Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior NEW M7 Tuning R53 Carbon Fiber Front Bumper Canards Are IN STOCK now!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 04:13 PM
bjcarter2
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm trying to understand what the big deal is here.

To me eyes, the canards look nothing alike.

Having come from the Subaru community where design theivery runs rampad, the Mini community doesn't seem to have nearly the problem if it can be even considered one compartitively speaking. Everyone's design are different. Some are good, some not-so, some just down right tacky.

If stealing design is a problem, then perhaps its best to get a patent on something to protect it. I mean, what else can be done?

Old 01-22-2014, 11:11 PM
tummi_gummi
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See from my perspective it looks like a few out to get m7 based off bad incidents. It sounds like m7 has had some rough times between the previous owner undergoing a deathly sickness and ownership changing. Now you have a new owner taking the heat from customers holding grudges. The problem is that majority of the time you see bad reviews. Angry people tend to act out more and state their minds versus people that have great experiences. Sure if they are asked the will tell their positive stories but that's why google reviews and other sites are bad because you don't get a fair reading. It would be like if eBay only showed negative feedback. I say cut m7 some slack. They seem like they are willing to help customers from the past who have had issues. I watched in another thread where I saw someone commenting on a rusting m7 product that they purchased from another user. M7 credited them on the part they didn't even sell them. Now if you ask me that is great service. I don't want to see m7 go under but I myself am very high up in a small business and I know just how much the fewest bad comments can negatively affect a company.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:12 AM
6000pounds
4th Gear
Originally Posted by tummi_gummi
I just see a bunch of enraged customers who are sad because their air flow diverter or strut bar didn't add 50 horsepower. Let's open our eyes kids these is the real world. You know where big fish eat little fish. Snap into it and knock the sand out of your *****as.

That's cute. That was the easily the dumbest thing I have read this week. Today is Thursday though so you still have a chance.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:19 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bjcarter2
the Mini community doesn't seem to have nearly the problem if it can be even considered one compartitively speaking.

If stealing design is a problem, then perhaps its best to get a patent on something to protect it. I mean, what else can be done?
Oh, design thievery is here. Getting patents on a part is one thing, pursuing it is another. Nobody in this industry sells nearly the volume to make patent pursuit--especially for Chinese manufactured parts--an option.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:03 AM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 6000pounds
That's cute. That was the easily the dumbest thing I have read this week. Today is Thursday though so you still have a chance.

Now that there is funny.....

Old 01-23-2014, 12:00 PM
tummi_gummi
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 6000pounds
Glad to see someone's at my maturity level to enter a pissing match with me. Thanks for being trolled.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:06 PM
6000pounds
4th Gear
Originally Posted by tummi_gummi
Glad to see someone's at my maturity level to enter a pissing match with me. Thanks for being trolled.
You sure showed me.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:32 AM
AutoxCoop
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bavmotors
I don't think that's it at all. If people have doubts about a company, the company should respond. I constantly see Way commenting on products, standing behind what he sells.
Yeah but i thought it was funny when one web site said something like

Great mini products but with out the "way" attitude. I think that said it best

Old 01-24-2014, 05:45 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sometimes that "Way" attitude helps... At least he is honest, and not afraid to tell you that something is junk, even if it costs him a big ticket sale.

One time, I was sitting in the middle of Iraq bouncing around online, picking up parts for my initial build, and saw a Siebon CF hood at WMW for a good price. I sent Way an email, and surprisingly within like 15 minutes I received a PM here on the boards from Way, saying to call him if at all possible. So I put my cloths on, walked a mile through the FOB in the middle of the night to the phone center, and gave him a call. He already knew who it was when he picked up, and we got straight down to business.
First thing other than Hi ****, was these hoods have had some severe fitment problems, and he doubted this one would be any different.
We talked about it a few minutes, and since he was straight foreword about the problems that would probably come up, I decided to take a gamble, get it out of his shop, and shipped to my house.
When I returned home 6 months later I began trying to prep that hood to be fit to my car, and after a few days of nothing wanting to even go onto the hood, I decided to call it a loss, scrap the idea and move on. Never gave any fault or grief over the interwebs to the place I got it from, and never even called Way to complain about it.
Way let me know full on first thing what I was getting into, and if that is having an attitude to some, well... Those people where probably corrupted into thinking that the product they are thinking of buying is 100% perfection by that company, and supporting vendors just like you. They push the junk, full on knowing it is JUNK, and could use some serious work to just meet the expectations of the consumer. Whatever it takes to put another dollar into their pocket...

