Interior/Exterior Schroth 4 point belts on F56

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 07:51 PM
hadjiikong
3rd Gear
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Schroth 4 point belts on F56

Good news everyone! The gen 2 Schroth 4 point belts do fit on the F56 without any modification. I had them sitting around from my old R56 and figured what the heck would give it a try. They bolt into the same locations but on the bolt for the front seats you need to take off the speed nut [which can be done by hand] slide the bushing off then it slides right on, put the bushing back on along with the speed nut. I can post photos later this week but did both the passenger and driver side in about 15 minutes.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:21 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
this is great news. good job giving it a try
definitely in for pictures.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:24 AM
TomF56
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Following this... look forward to seeing some pictures!

Old 05-27-2017, 06:54 PM
jessetaylor
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do these work like factory belts in the event of an accident? I.e. pre tensioner when applying brakes, etc.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:20 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by jessetaylor
Do these work like factory belts in the event of an accident? I.e. pre tensioner when applying brakes, etc.
I have always read that harnesses are more dangerous on the street when in an accident compared to the stock seat belt.

When getting into an accident on the street with a harness your body is going to experience much higher deceleration forces due to the harness being stiffer and tighter than a normal seat belt. This is not a good thing.

The stock seat belt and airbag are designed to slow you down in the longest time possible.

To compound onto that with a harness on the street when a collision happens your torso tightened down so much that it will barely move during deceleration, but you know what isn't tightened down? Your neck. That doesn't paint a pretty picture in a collision does it?

If your roof crushes you will also be crushed due to being held in too well by the harness.

This next part I took from another persons post and it sums it up pretty well

First thing first: Racing harnesses sacrifice low speed safety for high speed safety!

Most of your collisions on the street will be a lowish speeds (say 30-55mph). The standard safety equipment in the car is designed to be safest in those sorts of accidents, because high speed accidents are unlikely and illegal. They can afford to let you decelerate slowly (which is safer) because the chassis is strong enough to absorb these impacts.

Racing harnesses throw away that motion (which is bad) to keep you well inside the new structure (the roll cage) which is designed to maintain integrity in high speed crashes. You sacrifice the safety of low acceleration for the safety of not being crushed. The sacrifice is made because the risk of a high speed accident is much, much higher during a race.

Put it a different way - racing harnesses increase the risk of internal damage and bruising but reduce the risk of being dismembered or maimed.

Second thing: The safety equipment in your vehicle is a system. Changing that system may, or may not, compromise the entire system. This is unavoidable. Whether a harness will do so or not is beyond my expertise, but it's safe to say the risk is there. Furthermore, a racing harness is part of a different system (cage, head+neck restraints) which could also be compromised by a change in any component. It works both ways.

In my opinion the increase in high speed safety of a racing harness is not worth the increased risk of internal and head+neck injuries which come as a result of not interacting properly with the airbags.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:39 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
I have the option of using the stock belt around town an the 4 point Sparco harnesses when I get around to tracking it, or spirited drives like MOTD. Also have a roll bar to keep the roof from messing up my hair. That's the good thing about the Schroth harness, you can remove it and/or just use the OEM belts.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:05 AM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
It is very true that you should NOT use racing harnesses on the street, results will not be positive in relation to the stock belts. Schroth does offer DOT legal harnesses that will work on the street or can be moved out of the way for use of the factory 3-point belt. Schroth has a good amount of info on the technology on their site here:

https://www.schrothracing.com/technology

I use their Rallye 4 ASM harness in my Mustang (see below), but I only use them when on track even though they can be used on the street.

Attached Thumbnails Schroth 4 point belts on F56-harness-schroth_rallye4_drivers_01.jpg   Schroth 4 point belts on F56-harness-schroth_rallye4_drivers_02.jpg