's fancy composition. Whether Dada or SciFi I think it's delightful. Makes me want more gauges! Maybe I can get the steel fabricator in the alley behind my apartment to make me an asymmetrical version of it.

Does anyone know if chrome trim rings are available for such after market gauges? Sorry, I realize chrome is an anathema to functionalists.

To me this is as much fun as "Show me your wheels".

Old 08-21-2005, 02:05 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by morknmini

Does anyone know if chrome trim rings are available for such after market gauges? Sorry, I realize chrome is an anathema to functionalists.

To me this is as much fun as "Show me your wheels".
I dont know about add-on chrome rings for gauges, but there are companies that offer gauges that come with chrome surrounds. Check out www.summitracing.com, they have a huge selection of gauges.

You could also just take the rings and have them chrome plated....another idea

Old 08-21-2005, 03:45 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus

The roof liner airbags deployed, but notice that the A pillar in fact did NOT launch as many had earlier believed.
LOL that would be funy...the A pilar launching...LOL...so although you get saved be the air bag you have a huge red line across or face vertically from the a pilar..LOL...

The A pilar is ancord by three small straps that attach to the car....and they are a pain if you ever take the a pillar off...belive me...

Old 08-21-2005, 04:29 PM
morknmini
6th Gear
I dont know about add-on chrome rings for gauges, but there are companies that offer gauges that come with chrome surrounds. Check out www.summitracing.com, they have a huge selection of gauges.

You could also just take the rings and have them chrome plated....another idea

Thanks. Now I have a project (part of which is to sort through Summit Racing's amazing inventory list)!

Last edited by morknmini; 08-21-2005 at 04:33 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-21-2005, 07:56 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Tuls
LOL that would be funy...the A pilar launching...LOL...so although you get saved be the air bag you have a huge red line across or face vertically from the a pilar..LOL...

The A pilar is ancord by three small straps that attach to the car....and they are a pain if you ever take the a pillar off...belive me...
hahaha i know, i know.....but people kept telling me that i shouldn't put gauges there because it would shoot out and hit me in the face....so i had to make sure

Old 08-22-2005, 07:26 AM
eMINI
5th Gear
Andy's a guy for whom obtaining accurate information outweighs aesthethics.

Old 08-22-2005, 08:25 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Indeed. It would be cool if those gauges were round and matched the gauge faces of the MINI, but for $50 for both of them (with peak hold & accuracy within 0.1 * C, I ain't complainin').

Originally Posted by eMINI
Andy's a guy for whom obtaining accurate information outweighs aesthethics.

Old 08-22-2005, 08:30 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

:smile:

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Show off your gauges here! Pics here!