Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Aerokit painted and installed for $863 Bucks!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 02:24 PM
treadhead
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aerokit painted and installed for $863 Bucks!

Here is how you too can get a new Aerokit painted and installed for your '05 MCS for $863.00.

First of all, get hit in the butt by some kid not paying attention to where he's going. Not too hard mind you, just hard enough to scratch and crack the rear bumper cover resulting in a $812.00 estimate from the collision center at the local BMW dealer. Then, if the kid's dad is willing (desperate) to pay cash for the damages instead of involving the insurance company, you're well on your way.

Being a nice guy, I only asked for $650.00 when I was certain only the bumper cover was damaged. Actually the kid's Nissan Altima sustained much more damage. Kudos to MINI for a tough little car.

Secondly, convince the wife that this is the perfect opportunity to get a $2,500.00 to $3,000.00 upgrade for a fraction of the cost. Beg and plead if you have to. Throw in a few, "this could be my birthday, anniversary, Christmas, etc... present."

Next, order the unpainted aerokit from Classic MINI for a thousand bucks plus shipping. No tax! I tried for the prepainted version, but they don't have it in liquid yellow. The kit lists for $1,250.00, but being a member of NAM gets you a 20% discount. Shipping cost me $68.00.

Have the aerokit shipped to the body shop of your choice. In my case, it was my dad's. I figured I'd rather pay his business than a stranger's. He did not cut me any slack though, nor did I expect him to. He charged me $445.00. I've seen other prices for painting aerokits on other threads so this may seem a little on the high side. But, the color alone cost $100.00! If you can get it done cheaper, go for it. But remember you get what you pay for and this is a two-tone job; color and black (wheel arch extensions, lower parts of bumper covers and side skirts).

Finally, hang the parts yourself. Cost is free. You only need simple tools and you can down load the instructions on this forum. The process is relatively easy and takes a couple hours. A couple of finer points: The temp sensor mount in the stock lower bumper grill is different than the one in the aerokit grill (non-existent, just a plastic ridge with a slot). I used a black zip-tie through the slot where the mount should be, then around the temp sensor. A secure arrangement and the temp sensor still works. In addition, the front tow bolt access grill plug (lot of words for a little piece of plastic) is not identical between the '05 MCS stock grill and the aerokit grill. And of course, the aerokit grill did not come with a plug. I assume that there was a design change in the '05 where the aerokit hasn't caught up. I'll have to order a new plug. Aerokit side skirts don't come with door sill plates. If you are very careful you may be able to peel the old ones off the stock parts and transfer them with a new length of double sided tape. Heating with a hair dryer may help in loosening them. I haven't done it yet, but you definitely want to cover up (protect) that new paint on the door sills.

So $1,068.00 to Classic MINI for the kit and $445.00 to get it painted comes to $1513.00. Subtract the $650.00 received to pay damages and I'm out $863.00. Not bad. Good luck.

Old 03-29-2005, 02:58 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Great story.

Classic won't ship the aerokit to Hawaii (too large and too expensive!)
Shipping is about $2 a pound and extra for oversized stuff.

You didn't charge enough for the kid who damaged your rear bumper!
At least the $812 would have been justified since you were not at fault and need to be compensated for your damages and time to do the repair.
You are just too kind.