Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior nGauge OBDII Plug-in Analog Output Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 05:05 PM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
nGauge OBDII Plug-in Analog Output Gauges

We have a brand new product in the works for you. Our Complete Gauge Kit for the MINI has been a popular item because the car lacks any instrumentation whatsoever and because the Marshall gauges and our FlexPod look stock, and fit into the car without a hitch. Well, there is one hitch, several hours of professional grade install.

Not anymore. We are designing gauges from the ground up, and they will read directly from the OBDII port. So the install time for anyone will be in the 15 to 30 minute range from start to complete finish. Instead of a digital reading you'll have a classic analog output with a design that perfectly matches the MINI interior.

We will have a lot of updates starting this week. Sign up for our nGauge email list. Over the next two weeks leading up to the final release we will be highlighting each portion of what it takes to design a gauge, the materials and processes used, hiccups and all. Those on the email list will get first crack at pre-ordering the limited number of them that will be available before Christmas.

Any questions?!

Old 12-03-2013, 05:20 PM
cholyoke
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super. Signed up and looking forward to finding out how much they cost. Will these fit in your gauge pods, so that you can get a water temperature gauge that reads from the OBDII port and a normal oil pressure gauge?

Old 12-03-2013, 11:48 PM
trwxxa
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Subscribed!

Can't wait to see what you guys have come up with.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:33 AM
MyroMini
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very nice. Hopefully, in addition to the standard silver background, I hope you'll also think of the JCW folks with the black gauges background :-)

Old 12-04-2013, 07:02 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
While this is a fantastic idea for ease of installation and factory look, I still have concerns...

What is this gauge setup going to cost in comparison to a ScanGauge or the Torque app? Why is that a direct comparison? Because the benefit to an analog gauge installed and wired to sensors is accuracy and response.
By reading off the OBDII port, I question the accuracy of my readings as well as experiencing slower response times than a traditional gauge.

What I see here is the look and expense of real analog gauges with the inaccuracy and slow response time of the OBDII reading. So purely aesthetics.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see this product being cheaper than traditional gauges, nor do I see it reading as well as traditional gauges.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:43 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
It's about time! I've been wondering why someone hasn't done this before. I'm looking forward to these and if the price is reasonable I will be selling my recently purchased SGII and Cravenspeed mount. Subscribed to your email list and am looking forward to updates. Any chance of a group buy after the first of the year?

Old 12-10-2013, 01:59 PM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Originally Posted by cholyoke
Super. Signed up and looking forward to finding out how much they cost. Will these fit in your gauge pods, so that you can get a water temperature gauge that reads from the OBDII port and a normal oil pressure gauge?
Yep! The gauges are actually built directly into our 52mm Pods. That would allow you to install another typw of gauge on the opposite side.

We also plan to offer an oil PSI nGauge in the future. It will require more installation since that info cannot be queried from the ecu, but we will be able to make it easier to install than the current gauges on the market.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:00 PM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Originally Posted by MyroMini
Very nice. Hopefully, in addition to the standard silver background, I hope you'll also think of the JCW folks with the black gauges background :-)
That is certainly part of the plan. After the release of the first set of MINI nGauges we will begin to design faces for the JCW next.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:01 PM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Originally Posted by InjectedGT
While this is a fantastic idea for ease of installation and factory look, I still have concerns...

What is this gauge setup going to cost in comparison to a ScanGauge or the Torque app? Why is that a direct comparison? Because the benefit to an analog gauge installed and wired to sensors is accuracy and response.
By reading off the OBDII port, I question the accuracy of my readings as well as experiencing slower response times than a traditional gauge.

What I see here is the look and expense of real analog gauges with the inaccuracy and slow response time of the OBDII reading. So purely aesthetics.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see this product being cheaper than traditional gauges, nor do I see it reading as well as traditional gauges.
This setup will be more expensive than a ScanGauge, there is no question about that. We are fans of the digital offerings and have been pushing Torque for years now, but we see this as a different animal. Not just because of the looks, but because it is a specific software designed for the MINI. Of course all ECU's are different, and generic software has to be written to querie the ecu at intervals that all of them can handle. We were able to push the MINI ecu over it's limit then dial the interval down just enough to keep it happy and get us a good refresh rate on constantly changing data like the boost. We have been testing it on a car side by side with a mechanical gauge for some time now. We are happy with the results and will post video of it. There is a slight lag, but not one of any consequence. We are also able to make the movement much smoother and cleaner than the mechanical gauge. Making it much easier to actually read. We will have a comparison video out in one of the upcoming updates.

I know you hoped to be wrong, but you are only half wrong. Also, I think if you compared the cost of the nGauge setup with tho cost of a professionally installed and wired gauge set, that the nGauge saves some significant coin.

Last edited by CravenSpeed; 12-10-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:17 PM
cop1406
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ordered my set. I have a Edge Ct reader that gives me these readings but am looking forward to this being a more stock/professional look. Will post my impressions when they are shipped to me and installed.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:19 PM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Thank you very much!

