Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Installing gauge on lower half of steering column?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 12:26 PM
polepino
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Installing gauge on lower half of steering column?

Hey all,

I just got two gauges installed(boost/oil temp) by a friend of mine within the past 3 weeks and all of the sudden I'm gauge crazy Long story short I'm definitely thinking of adding two more(oil press/fuel press) but was thinking I'd like to add one more in the future(volt). Anyhow, since I've been thinking about this and where to mount the rest(I have the cravenspeed flexpod) Ive been doing some searching for options and I came across a picture of an option that I can't seem to find. The poster had a picture of two of his gauges that seemed to have been extensions off the steering column which were actually located on the lower end(not near the tach) beneath the turn signal and headlight switches(?). Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about or direct me to the picture? Help!

Old 12-02-2015, 04:57 AM
chris.j.lamb
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 12-02-2015, 09:28 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
^^ that but basically the gauges go on the opposite end, under the steering column. I've never seen something like that. I have my gauges installed on the top of the column. Are you able to contact the poster who posted up that picture you saw? Maybe it was a custom thing.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 12-03-2015, 10:33 AM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
You could do that under gauge with a pair of these:

http://www.cravenspeed.com/the-belmont/

Just take the two halves of the steering column shroud off and these bolt on from the back size so there is no visible hardware and a secure fit.

-=Kellen

Old 12-03-2015, 08:52 PM
polepino
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chris.j.lamb
Nah not that.

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
^^ that but basically the gauges go on the opposite end, under the steering column. I've never seen something like that. I have my gauges installed on the top of the column. Are you able to contact the poster who posted up that picture you saw? Maybe it was a custom thing.
I don't remember where I saw it!

Originally Posted by Kellen
You could do that under gauge with a pair of these:

http://www.cravenspeed.com/the-belmont/

Just take the two halves of the steering column shroud off and these bolt on from the back size so there is no visible hardware and a secure fit.

-=Kellen
Thanks Kellen! This is very close to what I think I saw. It was a picture of two gauges installed on the underside of the steering wheel with the picture taken looking down through the wheel. At first I thought that didn't look very practical with leg hitting potential but now that I'm thinking about getting more gauges this might be the solution!

Old 12-04-2015, 09:30 AM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Cool, I hadn't thought to use them like that before but it would definitely work. You'd be able to put them wherever you wanted.