Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Ordered Rally Lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 04:50 PM
Miniature
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordered Rally Lights

Hey, hey!

Just wanted to share my excitement with all of you MINI lovers. I just ordered my rally lights and will have them put on mid-July! I've been waiting quite some time for this, and now it's getting painful knowing how soon I'll have them.

Anxiously awaiting daylight-like night drives!

Miniature

Old 06-30-2004, 05:44 PM
AMPR
3rd Gear
Here's a picture of the Alta Rally Light kit I had installed on my MCS couple of weeks ago. I've taken an already eye catching car and bumped it up a notch, so I'm really pleased with the results.

Originally Posted by Miniature
Hey, hey!

Just wanted to share my excitement with all of you MINI lovers. I just ordered my rally lights and will have them put on mid-July! I've been waiting quite some time for this, and now it's getting painful knowing how soon I'll have them.

Anxiously awaiting daylight-like night drives!

Miniature

Old 06-30-2004, 09:44 PM
ninjamini
5th Gear
Looks good, looks really good

voids warantee.

Old 07-01-2004, 06:38 AM
petecrosby
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ninjamini
voids warantee.
Unfortunately, correct. At least as far as the engine is concerned.

Old 07-01-2004, 08:43 AM
no_affiliation
5th Gear
bah you can never have enough lights! We have for rally lights in the upper grill Congrats on the purchase

Old 07-01-2004, 11:02 AM
AMPR
3rd Gear
The engine has been left untouched, so there's no reason the lights should ever void the warranty. Under the Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act the dealer needs to show that the aftermarket part actually caused the failure of said component(s). They of course might have the right to void a warranty if for example the car is it can be shown that the car is regularly or constantly abused, or driven in a manner other than specified by the manufacturer. Without a doubt.

Keep in mind that our cars, all new cars for that matter, come with a little black box so they can pull that information directly off the car's computer. They could of course say, if the engine were to suddenly fall out of the engine bay, but would hard pressed to prove it and would need to show how the rally lights cause the engine to fall out of the compartment.

An altogether different argument could be made if the bumper unexpectedly failed in an emergency. However, given how it's installed and all the well thought out design of the product we shouldn't expect that to happen.
Originally Posted by petecrosby
Unfortunately, correct. At least as far as the engine is concerned.

Last edited by AMPR; 07-01-2004 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:49 PM
REDWORF
2nd Gear
Airflow Estopple...

Perhaps the warranty issue hinges upon obstruction of airflow to the radiator and / or oil cooler thereby increasing operating temperatures such that it might shorten the life of the motor in certain warmer climates.

A second argument could be made that the lights stick out beyond the limit of the bumper and therefore might be forced back into the cooling equipment in even a low speed impact.

It could also be a ploy to get you to buy a roof rack to mount the lights upon.

Old 07-01-2004, 10:35 PM
AMPR
3rd Gear
Good point Red, only I haven't seen any fluctuations in engine temperature. The indicator needle continues to hover slightly below mid-point, right where it was prior to having the rally lights installed.

Your second argument is also valid but given the engine compartment's design, regardless of the lights on the hood/bonnett or bumper, I think it's likely a risk all MINI owners take in any impact, regardless.

Both good points but both could be argued either way.
Originally Posted by REDWORF
Perhaps the warranty issue hinges upon obstruction of airflow to the radiator and / or oil cooler thereby increasing operating temperatures such that it might shorten the life of the motor in certain warmer climates.

A second argument could be made that the lights stick out beyond the limit of the bumper and therefore might be forced back into the cooling equipment in even a low speed impact.

Old 07-04-2004, 08:41 PM
mattcoon
3rd Gear
From MotoringFile

Originally Posted by AMPR
Good point Red, only I haven't seen any fluctuations in engine temperature. The indicator needle continues to hover slightly below mid-point, right where it was prior to having the rally lights installed.

Your second argument is also valid but given the engine compartment's design, regardless of the lights on the hood/bonnett or bumper, I think it's likely a risk all MINI owners take in any impact, regardless.

Both good points but both could be argued either way.
This was posted on MotoringFile on June 11 specifically about 4 rally lights.http://www.motoringfile.com/2004/06/...on_of_warranty This of course means any dealer has an easy excuse to void it for 4 lights.

Old 07-04-2004, 09:21 PM
ninjamini
5th Gear
I beleive that it had something to do with the electrical system. The poor mini altenator can handle 2 additional lights but not four!

Originally Posted by REDWORF

Old 07-05-2004, 07:43 AM
jcs
3rd Gear
Any detailed pictures of the attachment, please
I like the lights down there and not on the grill.

Thanks

AMPR]Here's a picture of the Alta Rally Light kit I had installed on my MCS couple of weeks ago. I've taken an already eye catching car and bumped it up a notch, so I'm really pleased with the results.[/QUOTE]

Old 07-06-2004, 09:16 AM
Cooperb!
3rd Gear
Yep, any detail on the install much appreciated!

How do they attach to the bumper, how much damage do you have to do to the existing bumber skin and/or grill?

Any other close-up pictures?

They look coooooooooooooooool

Chris.