Old 12-16-2013, 03:35 PM
minibx
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Kellen
We have a brand new product in the works for you. Our Complete Gauge Kit for the MINI has been a popular item because the car lacks any instrumentation whatsoever and because the Marshall gauges and our FlexPod look stock, and fit into the car without a hitch. Well, there is one hitch, several hours of professional grade install.

Not anymore. We are designing gauges from the ground up, and they will read directly from the OBDII port. So the install time for anyone will be in the 15 to 30 minute range from start to complete finish. Instead of a digital reading you'll have a classic analog output with a design that perfectly matches the MINI interior.

We will have a lot of updates starting this week. Sign up for our nGauge email list. Over the next two weeks leading up to the final release we will be highlighting each portion of what it takes to design a gauge, the materials and processes used, hiccups and all. Those on the email list will get first crack at pre-ordering the limited number of them that will be available before Christmas.

Any questions?!
I was looking forward to get this great looking product but I don't see if it is comparable with R53's is it? Thanks...... Great looking product.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:50 PM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Originally Posted by minibx
I was looking forward to get this great looking product but I don't see if it is comparable with R53's is it? Thanks...... Great looking product.
Not yet. We will be working to make nGauge compatible with the R53 but this first version is only for Gen 2 MINIs. Get on our nGauge email list if you want to be notified about future compatibility. The R53 is next on our list right now.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:04 PM
minibx
5th Gear
Not yet. We will be working to make nGauge compatible with the R53 but this first version is only for Gen 2 MINIs. Get on our nGauge email list if you want to be notified about future compatibility. The R53 is next on our list right now.
I did, I'm on the list and I've gotten the email's ( very cool) of the progress but didn't realize that they were not for my beloved R53 lol oh well I'm sure you will have something soon. Thanks Kellen

Old 12-16-2013, 04:17 PM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Originally Posted by minibx
I did, I'm on the list and I've gotten the email's ( very cool) of the progress but didn't realize that they were not for my beloved R53 lol oh well I'm sure you will have something soon. Thanks Kellen
Sorry to disappoint, but stick with us. Now that the first rev is ready to go, we will be adding new features as soon as we can roll them out. First should be JCW black gauges (because that is easier than writing new software). The next phase will be to adapt the code to work on the R53 and other vehicles.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:49 PM
CPap
4th Gear
Hello Kellen,
I put my order in for a set. Look forward to seeing boost levels and a/f soon! Was wondering if the bezels can be swapped out at a later date? My CM has black bezels and would like to eventually match them up. The silver will due for now.

Thanks!
Chris

Old 12-17-2013, 01:49 PM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Originally Posted by CPap
Hello Kellen,
I put my order in for a set. Look forward to seeing boost levels and a/f soon! Was wondering if the bezels can be swapped out at a later date? My CM has black bezels and would like to eventually match them up. The silver will due for now.

Thanks!
Chris
Send me a PM. I'd like to see some photos of your CM. I think we can make the black bezels happen for you if you send me your order number too.

-=Kellen

Old 12-17-2013, 02:10 PM
CPap
4th Gear
Send me a PM. I'd like to see some photos of your CM. I think we can make the black bezels happen for you if you send me your order number too. -=Kellen
Thanks Kellen!

Old 12-17-2013, 02:45 PM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
No Problem! Glad you made good use of that fat coupon code before it expired.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:08 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
My 2013 R56 has silver bezels everywhere except the tach which is black. Does anyone know if the black bezel for the tach can be swapped for a silver one?

Old 12-17-2013, 03:43 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cerenkov
My 2013 R56 has silver bezels everywhere except the tach which is black. Does anyone know if the black bezel for the tach can be swapped for a silver one?
In for answers.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:19 PM
CPap
4th Gear
No Problem! Glad you made good use of that fat coupon code before it expired.
Really happy to see that discount. It was a huge help and incentive! You guys are really going above and beyond to get me matching bezels. I appreciate that.

Chris

Old 12-17-2013, 04:22 PM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Update: JCW style Black Gauge Faces could be available as early as Jan 3rd!

Old 12-17-2013, 09:59 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by cerenkov
This is one of my pet peeves. So far as I know, the only solution is to remove and disassemble the tach, then either paint the bezel or swap it with the bezel from one of the earlier years. (The tach comes as a complete unit.) Kellen if you'd share your source for the silver BMW paint... or toss my bezel in the paint booth with the next run of gauge bezels

The nGauges look terrific, too bad that I bought the Craven/Marshall set last year and then went completely OCD on installing them. (see the How To forum.) Yes it was several hours, very satisfying but I envy the ease of install for the nGauges. Great job on the entire project - aesthetics, engineering, everything. I think you nailed it.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:56 AM
MyroMini
4th Gear
Update: JCW style Black Gauge Faces could be available as early as Jan 3rd!
Nice. Me happy :-)

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior nGauge OBDII Plug-in Analog Output Gauges