Old 12-05-2014, 12:09 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Bump....

Old 12-05-2014, 01:00 PM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
well M7 pulled the item in question, atleast the link is now bad.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:17 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by rckrzy1
well M7 pulled the item in question, atleast the link is now bad.
Nope...
Still selling it...long discussion about it being stolen...new owners keep selling it...shame.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:33 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Nope...
Still selling it...long discussion about it being stolen...new owners keep selling it...shame.

The canard " conflict " was put to bed once people actually saw both products . The only similarity was their location on the car .

Old 12-05-2014, 08:36 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53
Oh yeah, forgot you guys added a little lip and changed the tape that holds them on...

Still a crap part from the leader in copying other peoples designs without regard for the actual designer.

I still wonder how M7 is still in business. :(

I see you are still on this crusade so once again if this looks like adding a little lip you need to get a better monitor

Additionally the fact that the two items in question are designed for different applications didn't seem to register did it ? The M7 piece is designed for the aero front end where the other item was made for the stock front end but could be modified for the aero.

I do not know how many variations of canards would work on the limited space offered by the Mini so there are bound to be similarities but the claims of copying are absurd and unfounded but that never stops the chatter . In a way its helpful keeping the interest up so its all good once the dust clears. As for how M7 has stayed in business for 12+ years they must just be lucky

The JS design

Name:  P1020698_zps154caa18.jpg
Views: 1693
Size:  113.2 KB

The M7 product

Name:  canard1_zps83f602ac.jpg
Views: 1165
Size:  72.2 KB

Name:  canard2_zps8fb47215.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  83.3 KB

Old 12-06-2014, 07:17 AM
Jonathan Hendren
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why are you so quick to bash M7? I do not see you bashing NM Eng or Alta...their intakes are nearly identical to each other.....or Eibach or TEIN for making nearly identical springs....or better yet Megan racing....when I had a Civic they would all make fun of the guys/gals who bought Rota wheels because they were "imitations"....at some point you are going to have to look past the end design and look at the people of the company....call them and speak to them and develop your own opinion dont just badmouth because of what you have heard through the grapevine.....there are only so many ways to make parts for a particular car...so YES some of them are bound to be similar..........

Old 12-06-2014, 06:19 PM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hmmmm, Rota being made fun of? They should be built better than most Chinese copies & priced reasonably. They get much love over in the UK.....talking minitorque, not TotalMINI.
Hope the new M7 owners redeem the name. The guys deserve a clean slate.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:31 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53
This whole thing, just because of the fact M7 did it again, and borrowed (or just flat out stole) somebody else's product and tried to play it off as their own, kinda makes me want to ditch all the M7 crap off of my car and rethink how I am doing my exterior.
Then they don't even have the guts to come back into their own thread... Whats up with that? Its kinda looking like they are running from you Joel... Tails between their legs, leaving a trail of pee!
Guess you better start a crusade against any vendor here selling upper strut mount defenders plates while your at it.....Last I checked about all the vendors here have their own version of them and OMG they look exactly alike too

There are probably about 30 different companines manufacturing and selling this exact same canard/splitter mounted to same bumper location for many of the tuner car lines today. Not to mention the fact that these front air foils/wing splitters/ were actually a carry over part from the aeronautical industry so by your ill-logic you should be calling the lawers who represent Boeing