Interior/Exterior Steering wheel glossy caps over the radio functions

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 01:07 PM
Archercat
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steering wheel glossy caps over the radio functions

Hey guys, just picked up a 17 Cooper S and loving it. I was looking around but couldn't find anything on ecs or outmotoring, but might just be looking in the wrong place. I am wanting to replace the gloss black in my car as much as possible, especially where it gets fingerprints easily. Do you know if I can replace these glossy caps on the multimedia controls on my steering wheel? See pic of the new ride if I attached it correctly lol. I have seen I could replace the bottom panel but looks like it might have to be a jcw one :( and I'm not trying to claim to have what I don't have etc.. but have not see anything for the two on the side where the volume button and such are. I'm not super keen on putting a sticker over them, I'd rather have an oem matte black piece then try to put a cover over them.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Old 04-30-2019, 02:21 PM
usshelena725
2nd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
I'll let someone else chime in on the glossy bits, since I actually like those a lot!

As with respect to the actual steering wheel - that isn't the JCW wheel it's the 'MINI Yours' wheel, and my favorite one! So no need to make a swap there, you are good!

Old 04-30-2019, 02:41 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Amazon! I got all my CF interior bits from there. (steering wheels, trim around the stereo, trim on speakers, vent trim, door locks, and door speaker trim) All in was about $250ish

Old 04-30-2019, 02:43 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
For the steering wheel, I wrapped the three spokes with carbon fiber vinyl. You have to take the airbag off, but it isn't too bad. You could also spray them with plastidip to give them a matte finish.

This was on a 2012, but I imagine it's a similar process.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:06 PM
Archercat
1st Gear
Thanks guys! What I meant is that the only replacement insert for the bottom part that was matte that I found was a jcw one (jcw label instead of just the uj) and since I don’t have that, I didn’t want to put it on 😬.

That carbon looks sick. Ideally I’d like to replace the door panels where it is glossy black with the same look, but maybe it’s all more trouble than it’s worth and just deal with the gloss.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:41 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
I'd suggest wrapping the door panel bits vs replacement. I wrapped all the piano black trim in my car and it turned out really well. It's tedious, but the door panels aren't made to be taken apart.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:46 AM
Archercat
1st Gear
Thanks for all the info guys! I guess I'll leave the doors to another time. I figured they would be hard to remove, but if I was just replacing with new ones, it wouldn't be the end of the world if the existing ones got damaged while removing. Kind of like the headlight trim.

Anyway for the steering wheel caps... even if I spray them with plastidip or wrap them, do they snap off (similar to the dash panels)? Of do I need to remove the whole module (screw in the back).

Thanks again!